News Digest: New D&D Books Leaked, Pathfinder Video Game Pre-Orders Open, Spiel des Jahres Winners,

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week's gaming news! New D&D books leak before official announcement, Pathfinder video game pre-orders open, Asmodee may have a buyer for the company, and more!
Wizards of the Coast announced new products for Dungeons & Dragons. This time, actual game products. And each of the announcements leaked before they were officially confirmed on Monday, July 23. The first was Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica, a D&D setting book based on the Magic: The Gatherine plane Ravnica, the world on the plane also called Ravnica, and the city that takes up the entirety of that world called Ravnica. Amazon released pre-order information on their website early, as well as information on a Map Pack and Miscellany and a Dice Set. All three products will be released on November 20, with the book retailing for $49.95 and each of the accessory products for $24.95.

Later the same night/early morning, a game publisher noticed the back-end for uploading material to the DM’s Guild site through One Book Shelf/DriveThru had a new option for campaign settings, with Eberron joining Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft. On Monday, the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron was announced and released, a 176-page PDF available for $19.99 written by Eberron creator Keith Baker (along with Ruty Rutenberg, Jeremy Crawford, Mike Mearls, and Kate Welch) that provides playtest material to update the setting to 5e. Eberron was also officially added to DM’s Guild as a setting for third parties under the DM’s Guild License (though the site has not updated to include Eberron in its FAQ at time of writing).

Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner appeared on CNBC’s Mad Money and spoke about the success of both Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. Goldner specifically defended Dungeons & Dragons from claims that it was a “so-so brand” by host Jim Cramer. However, the part of the segment that got the most attention from the roleplaying community on social media wasn’t in the interview itself. CNBC posted an article along with the video clip of the interview and included a bullet point:

Games like “Dungeons & Dragons” could one day be “ripe for esports competition,” the CEO says.

In the interview itself, Goldner was referring to Magic: The Gathering Arena, the video game adaptation of the collectible card game currently in beta. I wrote a large Twitter thread about this myself (be warned, my Twitter feed tends to contain NSFW language), but the crux of the issue is that Goldner wasn’t on Mad Money to sell copies of Ravnica or the Waterdeep adventures, he wasn’t there to promote Eberron or the Wizards of the Coast Twitch channel. He was there to sell stock market investors on Hasbro stock. So the interview was packed with buzzwords and marketing speak frequently used by companies like EA, Ubisoft, Activision-Blizzard, and others when promoting their games to investors. And, to be honest, I’m not surprised that Goldner may not know the fine details of Dungeons & Dragons and I wouldn’t expect him to any more than I would expect him to be able to name every Monopoly token or explain the difference between each Transformers generation. Hasbro is a multibillion dollar conglomerate with thousands of different product lines in niche markets and it’s not surprising that the CEO of the company doesn’t know every single thing about every single one. And even if prepped for an interview about D&D, the audience for Mad Money isn’t the same audience for D&D and the majority of those watching the program aren’t going to know much about D&D nor are they likely to know the difference between “esports” and “Twitch streaming”. With that context, the full quote transcribed by Morrus on the main EN World article on the interview makes it a bit more clear:

"We're also building a suite of digital games around Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering. Our Magic Arena product is underway in a closed beta, we've had more than a million people sign up, and we're very excited about launching that later this year. So you'll be able to play Magic: the Gathering or Dungeons & Dragons on a mobile device or online as well as face-to-face. […] Well, once you build this mobile game, we're also seeing that just with the analogue game, people are watching us on e-sports, we have about a million viewers a month watching a Magic: the Gathering game, and people watching Dungeons & Dragons on Twitch, and so we think over time we build this to be more of an e-sports property, it's a very immersive game, and it's global and ripe for e-sports competition."

Pre-orders have opened for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, an isometric roleplaying video game based on Pathfinder. Owlcat Games successfully raised $909,057 on Kickstarter last year to create the game, which will officially launch on September 25. The base game is available as the Explorer’s Edition for $39.99, and premium editions with additional material such as the Noble Edition for $54.99 with artbook and soundtrack, the Royal Edition for $69.99 with an in-game pet and Pathfinder PDF adventure module written by Chris Avellone, and the Imperial Edition for $84.99 that includes a Season Pass for all post-release DLC. Pre-orders will also include three in-game exclusive items, available for all editions of the game. The game will launch with support for Windows, iOS, and Linux.

Cool Mini or Not announced a new roleplaying game based on the popular Zombiecide line of board games. The new survival zombie game comes from Italian publisher Need Games! and will be designed by Marco Maggi and Francesco Nepitello. The game itself will have a rules system with asymmetrical play, as the rules that the players use will not be the same rules that the gamemaster uses, with the players using rules based on the board game while the GM has a set of special “Zombidice” that help determine task resolution for the players as well as governing enemy actions. The game is scheduled for a Kickstarter in “Q4 of 2019”, and Nepitello will be at Gen Con talking about the game at the CMON booth.

Winners of this year’s Spiel des Jahres have been announced, and my spellcheck is going to hate me. The winner of this year’s Spiel des Jahres (Game of the Year) is Azul from Plan B games. Funkelschatz (also known as Dragon’s Breath) from HABA won the Kinderspiel des Jahres (Children’s Game of the Year), though it does not currently have a release in the United States. Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg from Schmidt Spiele won the Kennerspiel des Jahres (Expert/Connoisseur Game of the Year), which also is not currently available in the United States.

Asmodee may have found a buyer. PAI Partners, a French private equity house, entered into discussions with Eurazeo, the company that owns Asmodee for a reported €1.2 billion (about $1.4 billion). Asmodee is the parent company of Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, Z-Man Games, and many other roleplaying and tabletop gaming companies. While neither Eurazeo nor Asmodee themselves have interfered much in the running of companies they’ve acquired, some in the tabletop community have expressed concerns over whether that will change following a purchase by another company. The deal must first clear with French and EU regulators, but may finalize as soon as the end of this year.

Okay, I’m not even going to try to cover all the big-name Kickstarters going on at the moment in my normal fashion, so here’s the ones that need no long, detailed explanation:

The Expanse from Green Ronin Publishing, based on the novels by James S. A. Corey

The Fantasy Trip from Steve Jackson Games, a new edition of the classic fantasy roleplaying game originally published in 1977

Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2nd Edition from Onyx Path Publishing, the new edition of the Chronicles of Darkness game

Dwarven Forge Caverns Deep!, the next line of Dwarven Forge miniature terrain focusing on natural cavern formations

Killing Lee Garvin still has a few more days to go before it closes and it needs a bit more help to push it over the finish line. I’ve talked about this one a lot, but remember that all proceeds from this Kickstarter go toward helping Lee Garvin and other game designers who have fallen into financial hardship.

Okay, we now go back to our regularly scheduled Kickstarter section already in progress.

Iron Edda Accelerated is a FATE Accelerated version of the Iron Edda RPG from Tracy Barnett. The game puts players in the role of heroes of a Viking holdfast during Ragnarok as they battle threats from outside and within for honor, glory, and clan. This epic-focused take on the battle for the end of the world takes the Norse legends and adds in cutthroat politics, magitek from the Dwarves of Svartalfheim, undead giants, and more. A PDF version of the game is available for a $15 pledge, and an at-cost printed version available for $25. This project has already met its funding goal and has until Thursday, August 23 to unlock more stretch goals.

Delta Green: The Labrynth takes the original Delta Green game of cosmic horror special forces action and adds something truly terrifying: Elements from the real-world 21st century. The game focuses on how the Cthulhu mythos elements interact with things such as live streaming, online conspiracy forums, internet start-ups, and our modern political climate. You can get the PDF for $20, the hardback for $45, or a bundle of over a dozen hardcover Delta Green books plus every PDF produced by Arc Dream Publishing for $2000. Even with the Director level reward still unclaimed, this project is fully funded and still has a few stretch goals to unlock before it ends on Tuesday, July 31.

The RPG Coloring Book is exactly what it says on the tin, a coloring book drawing inspiration from fantasy roleplaying. The line art in the examples from artist Mariana Ruiz Villarreal are everything you could want, from dragons to giants to oozes to kobolds with a pet dire badger. The linework is detailed yet still clean enough to work perfectly as a coloring book for children and adults both (though there is an image of a goblin licking a dagger, so maybe not too young for the children). The book is available for a $10 pledge, and this funded project ends on Tuesday, July 31.

That’s all from me for this week! Find more gaming crowdfunding news by following our Kickstarter news tag, and don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.com. You can follow me on Twitter @Abstruse where you can help convince me to finally get back to streaming on Twitch and finishing up Dragon Age: Origins before deciding which game to play next, follow Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube featuring videos on gaming history and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I would not be worried about D&D esports. You can just watch the full interview. Its not there. D&D as an immersive face to face experience is there.

BUT I would be worried about a private equity firm owning huge part of the hobby game industry. That seems just ominous.

Abstruse

Legend
I would not be worried about D&D esports. You can just watch the full interview. Its not there. D&D as an immersive face to face experience is there.

BUT I would be worried about a private equity firm owning huge part of the hobby game industry. That seems just ominous.
Asmodee is already owned by a large private equity firm, though. That's what Eurazeo is. They're just selling to another private equity firm (at about ten times what they paid for Asmodee, so it worked out well for them).

The concern is Asmodee's been gobbling up companies left and right so that they own all but I believe one or two of the top twenty bestselling hobbyist boardgames on the market. And, so far, the market is still growing for hobbyist tabletop games. That's not going to last forever, though, and investment firms only care about one thing: Growth. Eventually, you reach the point where everyone who might even potentially enjoy playing board games has copies of Catan, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, and Carcassonne and there's no more market left to grow into. That's when firms tend to start meddling. Which, since they don't understand the market, means one of two things: Micromanaging projects to meet artificial market research that doesn't reflect what consumers actually want, or cutting expenses by laying off staff and closing subsidiaries. And that is where the trouble lies.

It's also why this worries me far more than anything Goldner said. D&D is doing well right now and has been growing year over year in sales and market penetration, so there's no reason for Hasbro to start meddling in it (except maybe to start licensing the IP out more for video games and to maybe work harder to untangle the gordian knot that is the movie and television rights). Board game growth has tapered off and while the market is still growing, it's not growing as fast as it was in previous years. Combine that with the elephant in the room no one really wants to talk about - the current trade war with China is going to have serious impact on production costs for tabletop and roleplaying game companies as most of the games are manufactured and/or printed in China - we're in a situation where the industry growth that Asmodee's been enjoying may soon peak.

Von Ether

Legend
But this is part of Hasbro's issue with D&D, which they saw as just part of the bundle to get to Magic, they haven't known what to do with it.

Ideally, their holy grail has been how to make D&D evergreen, like a board game. No need for R&D or overhead, just print, stock and sell.

While Hasbro suits thought the solution was 4e, I think the irony maybe lost on some that 5e's much slower production cycle (while the DMGuild keeps the hype going between the gaps) might be the answer.

Abstruse

Legend
But this is part of Hasbro's issue with D&D, which they saw as just part of the bundle to get to Magic, they haven't known what to do with it.

Ideally, their holy grail has been how to make D&D evergreen, like a board game. No need for R&D or overhead, just print, stock and sell.

While Hasbro suits thought the solution was 4e, I think the irony maybe lost on some that 5e's much slower production cycle (while the DMGuild keeps the hype going between the gaps) might be the answer.
Hasbro's issue with Dungeons & Dragons is that the movie rights are tied up in litigation and conditional settlements. That's pretty much all Hasbro cares about the property. That and the fact that it's doing well on a percentage growth quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year which means it's great to brag about in shareholder's meetings. Otherwise, Hasbro doesn't give a damn about D&D because it makes no money.

