Double Digital D&D Delights! GOG.com has new goodies & a new sale!

Great news for any geek whose gotten at least part of their D&D dose from computer gaming. GOG.com has finally come through, and added all the D&D Gold Box games to its database - and at a price that won’t empty your bag of holding. They’ve gathered them in 3 collections, The Forgotten Realms Archives 1, 2, and 3. Number 1 includes the three Eye of the Beholder games (bundled for $9.99), number 2 includes many that would work perfectly as introduction to 5E’s organized play Expeditions (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Hillsfar, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures, bundled for $9.99), and number 3 is very suited to the upcoming 5E storyline with Dungeon Hack & Menzoberranzan (bundled for $5.99).

And if that isn’t enough for you, all the D&D games that GOG.com has had in its library for a while are on sale for a further deep discount this weekend (until Tuesday, August 25, 3:59 AM GMT). You can get individual titles for 60% off, or the whole bundle (or whatever you have left to purchase) for 80% off! That’d be for Neverwinter Nights I&II, Icewind Dale I&II, Baldur's Gate I&II, Planescape Torment, The Temple of Elemental Evil, and two more…

Find them all here.

All have been reworked or platformed to work on both Windows and Mac OS X (except for NWN1&2 and one other that don’t work on Macs :( )

So have at it, whether you are awaiting Sword Coast Legends, or have some spare hours until your next tabletop game.

If I wasn’t so busy gearing up to run Rage of Demons (and playing Princes of the Apocalypse) I’d be tempted to waste a few weeks playing through the new lot of them….

1c1ddea0b43a6ad40c0769f5514f33beae3ac591.jpg

2874bf64771b10dcae77e9cf94efbaced7ef55e0.jpg

785778b42219acffcefbc571425e4bde6e403c99.jpg

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
lol.. nice... Guys. THe copy protection is gone, they are perfectly playable. Hillsfar can do some weird things but for the most part that works too. I would advise that people copy characters from Pool of Radiance to Curse and Not Pool of Radiance to Hillsfar as the characters come out very weird.

Dahak

Explorer
Minor correction: it's not all the Gold Box games. It doesn't contain the three Dragonlance games (for which they could easily get the rights), the two Buck Rogers XXVc games (for which it's extremely unlikely they could get rights), or the original Neverwinter Nights (damn near impossible unless someone rebuilds the MMO servers).

But very pleased to see most of the AD&D games legally available again.

Mavkatzer

Explorer
If you follow OP's link, at the top of the page there is a color picture of a skeleton warrior smashing through a door (it's coming at you!!!).

Can anyone please tell me which edition and book that came from?

I have thought of that picture many times over the years. It was one of my absolute favorites back in the day, and have been unable to locate it in a long time.

Thanks!

Ricochet

Explorer
Wanted to update after reminiscing some more: The best AD&D game I played pre-Baldur's Gate was Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. It was a blast. :) Eye of the Beholder games close second.

Lands of Lore felt like a D&D game too (EoB clone), and was excellent too.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
If you follow OP's link, at the top of the page there is a color picture of a skeleton warrior smashing through a door (it's coming at you!!!).

Can anyone please tell me which edition and book that came from?

I have thought of that picture many times over the years. It was one of my absolute favorites back in the day, and have been unable to locate it in a long time.

Thanks!
Well, it was certainly used as the cover of Eye of the Beholder. I'm not sure if the image was also used (before or after EOB) as the cover of a book.

View attachment 69853

Prince Atom

Explorer
Well, the skeleton is certainly of a piece with the covers to the revised 2E PHB and DMG, what with people busting through doors. Maybe it was passed over for the cover of the DMG?

I'm kind of grumbly that the code often includes a Strength cap for women. Okay girls, you can pretend to be Red Sonja, but heaven forbid you should pretend to be stronger than Conan. ::grumpy face::

Prince Atom

Explorer
How do they handle the copy protection issue?

I just got Gateway to the Savage Frontier and in the game folder there's a PDF called Passwords. For that one you had to look up a word in one of the manuals. Presumably for the code-wheel protection there's a similar PDF, but when I was playing Pool of Radiance last year there was 1) a website where you could input the code and get the word; and 2) if you typed STING after the .exe file name at the command prompt it would skip copy protection. That's just for PoR, though, I dunno if there's a bypass for any of the other games, and GOG games run DOSBox in the background. You'd have to edit the config file to put that in.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases