If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] - have I ever said that insight guarantees someone is telling the truth? Because it doesn't. The best someone is going to get is "they seem to be telling the truth", "they seem to be hiding something", "they keep nervously glancing at ___" or something similar.

You will never get "they're lying" or "they're telling the truth" in my game without the use of magic and even that is limited.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Because if that approach is equally effective as "goal and method" you are training your players to skip the goal and method, nudging your game closer to a bland series of dice rolls.

Also:

Because the player has a role and responsibility laid out by the rules of the game to describe what he or she wants to do.

Because the DM has a role and responsibility laid out by the rules to describe the environment and narrate the results of the adventurers action, which does not include describing what the player wants to do making assumptions or establishing what the character is doing (which, again, is the player's role and responsibility).

Because there is no support in the base rules for players asking to make ability checks or the like - this is legacy thinking from D&D 3e and D&D 4e and/or a way to protect against problematic DM approaches.

Because those who don't invest in the skills are much less likely to get automatic successes? (Seriously, I don't understand how this one could not be understood...)

Also:

Because if you're a bold adventurer confronting deadly perils in worlds of swords and sorcery, you will not always be automatically successful since situations will conspire to ensure you cannot remove the uncertainty as to the outcome of your task and/or the meaningful consequence of failure.

Because when you do have to make a check (which will be frequent since you're a bold adventurer), you will be happy you have some resources and features to mitigate the swinginess of the d20.

Because the DM may be following the "middle" path which balances the use of dice against deciding on success, since that encourages the players to strike a balance between relying on their bonuses and abilities and paying attention to the game and immersing themselves in its world. Which, again, further emphasize that you will indeed roll from time to time, sometimes a lot, even if you're working as a player to avoid that wherever possible.

Even if it happens very rarely, if it exists in your game it exists in your game, and then players feel they either need to say "I use (skill) to search for traps!" at every door and chest, or @Hussar's fears are realized and they start going through a pre-flight (or pre-kick-in-the-door) checklist on every portal.

Who cares what emphasis other people put on traps in their game? Anyone asking the sort of question to which you're responding appears to be seeking validation of their approach from people they don't even know which is kind of sad. We should look to your own players for validation, I say. If none is found, then perhaps it's time to change.

G

Guest 6801328

[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] - have I ever said that insight guarantees someone is telling the truth? Because it doesn't. The best someone is going to get is "they seem to be telling the truth", "they seem to be hiding something", "they keep nervously glancing at ___" or something similar.

You will never get "they're lying" or "they're telling the truth" in my game without the use of magic and even that is limited.

Cool. If that’s working for you then keep doing it.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
For all the back and forth on this topic that we seem to have every time it comes up, I think the majority of game play would actually be quite similar for most of us.

However there are still things I don't think I will ever understand:
  • Why is "I use [INSERT SKILL]" forbidden if the intent and action is clear? Because 80% of the time when people say it in my game it is. That other 20%? I ask for clarification. I encourage more descriptive play, but that may be as simple as "I use [INSERT SKILL] by doing [INSERT DETAIL]".
Why do you so badly want to say "I rolled a 17 perception!" rather than, "I take a minute and carefully look over the door for traps?" I mean, really, you're entirely focused on an aesthetic choice of declaration and entirely missing the point -- with goal and approach I do not have to do the assuming you're happy to do in 80% of your rolls. Further, it's never always obvious if your assumption matches the player's -- ie, it's not a hard line at your made up 80/20 split where you always, always know if this is a 79th percentile declaration or an 81st. I never have this problem because it's always 100% I have the player tell me.

Further, there is NO time savings to your method. I've played both ways, remember. I was on your side of this discussion 3 years ago and was quite rude to [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION] in the process because I didn't get it, either, even though I really thought I did. I know how you play because I played that way and made your same arguments. And, I can tell you from experience, I get more done in a single session than I did before, with no less time for bsing and silly interruptions. You keep asserting that letting players call for checks quickly skips boring interactions, but that's not my experience -- my experience is that I don't have to put in the boring interactions anymore for them to be something to skip over.

• How are you not diminishing the values of investment in skills if a person can just describe what they're doing to get an automatic success*?
Studied inattention, again. You've been told that the DC of a check or possibility of autosuccess isn't dependent on magic words, but on the overall situation. Take the poisoned doorknob example. If I had a PC who had time, was trained in poisoner's kit, and said, "I carefully wipe off the doorknob with a cloth," that would likely be autosuccess because they have the requisite training and I reward approaches that lean into character skills. At worst, they'd have advantage for their training. If Bob the Fighter said the same thing, Bob's making a DEX check. If Bob has a background in roguish things, he can add his proficiency in a skill that fits (I'm flexible, so I can see sleight of hand, thieves' tools, etc.).

Proficiency is stupid important in my games. Being proficient is likely to get automatic additional information on a scene, and stronger consideration for autosuccess on a related approach than lack. There are plenty of places that I let someone proficient succeed outright where the non-proficient get a roll (usually these are low DC checks, though, or things that fit very squarely into the specialize training represented by a proficiency).

• Why is finding/disabling the once in a blue moon trap/secret door with a couple of dice rolls a deal breaker for you if you aren't the person doing it and it takes a minute or so to resolve? It's a minor speed bump I put in for flavor, not the focus of the game for me.

Let me paraphrase this and see if you notice the problem:

"Why is killling/capturing the BBEG with a couple of dice rolls a deal breaker if you aren't the person doing it and it takes a minute of so to resolve?"

If I place a trap in my game, it's important to the game. It's a big obstacle to the goal. It isn't a random drop in just to be there or something that doesn't matter. It's very presence means it's important to the game. So, skipping it with a "couple of dice rolls" is akin to you letting you players capture the BBEG from the comfort of the tavern by just making a few skill checks. It's skipping the point of playing.

I'll say it again, and bold it, so that maybe you catch it this time: we don't have pointless traps in our games that need any mechanism to shortcuts the boring stuff. A trap in our games will be a big part of the adventure, much like an important combat or important social encounter. They are not things that need to be elided because they're boring to play out and show up often enough to need a SOP. This is not a problem we have at all, so your "solution" doesn't address anything in our games.

• Why is it a big deal if the DM wants to keep the players guessing about whether or not the PC is using deception by having people roll an insight check?
Because it hides the game. Honestly, if you want your players to live in a cloud of confusion because even on a success the fiction doesn't appreciably change. You've said that a successful Insight check to detect a lie will usually get a vague "he seems evasive" response. Good grief, why are you doing this even in your style?! If the players succeed, do not be a jerk and hide the game, give them their success. If you allow a check, let that check mean something more than just 'you get a feeling he might be lying.' GAH!

My entry into this thread was to tell the OP that he appears to be hiding too much of his game. I make this recommendation to anyone, without regard to preference for how you use dice: DO NOT HIDE YOUR GAME! If your think you need to keep the players in the dark, you really need to realize that players are already in the dark -- they only ever can know what you've told them, and we all do a lousy job telling anyone else everything we know. So, stop doing this. Give information when the players earn it, either through open roleplay, if that's your bag, or players asking for checks and succeeding, if that's it, or using goal and approach, or any other method of resolution. HONOR THE RESOLUTION! Let the players actually succeed! I see too much of 'well, if I tell them outright, that removes the mystery!' This is YOUR PROBLEM AS A GM! Your mystery sucks if it's hinges on the players not knowing if this one guy is lying. Do better, don't hide information as a crutch for your poor planning or need to force an outcome because your prep says the players have to fall for the lie.

The above two paras are general, not specific yous. If you feel this is talking to you, specifically, you should examine why that is. Maybe it is talking to you specifically.

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION], I can't think of anything new to add. I've stated how I run my game and that I don't forbid phrases as long as what the PC is doing is clear. Some people do allow players to bypass skills with a good description, you've been unclear at times but if you say skills are important I believe you. I don't treat insight as a truth detector.

That's all, and I still don't understand why this particular topic is so controversial. Have a good one.

Yardiff

Adventurer
"When tying your shoes can lead to serious injuries on a natural 1"

Nobody in this thread has mention anything like this extreme example. Unless of course the character has a really low dex, something like 10-11, then when they try to tie their shoes they have a good chance of tying their fingers in knots instead.

Oofta

Legend
That suggests to me that you still don’t understand what we are saying, but that you think you do.

Yeah, how could I possibly come to the conclusion that some DMs allow players to bypass skill checks completely.

If the DM can decide that the character automatically succeeds on a task, then that's a far better outcome than taking a chance on a fickle d20. One worth striving for, I'd say, which means in such a game the smart play is not to ask to roll but to describe what you want to do in such a way that you remove the uncertainty as to the outcome and/or the meaningful consequence of failure. In doing so, you're setting up a situation where the DM can't call for a roll which is far more reliable than rolling, if success if your goal. Further, players that are striving for this outcome tend to be more engaged and descriptive, delving into the environment for any edge they can get. I'd say that's a nice byproduct of the system.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
A situation where I can see a lot of mundane obstacles to overcome would be playing something like Dragon Heist. There you can imagine a lot of locked doors to get past, or guards (city and private) to evade. Now those could be resolved with dice rolls, but most of the time they should not be. Remember if there’s no penalty for taking time then the PCs will eventually succeed. (a locked door just costs 10 minutes, waiting for a patrol to pass the same.) But if you’re being chased by the city guards, then quickly getting through a locked door suddenly becomes critical. If you fail the check and take too much time the guards will catch you!

So the locked doors and guard encounters that are narrated through are foreshadowing the possibility that if you need to move fast through the city things are going to be tricky, you won’t be able to duck into a building because its door is likely to be locked and running down the street is likely to produce an encounter with another patrol.

Satyrn

First Post
So the way the see it, I think, is that in your playstyle all 'classes' are sub-classes of the 'Adventurer Class' and the 'Adventurer Class' gives everyone a certain set of adventuring knowledge.

Aye. That's accurate enough.

Edit: Indeed, I am constantly tempted to dump all the rules around skill proficiency entirely, and implement old school ability checks: like, if an action is at all possible, I'd just say "roll a Strength check" and the player would tell me if they succeed by rolling under their strength score.

No more skill lists, no more tools, no more DCs. No more players dirty looks. Schools been blown to pieces . . .ahem. Got a little sidetracked there.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases