"Immortal Fortress" - WotC Drops Clues About The Upcoming Storyline?

With the new D&D storyline being announced soon in the Stream of Many Eyes, WotC has created a new Twitter account called "Immortal Fortress" in which it appears to be giving cryptic answers to questions.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.11.01.png

It was announced via their main Twitter account:

"Forgive my usurpation of this information stream, but circumstances call for nothing less. I dare not cede control ere I’ve occasion to recount a brief but dire missive from the realms that time forgot.

The Sage of Shadowdale hath hid on Earth a stone, of power great and imminent import. Its guardian, an exile from my realm, was spirited to Earth with this in tow; To keep it safe and secret ere its prophesied return.

The hour of its need now soon at hand, this item and its wielder must be found; Sent, via portal, back from whence they came. At long last, well and truly homeward-bound.

The Sage of Shadowdale himself is otherwise engaged, and cast me as his proxy in this search. Unable, as I am, to sojourn there myself, this task falls to the denizens of Earth.

Should you be of a mind to render aid, direct your queries to mine own account. I’m called @Immortal4tress, my address: your internet; Elminster’s humble servant, and forever in your debt."

Heading over to the Immortal Fortress account, there is this message: "My thanks to one and all who had the courage to recite the words the Sage of Shadowdale hath writ. I know not when or how these clues will come, so each of us should keep the rest informed. To guarantee that no replies be missed be sure to tag your posts #NoStoneUnturned."

The Twitter account is headed by a black and white photograph of Bodiam Castle in East Sussex. That could be relevant, or it could just be a representative castle.

bodiam.jpg

Image from Alternative Planting blog

Emirikol Prime

Explorer
This has BEEN solved.

Morse Code at the bottom of the page reads: #NoStoneUnturned

A direct Eye of the Beholder reference.

It’s Undermountain.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
All this talk of black stone obelisks made me think of the Valley of Obelisks in the awesome 3E module "The Shattered Gates of Slaughterguarde'' or somesuch. A long adventure similar to the Red Hand one, but did not get as many kudos.

Coroc

Hero
Eye of the beholder really got me into AD&D, (After several goldbox games) it was so cool back then (there are enhanced Versions available nowadays of the game with the 8th Portal Stone item)

Undermountain would be nice, since the original undermountain 1+2 Need heck of homebrewing to be run in some reasonable way. This Setting is one where i first see the new style of gameplay could come in Handy.

But the immortal part about this makes me wonder: Does it mean immortal adventures like EoB / Undermountain?

If it refer to creatures, there are not that many. Technically undead so maybe an undead Xanathar?

Gods? There was one in EoB3 . The Players aka epic Levels aka Basic DnD immortals? Any more ideas on the immortals?

The AL Season 6 Open involved Undermountain and the re-awakening of Halaster. I was thinking that ToA would be be related but I'm not surprised if that link didn't come in for this year's AP.

This has BEEN solved.

Morse Code at the bottom of the page reads: #NoStoneUnturned

A direct Eye of the Beholder reference.

It’s Undermountain.

Definitely looks likely but that clue was more than just an Eye of the Beholder reference. It was also clue #1 that pointed to this Twitter account that has been leaving a trail of hints to hunt down more information across the internet. (For example, it looks like Volo has started a Yelp page.)

So there's more info to find out there! :)

I thought the same thing. Heck, when the next D&D Open involved Acererak, for a moment at the end I thought they were going to have a secret reveal that it was actually Halaster Blackcloak.

The AL Season 6 Open involved Undermountain and the re-awakening of Halaster. I was thinking that ToA would be be related but I'm not surprised if that link didn't come in for this year's AP.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Well, it seem the Yelp page from Glover (Volo) contained different reviews of gaming store in the US with passwords hidden in each reviews for the specific store. Seems the owners were taking phone numbers, waiting for the Shipment from the Sage. At least one poster indicates that the ''next clue'' found at those places were thumb drives. So we wait until one of those who got the drives share its content.

https://twitter.com/MarcianTobay/status/992210003946717184

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases