Epic Monsters: Dagon (5E)

Lurking beneath the sloshing waves and crawling onto the Epic Monsters part of the Mythological Figures column is Dagon, the reptilian deep one or maybe Great Old One—as I’m realizing is not uncommon with Lovecraft, it’s hard to be certain. Let’s dive in!

vcwanDKCo7a93goDHjAMo_-W7fJ3aGKU1f6Wbfp9d6Me_3AOjxd_koiqReflznXPuSktWh7gEOLZNT3EAgGiNAHMW_niPOiQyDQyp3IJ0lGZDKew4vYjZGoZ0bm78MaV5kudxD2V

First of all there are a lot of different Dagons so let’s get everyone on the same page(s). I have the art to use that I have to use, and aside from the Paizo write-up for it (a demon lord in Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 4) and other Cthulhu mythos creatures in this series, the illustration is what’s going to guide the statblock design with this monster.

There are some Lovecraft fans in the crowd—please comment with inaccuracies and ways that folks who want to use the proper monster (which I am dubious about from lack of lore knowledge) can modify the stats to give it tentacles or whatever element got lost in the mix. Speaking of illustrations I’d like to thank Reddit user Celine Dagon (lol) for releasing a batch of Cthulhu baddies into the public domain! I’m not able to draw and am extremely happy to have a visual medium to tie the initial Epic Monsters together. You are excellent.

Dagon
Huge aberration, chaotic evil

Armor Class
26 (natural armor)
Hit Points 435 (30d12+240)
Speed 40 ft., swim 120 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
26 (+8)​
21 (+5)​
26 (+8)​
25 (+7)​
26 (+8)​
25 (+7)​

Skills
Arcana +15, Athletics +16, Deception +15, History +15, Insight +16, Intimidation +15, Investigation +15, Nature +15, Perception +16, Religion +15, Stealth +13

Damage Resistances
acid, fire, necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from magical or cold iron weapons

Damage Immunities
cold, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons not made from cold iron

Condition Immunities
charmed, diseased, frightened, paralyzed, petrified

Senses
darkvision 60 ft., truesight, passive Perception 26

Languages
Abyssal, Aquan, Celestial, Common, Deep Speech, Draconic; telepathy 300 ft.

Challenge
27 (105,000 XP)

Command Sea Creatures. Once per turn, Dagon can command aquatic creatures to do its bidding. This affects all aberrations, beasts, and oozes within 300 feet that are able to breathe water (a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw negates). This functions like mass suggestion, but can affect mindless creatures. Dagon can suggest obviously harmful or suicidal acts (though non-mindless creatures have advantage and a +5 bonus on their saving throws against these suggestions). The commanded course of activity can have a duration of up to 1 hour. If Dagon issues a new command to a creature, the previous command is discarded. A creature that successfully resists this effect is immune to further commands from Dagon for 24 hours.

Immortality. If Dagon is killed, its body immediately liquifies itself and emits a noxious cloud of otherworldly, filling an area out to its reach. Any creature that comes into contact with the amorphous puddle makes DC 24 Wisdom saving throw or takes 54 (12d8) necrotic damage and 54 (12d8) poison damage. Each round, Dagon’s puddle moves 50 feet towards the nearest large body of water (lake or bigger), ignoring difficult terrain. If it reaches a large body of water within 10 minutes, it takes 2d6 minutes before Dagon is restored to life via resurrection. It comes back to life with 5 levels of exhaustion and cannot take both a move and action in the same turn. At the end of each minute, Dagon makes a DC 20 Constitution saving throw to reduce its exhaustion level by 1. If slain again while suffering from this effect, Dagon reverts to liquid form again and if it does not reach a large body of water within 1 minute its essence fades (and should it reach the water, it takes 2d6 hours before it is returned to life).

Innate Spellcasting. Dagon’s innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 24; spell attack +16). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
Constant: detect evil and good, freedom of movement, speak with animals (aquatic only), true seeing
At will: astral projection, control water, control weather, dispel magic, hallow (evil only), polymorph, telekinesis, teleport
3/day: symbol
1/day: time stop

Insanity. Any creature that attempts to interact directly with Dagon’s thoughts (such as via detect thoughts or telepathy) must succeed at DC 24 Wisdom saving throw or gain an indefinite madness. When using its telepathy to communicate Dagon doesn't activate this feature unless it spends an action to focus its mind on one opponent.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Dagon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Magic Resistance. Dagon has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Regeneration. Dagon regains 20 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. Dagon dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Dagon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes four attacks: two with its bite and two with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 24 (3d10+8) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d8+8) slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it is grappled (escape DC 24). Until the grapple ends, the target is restrained and Dagon can’t use that claw to attack another target.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of Dagon’'s choice that is within 120 feet of Dagon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Dagon's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Poisonous Miasma (Recharge 4-6). Dagon exhales inky blackness in a 60­‐foot cone (ink if underwater or a cloud otherwise). Creatures in the area are blinded unless they have truesight. The ink or smoke remains for 1d4 rounds, or only 1 round if in an area of high current or winds. Each creature in the area or entering the area must make a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw, taking 54 (12d8) necrotic damage and 54 (12d8) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Swallow. Dagon makes one bite attack against a Medium or smaller creature it is grappling. If the attack hits, that creature takes the bite's damage and is swallowed, and the grapple ends. While swallowed, the creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside Dagon. At the start of each of Dagon’s turns the swallowed creature takes 21 (6d6) necrotic damage, 21 (6d6) poison damage, and it makes a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw. Once the swallowed creature has failed its save three times, it is transformed into a deformed parody of itself that Dagon can use a bonus action to disgorge into an adjacent square. The transformed creature has advantage on attack rolls, a +5 bonus to AC, and is under Dagon’s control (as dominate monster but without the need for concentration). The transformation can be reversed by casting heal or regenerate within the first 24 hours.

If Dagon takes 30 damage or more on a single turn from a creature inside it, Dagon must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw at the end of that turn or regurgitate all swallowed creatures, which fall prone in a space within 10 feet of Dagon. If Dagon dies, a swallowed creature is no longer restrained by it and can escape from the corpse using 15 feet of movement, exiting prone.

Design Notes: Props to the Paizo golems once more because I would’ve been at a loss for how to do Dagon any justice here. I’m happy with how it came out in the end even if it is lacking tentacles—this thing will be making an appearance or two in my games in the future.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Rhylthar

Explorer
I believe he is talking about CR, not strength score. In D&D Demogorgon has always traditionally been a higher CR/level than Dagon (at least 3e and 4e). Demogorgon's CR is 26 in 5e I believe. However, I think the problem is with Demogorgon, not Dagon. Demogorgon should be a much higher CR than Zariel (and higher the Asmodeus IMO) and she is also a 26.
Yes, I compared it with Demogorgon from Mordenkainen´s Tome of Foes and was wondering. But I forgot about Zariel (do we have official Asmodeus Stats in 5E?).

In 3.5 there were two versions of Dagon. One from Hordes of the Abyss with CR 23(?) and one from Dragon Magazine #349 with CR 30. Why I chose Demogorgon? I believe him the strongest of the Tanar´ri and he´s a "neighbor" of Dagon. The roughly should be the same I think.

Asmodeus...don´t know...is he still a god (in the Forgotten Realms)?

Coroc

Hero
So the level 20 party has slain Dagon, and is on its last edge, Dagon dissolves and the party comes into contact with the puddle and has to do two extreme Wis saving throws DC24 is abnormal high, someone not proficient in Wis saves will fail for sure, so they are blasted with another 100 points while down (TPK for sure) although they've just won. I dunno, the Tarasque looks like kindergarten compared to Dagon.

I think this mob is a bit out of balance.

Nagol

Unimportant
To be clear there is a D&D version of Dagon (which Paizo is referencing) and a HPL version, which they are not. I don't remember off the top of my head the differences between the 3e, PF 1e, and 4e version of Dagon. The Dagon of D&D is not the creature from HPL (which was provided in the original 1e version of Deities & Demigods, later removed for copyright reasons), but really its own thing. They share a name and a relationship to the sea, but that is about it. Of course there is very little real info on Dagon from HPL.

<snip>

I own a copy of the original Deities and Demigods and Dagon is not one of the featured entries. It jumps from Cthuga to Deep One in the alphabetical listing and it isn't mentioned as part of the Deep One's entry.

dave2008

Legend
I own a copy of the original Deities and Demigods and Dagon is not one of the featured entries. It jumps from Cthuga to Deep One in the alphabetical listing and it isn't mentioned as part of the Deep One's entry.

Yep, I was going from memory. I checked last night as well and there is no Dagon in 1e. I did chuckle when looking through the Cthulhu Mythos as I am pretty sure it has the most gods with max. HP (400).

Nagol

Unimportant
Yep, I was going from memory. I checked last night as well and there is no Dagon in 1e. I did chuckle when looking through the Cthulhu Mythos as I am pretty sure it has the most gods with max. HP (400).

Totally. Most pantheons have a single max hp as the leader. Cthulhu has a whole bunch.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
So the level 20 party has slain Dagon, and is on its last edge, Dagon dissolves and the party comes into contact with the puddle and has to do two extreme Wis saving throws DC24 is abnormal high, someone not proficient in Wis saves will fail for sure, so they are blasted with another 100 points while down (TPK for sure) although they've just won. I dunno, the Tarasque looks like kindergarten compared to Dagon.

I think this mob is a bit out of balance.

The Tarrasque is almost impossible to hit with anything but an area spell (which it has advantage to resist and actual save bonuses) and deals 50 more damage each round of attacks than Dagon. If a party of 20th level adventurers hasn't done its homework, can't stay a few inches off of the ground, and goes swimming in the leftovers of Dagon's corpse they all deserve to die. ;)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
As far as I know, the only mention of "Dagon" in 1st edition D&D was in the "Enumeration of the Rulers of the Abyss" list on page 35.

When I started doing a lot of work developing the Abyss and demon lords and the like in the articles I wrote for Dragon and a fair number of adventures that appeared in Dungeon, Dagon was thus something I seized upon to expand further: The fact that he had this (small, but still there) bit of continuity with 1st edition being a demon prince and the fact that Lovecraft did a lot with him made it a perfect chance for me to scratch my urge to bring Lovecraftian elements into 3rd Edition D&D stuff (since at that time, actually including folks like Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth in D&D wasn't really something that WotC wanted at the time, despite my periodic freelancer-pushing for it now and then... :p).

Dagon's certainly a complicated fella as a result. Be he/she/it an agriculture deity from real-world mythology, a sea monster from Lovecraft, or a demon lord in D&D or Pathfinder... it's an interesting thing to explore!

(We chose to keep the portrayal of Dagon as a demon lord in Pathfinder and NOT as a Great Old One, incidentally, because of my personal preference and pride on the work I did designing and developing his character for D&D, and keeping him a demon lord in Pathfinder allowed those themes to flow between the games in the same way we've been fortunate enough to play with the OGL content as well with things like kytons or bulettes or owlbears.)

ANYWAY... love these articles, by the way! Always a delight to see the Great Old Ones rising up!

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6726030]Mike Myler[/MENTION] Nethack YASD message Elric-T died on dungeon level 36 - dissolved by a puddle of dagon.

Ok, that one is total insider and very much oldschool, it refers to Nethack, a derivate of the Unix Rogue computer game back from the 80s with a player exploring a dungeon and everything displayed was done with ASCCII symbols. When your character died game was over, using save files - other than for a break in the game - was considered cheating. It did remember when your character died, and there were awesome stupid causes of death in that game, and sometimes it would even create a ghost level with the remains of a past PC to encounter with your next one.

YASD = Yet Another Stupid Death players would post these on a forum back then.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases