A First Real Look At The Reincarnated 'Into The Borderlands'!

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The hardcover includes:

· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B1: In Search of the Unknown. Specifically, the second and sixth printings, one featuring the original monochrome cover and the other featuring the later color cover by Darlene.
· Three complete monster and treasure assortments for stocking the dungeons of In Search of the Unknown (which are “un-stocked” in the original 1E edition).
· Restored scans of two complete printings of the original B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Specifically the second and fourth printings. These are distinguished the change in monster stats between the two printings (Dexterity scores were included in early printings). The later printing also features six interior illustrations that were not present in earlier printings.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of In Search of the Unknown, including tables for stocking it with creatures.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for the Caverns of Quasqueton, all inspired by references in the original work.
· A complete, “pure” 5E conversion of The Keep on the Borderlands.
· A separate chapter with a few new encounters for The Keep on the Borderlands, all inspired by references in the original work.
· Appendices with 5E stats for newly introduced monsters, hirelings and followers, and magic items.
· A chapter of introductions and testimonials.

You can read the full interview with Chris Doyle on Goodman Games site.

ITB_COver.JPG

gg2.jpg

gg3.jpg

gg4.jpg

gg5.jpg

gg6.jpg

gg7.jpg

gg8.jpg

gg9.jpg

gg10.jpg

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I'm seeing all sorts of head scratching moments with this. As far as table use, the maps on the inside covers sound like a terrible idea. A proper pull out set of maps would be preferred, updated too.

The multiple copies of the old modules seems ridiculously redundant.

A straight 5e update for both products, with none of the original copies would be an instant purchase, as it stands this is just too much fluff. The PDFs of the originals are pretty affordable and available online.
I rolled and saved vs nostalgia. ;)

That being said, it looks like they put a helluva lot of work into it and it looks very nice!
I'm glad stuff like this exists as people really seem to dig it.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I looked through it at Gary Con and decided against buying it. The nostalgia aspect is not worth the price tag in my case. I figure I could take that $50 and either buy an original B2 module or just spend $50 on some other gaming item I would actually use. [I sold all my AD&D stuff back in the 3e era when I was tired of lugging it around the country every time I moved. In retrospect, what was I thinking! lol]

juboke

Explorer
I picked up a copy at GaryCon. I like the book (and the bonus ToA dice set given at GaryCon was nice)

I also picked mine up at Gary Con, but did not receive the dice.:( Was something they did after the first day?

Regardless, I am enjoying reading this book and highly recommend it. My only complaint (and it is minor one at that) is I would also have liked a upgraded map insert (but still keeping the original map on the inside cover).

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Would be nice if they released a pack of upgraded maps as a free PDF. I always like to print mine so I have them next to the text. Really hate the whole page flipping thing.

tsw512

First Post

I also picked mine up at Gary Con, but did not receive the dice.:( Was something they did after the first day?

Regardless, I am enjoying reading this book and highly recommend it. My only complaint (and it is minor one at that) is I would also have liked a upgraded map insert (but still keeping the original map on the inside cover).

Hi, yes, unfortunately the giveaway dice didn't show up at the Black Blade Publishing / Goodman Games booth until midday on Friday.

Cool.

I wish Goodman had also included a thorough write-up of the subsequent appearances of those two locales, such as:

• The placement of the Keep and Caverns in the Known World of Mystara, from the Blue Box map.
  • The connecting segways with other B-modules in B1-9: In Search of the Unknown, set in Mystara.
  • The official placement of the Keep in the Yeomanry in Oerth. (I forget which book gave that placement.)
  • Return to the Keep on the Borderlands. 2E. Set in an generic world. A WotC rep said the "Greyhawk" logo on the back cover was a mistake and misnomer.
  • The Little Keep on the Borderlands, licensed for Hackmaster
  • Quest for the Unknown, licensed for Hackmaster
  • Keep on the Borderlands 3e novel. Presumeably set in Oerth.
  • The placement of the Keep in the 4e world of Nerath. (So the Keep officially exists in at least three D&D worlds: Mystara, Oerth, and Nerath. And also Garweeze Wurld.)

Did I miss any?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases