D&D 5E Strength is agile

[MENTION=6801216]ChrisCarlson[/MENTION]

Step away from the thread.

image.jpg

seebs

Adventurer
I want to point out, your interpretation of the rules for highjump produces heights that are humanly impossible. Such an impossible interpretation defeats the purpose of comparing the 20 Strength to reallife humans.

I would say it suggests that comparing 20 strength to real life humans is probably silly, because D&D is not about real life humans.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

We will say this once.

You don't have to agree with each other. But we expect you to be RESPECTFUL to each other. If you can't do that in this thread, please walk away.

And, just so you know, the mocking images a couple of you are using? Not cutting the mustard. Take constructive part int he thread, or go find a better use of your time, please.

Thanks, all.

Radaceus

Adventurer
OP, You obviously have never performed any of these feats...Or I assume you have nor from the stance of your claim and the validity of the same claim.

As someone who has worked in the most dangerous of industries (Commercial fishing in the Bering), and also has worked with both very strong and very agile individuals, I refute that Strength=Agile, on the grounds that no amount of strength will help you to dodge unlashed gear on a rocking boat, nor is the reverse true, your agility will not make one iota of difference when you go in the drink to heft yourself into a life-raft. Furthermore I have done my fare share of rock-climbing, traversing negative slope requires strength, making a leap to a handhold ( brave/foolish) is a feat of agility...holding on requires strength....

They are not one and the same.

And yes, you could combine them into a single roll....for instance an Athletics Check(5E) and use the correlating Ability Score as needs be

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=6796086]Radaceus[/MENTION]

To be clearer about what is being said in this thread:

Dungeons & Dragons has six abilities. One of these abilities is called Strength.

The Strength ability is responsible for more than Weightlifting alone. It is also responsible for ‘athleticism’. This athleticism includes mobility, aim, accuracy, and proficiency.

This kind of accuracy in D&D corresponds to reallife gross motor skills, ‘big’ movements of the body.

The ‘athletic’ aspect of Strength, is how D&D uses Strength for the athletic stunts that the original post visualizes, such as jumping and climbing. Explosive muscular power is an aspect of Strength, including the competent application of this Strength.

It seems useful to apply the Athletics skill proficiency to any ability check that a particular circumstance demands:
And yes, you could combine them into a single roll....for instance an Athletics Check and use the correlating Ability Score as needs be
Yeah.

Radaceus

Adventurer
[MENTION=6796086]Radaceus[/MENTION]

To be clearer about what is being said in this thread:

Dungeons & Dragons has six abilities. One of these abilities is called Strength.

The Strength ability is responsible for more than Weightlifting alone. It is also responsible for ‘athleticism’. This athleticism includes mobility, aim, accuracy, and proficiency.

This kind of accuracy in D&D corresponds to reallife gross motor skills, ‘big’ movements of the body.

The ‘athletic’ aspect of Strength, is how D&D uses Strength for the athletic stunts that the original post visualizes, such as jumping and climbing. Explosive muscular power is an aspect of Strength, including the competent application of this Strength.

It seems useful to apply the Athletics skill proficiency to any ability check that a particular circumstance demands:

Yeah.

Right, and likewise apply Strength to Acrobatics checks.

I do in fact do this, what happens is I just say "Make a Strength check, please"...but in fact in my notes it says 'Strength DC14 (Acrobatics)' meaning if they are proficient in acrobatics, I will allow a proficiency bonus to apply.

The thing is a new skill is not necessary, in that one or the other (Athletics, Acrobatics) covers all the bases.

Right, and likewise apply Strength to Acrobatics checks.

I do in fact do this, what happens is I just say "Make a Strength check, please"...but in fact in my notes it says 'Strength DC14 (Acrobatics)' meaning if they are proficient in acrobatics, I will allow a proficiency bonus to apply.

The thing is a new skill is not necessary, in that one or the other (Athletics, Acrobatics) covers all the bases.

So, you use a Strength (acrobatics) check for jumping and climbing stunts?

Radaceus

Adventurer
So, you use a Strength (acrobatics) check for jumping and climbing stunts?

That would fall under athletics, but in such cases where strength is required while performing an acrobatic feat ( i.e., traversing negative slope, a handhold during a jump while performing parkay stunt as portrayed in many of the pictures in the OP), I would do so, and vice versa. Because they do overlap, Athletics/Acrobatics; rather than making two skill checks, one can suffice.

Point being, a new skill check (Finesse), as some hybrid of DEX_STR is not necessary.

Remove ads