FANTASY GROUNDS Virtual Tabletop's D&D License!

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Officially licensed D&D electronic tools! For real! Fantasy Grounds, one of the leading virtual tabletops, has just released a set of D&D 5th edition licensed data packages. These include the D&D Basic Rules, packs for each of the core classes, and a pile of monster packs. Each states specifically that "This product is licensed from Wizards of the Coast." This appears to be the first officially licensed and branded electronic product. (thanks to Matchstick for the scoop)

Check out their D&D wares here. They mention that "The DMG is still in the works, along with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, The Rise of Tiamat and Princes of the Apocalypse." and that "The basic 5E ruleset will continue to be provided directly within Fantasy Grounds to all licenses. These purchasable options add a new graphics theme that is officially branded, along with the library module support, and whatever other enhancements we could squeeze in, like tokens or portraits or decals."

Here's the announcement:
We are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

You can purchase the D&D Complete Core Class Pack with all the class, feats, spells and equipment or you can purchase individual classes only. You can also buy the monsters in packs or as the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. These products have been converted to work really tightly with Fantasy Grounds to give you the best possible gaming experience - we know you're going to love them. They contain all the great artwork and content from the official products and all the smarts and integration to work with Fantasy Grounds. Not only will you get the same content that can be found in print, but you also get an exciting new Fifth Edition theme, adventures and content customized specifically for ease of play inside of Fantasy Grounds.

For Dungeon Masters and players on a budget, you might pick up a Player Customization Pack and one or two Class Packs of your choice. Dungeon Masters can often get by with just the Adventure of their choice and one or two Monster Packs.

Don't forget that players can gift purchases through Steam for Dungeon Masters who have linked their license on Steam.

WOTC5EDDBASICRULES.jpg

mserabian

Explorer
Okay, so we normally opt to link those pushpins to a story entry that may have boxed text and other links to encounters, treasures, etc. Click the encounter link from the story entry and it will open the encounter with the list of monsters. You can decrease or increase the number of monsters appearing at this point or just use the default value. Click the button at the bottom of the encounter window to automatically place them on the map, add them to the combat tracker and roll their initiative. If you have the DM preference set to give them Max or Random HP, it will also redo each monster's hit points. For your own maps and modules that you create in your campaign, you can use this same style or you could choose to link directly to the encounter instead of to the story first.

Cool !! Thanks, quick and helpful as always!!

RSKennan

Explorer
Hey guys… Bought the complete set yesterday and I really am enjoying playing around with things! One question in regard to your statement above about the maps and encounter placement. I'm not sure how this works. I can hold down control on the GM maps and see the pins but when I click on them it opens the encounter pane, but it doesn't place the NPCs… What am I doing wrong?

thanks

mal

I don't know how these were set up, but usually when you drag an encounter to the combat tracker it places the creatures where they belong.

Edit: should have refreshed the thread. :)

tomBitonti

Adventurer
There is rule mechanic support for 3.5, 4E, 5E and Pathfinder out of the box. 3.5E and Pathfinder come with some lists of monsters and spells from the System Reference Documents available to use as-is or customize. You can also create your own items. See the video posted above for creating an NPC manually.

Would that be *all* of what is on http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ (or a largish subset, since the content seems to be growing all of the time), or just "core" material?

3.5 (and Pathfinder) allow a lot of customization on monsters: Adding character levels, templates, customizing feats, and giving monsters magic items. Can that be done, or are the monsters limited to "out of the book" instances?

Edit: This may be covered elsewhere, as FG + PF doesn't seem to be a new thing. Any pointers to where this would already be covered?

Thx!

TomB

smiteworks

Explorer
Would that be *all* of what is on http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ (or a largish subset, since the content seems to be growing all of the time), or just "core" material?

3.5 (and Pathfinder) allow a lot of customization on monsters: Adding character levels, templates, customizing feats, and giving monsters magic items. Can that be done, or are the monsters limited to "out of the book" instances?

Edit: This may be covered elsewhere, as FG + PF doesn't seem to be a new thing. Any pointers to where this would already be covered?

Thx!

TomB

Our base install comes with just a subset that was there when we first built it. It has grown tremendously since then, so our fans have compiled their own modules which contain pretty much everything that is freely available. You can customize further from there, although applying templates is not natively supported. You can edit anything there to make derivatives and copies. I did do a conversion for The Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin that has a ton of templates and sample NPCs and there is a rudimentary template system I built for it as part of that package.

Here is the link with the various SRD content.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules

DandDsince76

First Post
I'm sure I saw this question earlier... But I hunted for it & can't find it again. Here goes:

Can I, or my players, print a hard-copy of a character sheet?

Thanks!

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Hi,

Lots of focus on 5E. What are the options for FG + 4E, FG + 3.5E, or FG + PF?

Can anyone comment on the ability to create and update characters, and to customize monsters and treasure?

How hard is it to create or import custom maps?

Can you use most of the function but still have players roll to hit, save, and damage dice? I've found automated rollers to take a *lot* of fun out of playing. Luv to roll them dice!

Thx!

TomB
To make a note here, if you can prove to any of the PFS adventure captains in the PFS section that you own a PFS AP (usually by emailing a screenshot of the PDF with the sales watermark) you can get the ap in FG format for free.

redrick

First Post
This seems like a great boon for people playing games over the internet but is a far cry from what was initially promised with DungeonScape. As rough as it was DungeonScape was centered around developing a tool to use at the table. I have to wonder if Wizard's has abandoned that plan entirely. While I love using OneNote as a DM there is definitely room for something that caters more directly to the needs of RPG players.

I think that's kind of the point though. What is encouraging to me about this release isn't so much that "finally, here is a 5e product that I will use!" It's, "finally, Wizards seems to be licensing out to proven, existing developers making products designed to fulfill the needs of specific niches!" DungeonScape was a project that promised to Revolutionize Roleplaying Games. It sounded cool. But it didn't happen.

FG isn't the product for everybody, and it's not meant to be. The discussion here about purchasing FG as a way to get digital tools seems odd to me. That's like renting a car to listen to the radio in your driveway. Or, maybe a little bit more apt, buying a graphing calculator to balance your checkbook. The functionality might be there, but it's not the point of the product. I wouldn't complain about Dwarven Forge tiles because they have no utility for the way I game — over the internet. I just won't buy them. For many of us who game every week on the internet and spend a lot of time prepping for those games, the price-tag of FG seems reasonable, because saving even an hour of mindless prep every week is easily worth $100 or $250 or however you want to factor it. (I already pay $10/month for Roll20, so I don't see that as a barrier to entry for a competitor.) The cost would pay off after the first month. It's not the only factor in deciding which VTT I'll use, but it's certainly a point in FG's favor.

My entirely speculative takeaways from this announcement are:
* We might see more targeted products coming out with 5e support in the future, getting away from The One Tool to Rule Them All approach.
* FG didn't announce this product until they launched it. Or, if they did, they did so with very little fanfare that stayed off the enWorld radar. That might be at the request of WoTC after the DungeonScape collapse, or it might just be caution on the part of FG. That means there might very well be other products in development and with licensing agreements under works with Wizards that we won't know about until they are actually ready to go to market.

JohnD

First Post
Most likely high licensing fees would be the root cause of the cost.
Yes, heaven forbid companies wanting to make some profit from their work. Nobody complaining about the cost would go to their employer and say "it's OK you don't need to pay me this week".

Not a shot at you; your response is very likely the reason. Companies don't make money, people don't stay gainfully employed.

Frustrating but if people take an open mind they will see this is a great option for online play, which has application in face to face settings as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads