D&D 5E RAW: Can druids wear studded leather?

WilliamCQ

Explorer
If I did not address a post, it doesn't mean I'm not interested in it's content, I might have forgotten or did't realize its utility. It's definitely not an oversight if I didn't address RAI or RAF content.

[...] Unless you always play with this DM, I'd suggest buying both and taking the armor that is accepted by the DM on the adventure (make sure to talk to them in advance).
The majority of games I change GMs. I have a limited amount of TPs and I'd rather keep them for something I'll want to redeem right away rather than redeeming something I should ask every game if it's applicable and there's a non-negligible chance it won't be (applicable). I could do that if I ever go so much TP that what would remain (after the potential claim) which I could grab at least 2 nice items (right after its unlock).

[...] All that said, I would see if AL has made a ruling or statement on this. Hopefully they have, but I can't find one.
AFAIK AL seldom make rules and mostly let GMs make their best interpretations of RAW; that wildly vary, some GMs rely on more experienced players to help and take a bit of time to making rulings, to other GMs recalling a vast amount of rules with pretty good precision and have thought about most conflicts between those at the drop of a hat. I always think of the latter when modifying my sheets as more often than not those kind of GMs will look over a sheet if they have any suspicion about it (online a player isn't automatically notified when a GM is doing so).

Anyway I looked for it before creating this thread.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
A DM is never wrong. Sometimes they make house rules without intended to, but never wrong. The rules of the table are what they say the rules are. Which is not to say they can't be swayed by bringing their attention to a subsection of the printed rules they might be unfamiliar with, but it's not like that binds them.

Consult with your DM. Don't try to make rules calls on the basis of your own judgment or the advice of random Internet people. Making these rules calls is the job of your DM and no one else.
This can't be repeated enough. According to the RAW, it is the DM's job to interpret, clarify, and enforce the rules. The DM can't be "wrong," at least not in this sense. Players who like to throw the book around and argue with their DM could be uninvited from the game. (Or maybe that's just me. My DM/wife has little patience for rules lawyers.)

But anyway. To answer your question, the rules-as-written say that the druid cannot wear armor made of metal. That's all it says. "Of metal" could mean crafted entirely from metal, or made with a significant portion of metal, or made with a small amount of metal...but the rules don't specify. If the need ever arises for a more specific answer (and it sounds like it has), you need to ask your DM.

Last edited:

The answers to my question has to be RAW; if your post must contain non-RAW material please make it explicit it does.

I have a druid with some spare TP (treasure points) and some session back he unlocked a Manual of Quickness of Action. He has 14 Dex and has been donning a hide armor.
It sounds like you aren't looking for RAW, but AL-legal.

RAW and RAI, this matter is entirely up the DM's discretion. There is no one, true answer which is RAW at all tables. It's supposed to vary between tables.

As far as the AL is concerned, I don't believe they've addressed this particular question yet, which means it's still up to each individual DM. My best guess is that, if you invest the resources and get it past the first DM, then subsequent DMs will just go with it. That's just a guess, though.

Druids are supposed to wear hide armor, and they're supposed to keep their Dexterity below 16. Whenever you stray from those assumptions, you risk something going wrong. Continue forward at your own discretion.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Since Druids have proficiency in Light and Medium armors, if you take out Studded Leather you are limiting them to Padded, Leather, and Hide only. Seems incredible restrictive to me personally but still when you look at those three armors:

That's the whole point.

If you keep removing these sorts of restrictions then the game ends up just being a 'mush'. The themes get lost.

jgsugden

Legend
Druids will not wear armor or shields made of metal is a restriction under proficiency.

What is, or is not, an armor made of metal is specific to the armor in question. While the PHB specifies what a typical set of armor may be, there are explicit instances of magical armor made of non-metal substances, such as Dragon-Scale Mail, and Scorpion (plate) Armor. Those would b allowed, although the druid may lack proficiency with the armor.

The PHB notes that the items found in the PHB are the common versions of items found in an adventuring world, meaning that there are less common items available.The AL guidance docs discuss what can be used from prior AL leagues, etc..., but there are no RAW restrictions that prevent a PC from buying a pretty rock, from buying a lobster dinner, or from buying armor made of an atypical material. There is also nothing preventing a subsequent DM from saying, "No, your druid can't use the armor made from bug parts."

With specific regard to a suit of studded leather, my ruling based upon RAW and the DM's duty in AL would be that typical studded leather has metal studs, but for a slight surcharge non-metal armor can be crafted. If they have a few days and a couple extra coins, it would be something that could be achieved and used in a game I was running.

Merudo

Explorer
Every armor in its description says the actual word “metal” in its description, except for the following:

Padded
Leather
Studded leather
Hide
Ring Mail

In SCAG there is the Spiked Armor, which gives the option of having non-metal spikes.

This gives use the following list:

Light Armor:
  • Padded (11)
  • Leather (11)
  • Studded leather (12)

Medium armor:
  • Hide (12)
  • Spiked Armor (14)

Heavy armor:
  • Ring Mail (14)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The sage advice answer is about as official as you can get. Which was, "A druid typically wears leather, studded leather, or hide armor, and if a druid comes across scale mail made of a material other than metal, the druid might wear it."

MGibster

Legend
Metal is not mentioned once in there. It mentions "Rivets or spikes" but does not specify that these are made of metal.

A rivet by definition is metal. The PHB doesn't specifically mention the rivets are metal because it's understood that this is the case. But this is D&D so it's always possible to use some sort of exotic material in place of rivets.

Kurotowa

Legend
A rivet by definition is metal. The PHB doesn't specifically mention the rivets are metal because it's understood that this is the case. But this is D&D so it's always possible to use some sort of exotic material in place of rivets.

More relevantly, it's not like Druids only use 100% non-metallic gear. Their magic isn't made out of anti-metallic particles that annihilate on contact. They can carry metal objects, they can wear clothing and gear that employs iron buckles just fine, and half their weapon options are made of steel. It's just a legacy flavor rule that they can't wrap themselves in primarily metal armor. So there's plenty of leeway for metal as a secondary component.

Remove ads