GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 3

Mercurius

Legend
One thing I didn’t get — what did the brown eyes, green eyes, blue eyes thing mean?

I think she was emphasizing blue eyes, that Arya had already killed people with brown and green eyes, but blue was still to come - meaning, wights, White Walkers, and the Night King. It was foreshadowing that Arya would kill the Night King.

pukunui

Legend
What color eyes does Cersei have? I hope that Arya is the one to kill her and that she gets to use her Faceless powers to do it, like she did with Walder Frey. (Surely that bit of revenge was not the whole pay-off for her side quest to gain that ability.)

Also, who thinks Bronn will actually try to kill Jaime and/or Tyrion? I know he’s a mercenary but he’s seems to genuinely like both of them. Will he go through with it, or will he side with them against Cersei?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What color eyes does Cersei have? I hope that Arya is the one to kill her and that she gets to use her Faceless powers to do it, like she did with Walder Frey. (Surely that bit of revenge was not the whole pay-off for her side quest to gain that ability.)

Also, who thinks Bronn will actually try to kill Jaime and/or Tyrion? I know he’s a mercenary but he’s seems to genuinely like both of them. Will he go through with it, or will he side with them against Cersei?

I kind of feel like Jaime, Tyrion, and Cersei need their own showdown. That family dynamic needs a payoff.

Heh. Maybe Arya will change her face, come Cersei, and rule Westeros!

I enjoyed the episode, but the battle tactics were very poor. You'd think given how much they already knew about the Whitewalkers, that they'd focus on taking them out. But apart from having Bran in the godswood, there seemed to be very little strategy to taking them out. The Nightking being downed from his dragon seemed more of a convient outcome rather than a deliberate tactic.

Also, why sacrifice the Dothraki in total darkness, when you are defending a castle?! Just hide behind the castle walls and let them come. There was also no use of flaming oil, which is just unrealistic. I'm a bit underwhelmed by how the Nightking met his end, and I was really expecting some sort of a twist... but no, it was all very straight forward.

I honestly didn't think the dead in the crypts would be brought back to life, because it would be so stupid for them to not think of that... but I guess they are just a bunch of idiots.

As for entertainment value, it was fun. I was surprised by how few characters actually died. It was a shame everything was so terribly dark too. It was really hard to see who was fighting what.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
On the contrary - I think Theon charging the Night King was the *only* reasonable thing to do. The undead had him and Bran completely surrounded. They had stopped. Clearly the Night King, being an arrogant son of an obsidian shard, has some sense of drama. If Theon had waited the guy would probably just get bored and have his unlimited zombies kill Theon. But he gave him an opening to take his shot and Theon took it. He had to.

The one other thing that bothered me that I am not sure was ever in the books... They make it seem that dragonglass and Valyrian steel are undead "disrupting" weapons rather than white walker "bane" weapons. Yes, Arya kills the Night King with the Valyrian steel dagger, as it should be, but everywhere else they make it seem like they just allow you to kill wights as if they were still alive. Mormont stabbing the giant in the eye and killing it looked cool, but being stabbed should have been inconsequential.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
These are the two scenes that bugged me the most(my biggest peeve was the lighting).

1. The Dothraki charge.

Jon: "Hey guys. We have the best cavalry in the world. I have an idea! First we put them outside at night on horseback in the snow and ice. Then Melisandre will light their swords on fire so what little vision they had goes away. Then we will send them charging out into the darkness and hope they don't all die in a horse slipping and crashing disaster, on their way to confront an enemy they can't see, don't know the numbers of, and don't quite know the location of. Oh, and the enemy can see in the dark. Then, the rest of the army will just hang back and watch! It will be great! Much better than lining the walls with them and their horse bows to shoot the dead when they come into sight."

Everyone else: "Sounds good to us."

2. The Night King's death.

I didn't mind Arya killing the Night King. I didn't like how fast he went from bad ass to dead. What I think should have been done is to spread out his white walkers among the dead as commanders. You could have had them facing off against leaders. I mean, how cool would it have been to have Jorah die defending Dany from a white walker. They could have killed each other simultaneously or something. Have others kicking ass. Then the Night King could have walked up to Theon who was the last person defending Bran and killed Theon that way, instead of having Theon stupidly charge the Night King and six or seven white walkers in order to not slow them down at all. After Theon dies and the Night King is going to kill Bran, Jon comes charging in and they get into a bad ass fight. Perhaps they wound each other a few times before Jon slips and falls, losing his sword. Just before the Night King plunges his sword down into Jon's chest, No One comes out of nowhere from behind and plunges her valyrian steel dagger into the Night Kings heart by stabbing him just under the arm pit.

That's how a BBEG should die. Not some 2 second now I'm undead and now I'm not.

Other than those two scenes, I loved the episode. It had some other minor issues, but those are fine.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I enjoyed the episode, but the battle tactics were very poor. You'd think given how much they already knew about the Whitewalkers, that they'd focus on taking them out. But apart from having Bran in the godswood, there seemed to be very little strategy to taking them out. The Nightking being downed from his dragon seemed more of a convient outcome rather than a deliberate tactic.

Also, why sacrifice the Dothraki in total darkness, when you are defending a castle?! Just die behind the castle walls and let them come.

Dothraki don't do tactics. They rush and overwhelm the enemy - it's all they know. This is the first enemy that has ever not worked against.

Kaodi

Hero
Oh yeah, I also tend to think the Dothraki charge was dumb. In real life, as far as I know, much of the power of cavalry charges come from its ability to break lines through a combination of fear and momentum. The Dothraki charged headlong into a literally *wall* of undead, and the only thing that accomplishes is being surrounded by zombies and quickly dying to their counterattack. They should not have even attempted that without knowing what the enemy battle lines actually looked like.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Dothraki don't do tactics. They rush and overwhelm the enemy - it's all they know. This is the first enemy that has ever not worked against.

Pretty sure they don't do it at night, though. They know better than that. And they would have realized that snow and ice are even more slippery.

Remove ads