To give you an idea of the scale we're talking about, ICv2's best estimates of annual gross sales for D&D put it at about $45-60 million, and that's being generous with the estimations. Hasbro's net revenue (which is to say their profit) is over $5 billion annually. Which means the gross sales for D&D (which means before any expenses whatsoever) is 1% of the total profit (which means after all expenses for every single department and subsidiary) of the company.

If a video game or a feature film made as much money in a single weekend as Dungeons & Dragons makes in an entire year, it is considered an abysmal failure.

So Hasbro's "holy grail" is for D&D to do its thing and still exist and not lose the company any money while building IP that they can use to make toys and movies and lunchboxes and t-shirts. Which, for the record, is how Time-Warner sees DC Comics and how Disney sees Marvel Entertainment.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Hasbro's issue with Dungeons & Dragons is that the movie rights are tied up in litigation and conditional settlements. That's pretty much all Hasbro cares about the property. That and the fact that it's doing well on a percentage growth quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year which means it's great to brag about in shareholder's meetings. Otherwise, Hasbro doesn't give a damn about D&D because it makes no money.

To give you an idea of the scale we're talking about, ICv2's best estimates of annual gross sales for D&D put it at about $45-60 million, and that's being generous with the estimations. Hasbro's net revenue (which is to say their profit) is over $5 billion annually. Which means the gross sales for D&D (which means before any expenses whatsoever) is 1% of the total profit (which means after all expenses for every single department and subsidiary) of the company.

If a video game or a feature film made as much money in a single weekend as Dungeons & Dragons makes in an entire year, it is considered an abysmal failure.

So Hasbro's "holy grail" is for D&D to do its thing and still exist and not lose the company any money while building IP that they can use to make toys and movies and lunchboxes and t-shirts. Which, for the record, is how Time-Warner sees DC Comics and how Disney sees Marvel Entertainment.

Movies and video games operate on a different economy than an RPG. This isn't a accurate comparison. An indie game getting the same sales as D&D, that's a more relevant comparison.

The D&D movie rights were settled in August of 2015, and there's been plenty of talk about scripts, directors, etc. There are projected dates of 2021, but as with all things in Hollywood, subject to change.

Abstruse

Legend
Movies and video games operate on a different economy than an RPG. This isn't a accurate comparison. An indie game getting the same sales as D&D, that's a more relevant comparison.

The D&D movie rights were settled in August of 2015, and there's been plenty of talk about scripts, directors, etc. There are projected dates of 2021, but as with all things in Hollywood, subject to change.
Except we're not talking about Wizards of the Coast. We're talking about Hasbro. You know, Transformers, My Little Pony, GI Joe, etc. They've got billion dollar franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if Monopoly alone made more money in a day for Hasbro than D&D does in a year.

And the movie rights were settled...and they went back to Courtney Solomon...who then lost them again because he couldn't get a project off the ground even though, before the lawsuit was filed in 2013, there were two films in pre-production fast-tracked for release in 2014 for the 50th anniversary of D&D and the release of the new edition. After Solomon lost them, the rights reportedly went as part of Hasbro's deal with Universal...except in 2017 Hasbro signed an exclusive deal with Paramount for all Hasbro Studios/Allspark Films projects (the latter formed in 2015 in conjunction with Paramount). But Universal still holds the rights to several properties. And 20th Century Fox (soon to be Disney) currently has the rights to Magic: The Gathering. And Clue. And Play-Doh. Are you starting to see how covering this crap gets surreal after a while? Time-Warner has the rights to Furby.

JEB

Legend
I'd love to see a D&D MOBA, myself. Maybe something more resembling Heroes of the Storm than League of Legends or DOTA, though. But considering D&D's mediocre track record with video games in the 5E era, I'm not optimistic.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases