RPG Crate Spotlight: RPGCrate

In the latest installment of our role-playing game crate service overview, I caught up with Chris Hinson, owner of RPGCrate.

In the latest installment of our role-playing game crate service overview, I caught up with Chris Hinson, owner of RPGCrate.

[h=3]The Beginning[/h]RPG Crate got its start like so many crate services, as an answer to the inconvenience of trying to assemble a game. Hinson explains how it all came together:

Being a gamer for 30 years, it got to where it was such a chore to put together a game. Between family, work, and friends, I had to split my precious time. Finding new and fresh art, awesome dungeons, crazy critters, deep story lines with interesting NPCs really shouldn’t be a matter of hours and hours of research. You could always download stuff, but it never seemed to fit together or work well in an existing game. There had to be a better way. I’ve had an online RPG business for years, where I bought and sold RPGs, but it was really just a side job while I worked in the corporate world. So, I just decided to go big or go home…and created RPGCrate.

January is the sixth month since RPGCrate's inception:

...the momentum is HUGE! We totally sold out of month 1 and have raised production each month thereafter…so the sky is the limit!
[h=3]What's in the Box?[/h]Members receive every month a cardboard 12” x 9” x 3” box of tabletop RPG items ranging from modules, exclusive adventures, dice, miniatures, t-shirts, and crafts. A lot of the products are exclusive only to RPGCrate, early releases, or procured and created by independent developers. They also feature a monthly on-going and ever expanding adventure setting titled “Tales From the Bloody Bucket”. RPGCrate focuses on art, adventures, and created content that gamers can use as stand-alone or part of their existing campaign. The vast majority are 5th Edition compatible with old school conversation stat blocks. Hinson says the goal is usability:

We supplement this with a sampling of miniatures, Dice and other crafted items…but the main focus will remain adventures and gear you will actually use - no bobble-heads in this crate!...Heck, even the packing material is DragonFoam Pick & Pluck material that can be saved up and used for years.

RPGCrate offers a monthly membership for $29.89 (plus shipping) worldwide. Why pay for shipping?

I’m asked sometimes about shipping charges. As everyone knows, nothing’s free in this world…free shipping just means it’s baked into the price. This way people see exactly how much content they can expect, and as we grow, our members will begin receiving even more treasure through the volume discounts that are possible. Our pricing model is designed to increase value over time and volume.

RPGCrate recently added a King’s Bounty giveaway where each month one lucky member will wins a massive amount of RPG gaming gear.
[h=3]What Gamers Want[/h]RPGCrate is focused on quality and consistency, with the goal of introducing amers to products they might not normally come across:

It’s a fantastic way to get a sample of products, continue to spice up your games, and experience a birthday gift every month. The excitement of getting something unknown or new is awesome…ppl love getting surprises in the mail. Holding the box, opening it up, and watching your players have fun with the stories that you mold to your own campaign…awesome!

By all accounts the model works:

The response has been absolutely AMAZING. Support came flooding in as soon as we launched the social media campaign. We’re rolling into our 3rd month and could not be more excited about the great items coming in future moths. The independent market has some great contributors…and these crate services are excellent ways for them to get exposure.

That doesn't mean it's easy. Hinson has some tips for future entrepreneurs:

Think seriously about what is your passion. If you’re passionate about games, love gaming, and you're only “so so” about business, accounting, or taxes, then DON”T start a business; you’ll ruin your favorite hobby. However, if you’re also passionate about business, customer service, and you love nothing more than seeing a plan come together, then add the spice (spice is life) and give it a go!

As for his fellow RPG crate services:

I want to give a special thanks to Mythoard and DungeonCrate. These guys are trailblazers and it’s a challenging road to cut. The things they’ve done to increase awareness of independent publishers and crafters is fantastic and I wish them all the best. RPGCrate is focused on story, art and written content (with dice, minis, and gear added for spice), so I think there is a market for all types of interests.

If you'd like to learn more about RPGCrate, visit RPGCrate.com on the web and social media.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, and communicator. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Shawn Carman

Explorer
Is there an independent comparison of these three anywhere? I'd be interested in trying one but I'd like to see an educated evaluation from a party experienced with all three.

talien

Community Supporter
Is there an independent comparison of these three anywhere? I'd be interested in trying one but I'd like to see an educated evaluation from a party experienced with all three.

Valid question! I've approached all three but currently only get review copies from Mythoard. Once that changes the best way to draw a comparison of all three is to actually show you what you get in the "crate." Hoping to be able to do that in the future.

turkeygiant

First Post
I have sadly yet to see one of these crates that really impressed me, the buisness model is pretty much locked in on you getting maybe one worthwhile thing that is worth nowhere near the cost of the box and everything else is junk you are probably going to toss. Its just the reality that to make money the box has to be mostly random clearance crap. I would like to see someone create a "crate" that is actually filled with stuff created just for it, each month send me a hard envelope with an adventure and some themed dungeon tiles and pawns or minis, that is something I would support.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have sadly yet to see one of these crates that really impressed me, the buisness model is pretty much locked in on you getting maybe one worthwhile thing that is worth nowhere near the cost of the box and everything else is junk you are probably going to toss. Its just the reality that to make money the box has to be mostly random clearance crap. I would like to see someone create a "crate" that is actually filled with stuff created just for it, each month send me a hard envelope with an adventure and some themed dungeon tiles and pawns or minis, that is something I would support.

Exactly. I was looking for a mini subscription service, but even if that existed, I doubt it would be as good of a deal as just buying individual minis from the eBay seller I buy from.

But, if each month I could get an adventure, with associated tiles and minis, I would seriously consider it. Given the price of minis, however, that is probably not doable. Perhaps pogs or carboard/plastic stand-up 2D minis.

Rygar

Explorer

I can tell you about my experiences. I subscribed to DungeonCrate and RPGCrate (Current). First, let me say both of these are awesome products and probably worth the expense.

DungeonCrate - DungeonCrate is a "Generalist" approach, while each month is themed it will include miniatures, pawns, dice, sometimes a small adventure, and various themed tchotke's (Like coins, or handmade coasters). These products aren't no-name or cheapy brands, they're big brands like Reaper Miniatures. If you're someone who tends to be more oriented towards props and miniatures and not so much towards adventures then DungeonCrate is worth trying.

RPGCrate - RPGCrate is a more specific approach, again there's themes each month, but you will consistently receive a few small-ish adventures (Often with maps), perhaps a "Splat" book, a mini or two or pawns, perhaps some dice, and usually a T-Shirt (Which can sometimes be extremely awesome!). While not everything is a major brand, the quality is very high. This is a really good product for someone who is interested in adventures/splats and likes the occasional tchotke or accessory.

Overall I really don't feel these two products are in competition with one another, they're both quality and they cater towards different demographics within our market.
@Chibi - Having subscribed to LootCrate IMO it is a complete waste of money. I've got a bunch of Pop vinyls I'll never do anything with, the occasional bit of candy, some T-shirts that generally aren't all that great (I will not be wearing a Robocop or Voltron T-shirt in public). I can count on one hand the number of genuinely interesting items I received from them. LootCrate's market is really teenagers.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads