Core+1

FarBeyondC

Explorer
WHAT. SPECIFIC. THINGS. DID. YOUR. PLAYERS. WANT. THAT. THEY. COULD. NOT. DO?

Not anyone else but myself, but here's an example with specificity:

Technically speaking, I can play a tiefling (because they're in the phb) and be anything I want.

However, I can't play a tiefling with a variant appearance and do the same, because wanting to have a forked tongue or tail locks me into using the Sword Coast Adventure Guide.

Which makes no sense to me.

WHAT. CANTRIPS?

Booming Blade, Greenflame Blade, Sword Burst (If you count burst attacks as melee)- all from SCAG.

Is Gith even out yet? I thought that's in a book that what, is coming out right now?

Been out in select locations since the 18th, which is plenty of time to look at it, decide to want to change a character in order to incorporate something from it, and get told that you can't do that and be a war wizard.

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=6803170]FarBeyondC[/MENTION]

I have the same problem with the cleric. Technically, playing a non-polytheistic cleric forces me to use Xanathars Guide as the +1.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It does. It's not in the character builder part, but in your campaign section. You turn off the content you don't want for your access to the campaign prior to using the character generator.
Oh cool. I've never used the campaign tools, just the character builder. That's good to know though.

CapnZapp

Legend
Next question?
No more questions. That's the only interesting part of PHB+1 that merits discussion.

Why? Since otherwise it's simple.

Either you want to play in the AL, in which you need to abide by its rules.

Or you're not playing in the AL, and you're not affected by any of its restrictions.

Except the suspicion WotC uses it to not test content from supplement A together with supplement B; which is reprehensible.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No more questions. That's the only interesting part of PHB+1 that merits discussion.

Why? Since otherwise it's simple.

Either you want to play in the AL, in which you need to abide by its rules.

Or you're not playing in the AL, and you're not affected by any of its restrictions.

Except the suspicion WotC uses it to not test content from supplement A together with supplement B; which is reprehensible.

What combinations between the PHB and two other books do you think are notably unbalanced in ways that are not present in PHB itself or PHB plus one?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What combinations between the PHB and two other books do you think are notably unbalanced in ways that are not present in PHB itself or PHB plus one?
To be fair, hilarious language of the practice being "reprehensible" aside, WotC has stated that PHB +1 is a design principle that they follow, not worrying about how Volo's Guide races stats interact with SCAG subclasses when working on them. Balance in 5E is slick enough that I don't see any particularly broken combos, but the designers are only working with PHB combos when making a new book. And this is good.

Remove ads