Forum Suddenly Switched How Named Are Displayed?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Hover over the xp bar with your mouse. Title is still there it's just not advertised.

In a tragic and perplexing oversight, my smartphone didn't come with a mouse.

I'd really love to see the level titles just switched back on; add my vote to the "prefer the level to the green bar" chorus.

Last edited:

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
In a tragic and perplexing oversight, my smartphone didn't come with a mouse.

I'd really love to see the level titles just switched back on; add my vote to the "prefer the level to the green bar" chorus.

My obvious reply though is going to be... at the point where you’re choosing to use the desktop version of the site with your smartphone instead of the mobile site intended for smartphones, you’re creating your own problem and shouldn’t be listened to specific to that use case.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My obvious reply though is going to be... at the point where you’re choosing to use the desktop version of the site with your smartphone instead of the mobile site intended for smartphones, you’re creating your own problem and shouldn’t be listened to specific to that use case.

I found the app difficult to navigate and counterintuitive compared to what I was accustomed to.

But are you saying that the app has all of that information readily displayed and it's just the desktop site that was changed to exclude it? Because that seems a little weird too.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I found the app difficult to navigate and counterintuitive compared to what I was accustomed to.

But are you saying that the app has all of that information readily displayed and it's just the desktop site that was changed to exclude it? Because that seems a little weird too.

Yeah, the app is awful, but I believe Kobold Boots was referring to the mobile Web site, which should be the default version rendered when you visit EnWorld using Chrome or Safari on a Mobile device.

I find that the rare times that I read ENWorld on my phone I end up switching to the desktop view, which isn't too difficult to read on my iPhone X and has all the features I'm used to.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Until just now, I didn't realize that there is a difference between the app and the mobile site. Both were different from what I'm used to seeing and made it difficult to find the areas I normally hang out in.

But my question stands either way: do the XP levels show in those views? I don't even see an option to return to the mobile site now anyway, but the presence of the stuff I'm looking for could tempt me to give it another shot.

Last edited:

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Hi Guys -

The only reason I brought up the mobile site, is because that's the site folks should complain about if they're primarily viewing the site from a mobile device. The user experience for the desktop site is optimized for desktop browser use and the theme reflects that.

It's a different argument from "the desktop default site doesn't show XP levels anymore" for which the response should be, mouseover the xp bar and there's the title. Mentioning that you use a mobile device and don't have a mouse, is valid, but misses the point of the desktop theme. It's not optimized for mobile use and shouldn't be. The mobile site is optimized for mobile devices and doesn't use mouseover options in the code.

However, that's not to say that the mobile site theme doesn't need love in and of itself, it's basic but does what it does. On the topic of what I believe is the tapatalk app, (different from the mobile theme) won't use it, can't stand it, double post all the time when using it elsewhere.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Hi Guys -

The only reason I brought up the mobile site, is because that's the site folks should complain about if they're primarily viewing the site from a mobile device. The user experience for the desktop site is optimized for desktop browser use and the theme reflects that.

It's a different argument from "the desktop default site doesn't show XP levels anymore" for which the response should be, mouseover the xp bar and there's the title. Mentioning that you use a mobile device and don't have a mouse, is valid, but misses the point of the desktop theme. It's not optimized for mobile use and shouldn't be. The mobile site is optimized for mobile devices and doesn't use mouseover options in the code.

However, that's not to say that the mobile site theme doesn't need love in and of itself, it's basic but does what it does. On the topic of what I believe is the tapatalk app, (different from the mobile theme) won't use it, can't stand it, double post all the time when using it elsewhere.

See, I find the mobile site and app to be so.problematic there is no reason to complain about them. I just don't use them.

Though again, if the XP levels are still easily and readily available there, an argument could be made to use them. A persuasive argument, even

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
See, I find the mobile site and app to be so.problematic there is no reason to complain about them. I just don't use them.

Though again, if the XP levels are still easily and readily available there, an argument could be made to use them. A persuasive argument, even

That's fair, and it's a great work around that prevents you from having to do anything beyond switching a theme.

However, it's bad form when you're finally complaining about the workaround and then expect to see a change.

Honestly, I expect to see the titles come back, but it's really not the reason I post here to begin with and I can easily live without them. The length of the xp bar pretty much tells me all I need to know if I'm concerned about it for some reason.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So even though they're hidden, the xp titles are still there. Which leads me to ask: what database or site efficiency has been achieved by this change other than not pulling up and displaying badges? (and were badges causing that much of a slowdown?) Or is there some other efficiency being achieved that we don't see at the user level?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases