One Page Adventure: The Business of Emotion

I have been experimenting with the idea of one-page adventures designed for a single session, with everything on one side of one sheet of paper. The Business of Emotion was an early EN5ider adventure by Paul Oklesh, and this is that adventure converted to the one-page format. I figured I'd share it with you guys. You will need the core rules for NPC/creature stat blocks. You can see it as an image below, or grab the PDF for free over on the Patreon (you don't need to be a patron).

business_of_emotion.jpg

I have a second one almost finished, too. It's called "Croaking Sirocco" by Kyle Carty and features three rival desert bullywug shamans.

If you like these, please do check out my Patreon for more, where you can also get them as PDFs.

dwayne

Adventurer
This would be good for one shots with the way groups are hard to keep together some times, i have decided to do one off games that can be done in a few hours. So players can come back each time and do something different of with the same character with other people. Kind of the way networks on tv like to just toss up episodes with no particular order or plot.

I take your point about the maps, but I think it can be done. In the above, for example, you could just have four rumours, push the right hand boxes up a couple of inches, and have a little map of the waterfall chamber in the bottom right. I know this is post-publication, so this is just an example of how it could be done. Like I said, dnd folk loooove their maps.

But overall, I'm a big fan of one-page formats and I look forward to seeing more from your pen.

guachi

Hero
I just purchased 50 Notice Board Side Quests (or something like that) from DMs Guild.

I like what I see from that. Different, inventive quests in the form of postings on a Notice Board. They are short and include nice formatting for the Notice Board you could show your players as well as a simple text version for the DM with notes for the DM.

I like these short adventures (short in presentation and space) because you can pack a lot into a little space and it's far easier to toss a lot at the players and see what they bite on and then only flesh out what's necessary.

So not only would I buy short adventure ideas, I have bought them. And I'd love something a touch longer than the Notice Board adventure ideas.

jedijon

Explorer
The rumors section paints a picture that people are having so much sex they can’t do anything. So who is standing around delivering this information to the party? And how does #4 work? This is one weird love potion!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I take your point about the maps, but I think it can be done. In the above, for example, you could just have four rumours, push the right hand boxes up a couple of inches, and have a little map of the waterfall chamber in the bottom right. I know this is post-publication, so this is just an example of how it could be done. Like I said, dnd folk loooove their maps.

But overall, I'm a big fan of one-page formats and I look forward to seeing more from your pen.

Try this for size.

1pa2_emotion_cave.jpg

Attachments

• 1pa2_emotion_cave.jpg
    1pa2_emotion_cave.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,282

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here's a third one. There was *no way* a map was fitting in here.

1pa3_dinos.jpg

Attachments

• 1pa3_dinos.jpg
    1pa3_dinos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,157

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]- the third one seems much too big in scope for a one page adventure IMHO, this is getting to the point where the DM is going to either have to do a lot of planning (to flesh out the city in their mind enough to be comfortable running the adventure) or have to be really quick on their feet. Either way this looks really intimidating, and, while there are stat blocks, it reminds me of the encounter book (I mentioned earlier) that I had hopes for but couldn’t use because the barrier to running was too high.

Going back to my earlier post, I think these 1 pagers should have a focus on either social interaction (the balance has been upset, a murder, a disappearance, etc) or an exploration with combats providing challenge where necessary.

The third adventure lacks this focus and is too big in scope IMHO.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases