Distract drop invisibility?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Regardless of what he believes or whether he's right or not, he's inviting an explanation to an apparent double-standard. Answering it would settle the issue. A smug dismissal doesn't simply demonstrates that you've got nothing else to validate your side of the argument.

Nah, he thinks there's a double standard and has shown he has no interest in hears reasons why. In the face of that, I say let him play how he wants, it's not skin off my nose.

If you also think that melee attack means an attack against an opponent in melee, I can't fault that reasoning, so have at. I disagree, because melee attack has a context that precludes such a reading for me, but I can't make you agree with me, and I certainly can't help if you insist on making the most twisted readings you can as some kind of example that you can't read the word attack as meaning attack. Have fun with that, enjoy your games! I hope you win on the internets!

nswanson27

First Post
Nah, he thinks there's a double standard and has shown he has no interest in hears reasons why. In the face of that, I say let him play how he wants, it's not skin off my nose.

If you also think that melee attack means an attack against an opponent in melee, I can't fault that reasoning, so have at. I disagree, because melee attack has a context that precludes such a reading for me, but I can't make you agree with me, and I certainly can't help if you insist on making the most twisted readings you can as some kind of example that you can't read the word attack as meaning attack. Have fun with that, enjoy your games! I hope you win on the internets!

Well I would encourage you to talk to others about how they read it, and maybe tweet JC, and see how many people have a "twisted" reading. Point being, you're trying to disparage the your opposing side and then walking away. What kind of impression do you think that leaves people?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Well I would encourage you to talk to others about how they read it, and maybe tweet JC, and see how many people have a "twisted" reading. Point being, you're trying to disparage the your opposing side and then walking away. What kind of impression do you think that leaves people?

Or ... this has never come up in a game I've actually played. As far as I know there are 3 random people on the internet who have an issue with reading "attack" as any attack.

And yes, when faced with obtuse objections and refusal to accept that it's just a different way of interpreting the rules and making a ruling, then the only option is to walk away.

Congratulations! Your stubborn refusal to accept any opinion other than your own has won a gold star!
gold star.jpeg

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

Disparage? I'm sorry, but [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] said he was intentionally twisting words to make his argument, and you were agreeing with him, so how can I disparage you for saying that you were doing what you said you were doing?!

Seriously, I'm at a loss, here.

nswanson27

First Post
Disparage? I'm sorry, but @jaelis said he was intentionally twisting words to make his argument, and you were agreeing with him, so how can I disparage you for saying that you were doing what you said you were doing?!

Seriously, I'm at a loss, here.

Well, maybe I'm wrong (and I'd have to re-read it more carefully), but I remember him employing, in essence, reducto ad absurdum. When one does that, it's not that they are claiming that they hold the "twisted" or "absurd" conclusion, it's that they are trying to point out the methodology that the other side is using could be used to make that conclusion - thereby pointing to a fault in the methodology.
The whole "common language" argument is one that anyone can stretch any which way they want. What you claim is "common" may not be for others. It's not that there doesn't exist a "common language" metric, it's that simply state that as "the reason I'm right" doesn't actually add much of anything to an objective discussion, since it's too hard to nail down what it is. You have to point to something more tangible - like sage advice rulings that would concretely demonstrate what "common language" means to them.
But I'll go re-read it.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'm sad to read that, because the reason I'm interested in the discussion is because I want to understand the reasons for your position. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that there are no reasons beyond simple preference, but my mind is still open.

For instance:
because melee attack has a context that precludes such a reading for me,
that's a reason! If you can identify the context difference between OAs and invisibility that leads to your different conclusions, I would be happy.

nswanson27

First Post
And yet for some reason (or no reason?), just as in the PHB he either refuses or neglects to add the 1-3 words that would completely and utterly put the matter to rest. Make that "if" into "just if" or "exactly if" or tack "otherwise, no" onto the end and all doubt is removed.

So I did mention this earlier, but keep in mind a lot of people speak this way, they will say "if..." and not say "only if...", but they do mean equivalence. The other thing is that, if you read it only as a one-directional implication, the sentence fails to accomplish what it sets out to do. The subject in the sentence is "attack", and it's clear what to do if there's an attack roll, but reading it that way just leaves the reader asking, "but what if there isn't an attack roll? How should I know then?". Yet the context of the sentence is an all-encompassing to-go for figure out what an attack is. Would the designers have put in such a deficient sentence if that's what they really meant? I don't think so, and the sage advice columns presented doesn't suggest that either.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Well, maybe I'm wrong (and I'd have to re-read it more carefully),
Well, thank you for that, I think.
but I remember employing, in essence, reducto ad absurdum. When one does that, it's not that they are claiming that they hold the "twisted" or "absurd" conclusion, it's that they are trying to point out the the methodology that the other side is using could be used to make that conclusion - thereby pointing to a fault in the methodology.
You have to advance the absurd position, so I'm not sure how you can say you're not engaged in twisting words to reach that absurd conclusion if it's required to make the argument.

Also, it's reductio. Pretty sure Reducto is a Potterverse spell. Yep, it is! It's the verbal component of the Reducter Curse. Amusingly, that curse is for blowing things up, so it's at least somewhat related to reductio ad absurdum. TMYK.

The whole "common language" argument is one that anyone can stretch any which way they want. What you claim is "common" may not be for others. It's not that there doesn't exist a "common language" metric, it's that simply state that as "the reason I'm right" doesn't actually add much of anything to an objective discussion, since it's too hard to nail down what it is. You have to point to something more tangible - like sage advice rulings that would concretely demonstrate what "common language" means to them.
But I'll go re-read it.

Sage advice is not showing what common language means, it's the forum where Crawford provided rules lawyering for rules lawyers. He only ever returns the literal reading of the rules, because the function of Sage Advice is NOT to provide new guidance or introduce errata or corrections. In fact, Crawford is quite skilled at answering questions only by quoting back rules and making it look like he answered the question fully by doing so. Often, though, there are still huge cracks in Sage Advice twit responses.

As for the usage of common language, I strongly disagree with your assertion. An attack is pretty easily understandable, and we wouldn't be having any discussion about breath weapons re: attacks if the language of the rules didn't exist. And that language is not exclusive in it's phrasing, it's exemplary.

Those in this thread that argue for a broader view of the word attack in the Invisibility spell description do not ignore the exemplary definition of attack -- we acknowledge fully that anything that makes an attack roll is an attack. We disagree this is the only possible, or even intentional meaning. Meanwhile the argument you call a reductio ad absurdum is intentionally ignoring the definition of melee attack -- that it's an attack made in hand-to-hand combat (another commonly understood term), usually with a weapon, and a monster makes such an attack with a body part unless otherwise called out. In other words, it's a different logical basis for argument and not a reductio of the one used for attack and invisibility. The purpose of this is to say 'see, I can twist things, too!' The problem is that those making the attack argument are not twisting anything -- they are saying that the exemplary definition of attack in the rules is not exclusive, and they refer to past iterations of the rule to show agreement with their thinking. Which set of supporting evidence are you using for melee attacks?

But, even that said, I really don't see a huge problem with allowing a dragon (or dragonborn) to use their breath weapon as an OA. I don't see anything that breaks, it's flavorful, and it punches up those abilities in ways I actually like (dragonborn breath attacks are weak, and dragons can always stand to be more terrifying). My comment, while you're correct I didn't believe [MENTION=60210]jaelis[/MENTION] would play that way, wasn't facetitous in that I really don't have any problem whatsoever with that ruling, and I might even use it myself with some more thought. The Mirror Image discussion started with me saying I have not issues with Magic Missile interacting like that. Both of these example show that even attempting to reductio ad absurdum the problem doesn't actually lead to absurd outcomes. They may not be outcomes you like, but they're not absurd.

Remove ads