Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay's Core Character Stats

Cubicle 7 has previewed the core character statistics of its upcoming Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay -- Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Initiative, Agility, Dexterity, Intelligence, Willpower, and Fellowship.

Cubicle 7 has previewed the core character statistics of its upcoming Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay -- Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Initiative, Agility, Dexterity, Intelligence, Willpower, and Fellowship.

35553325_1631241240277969_3764519859778486272_o.jpg

"Today we’re going to tackle one of the most frequently asked questions about the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: what, exactly, is the stat line? So, with no further ado, here it is:
  • Weapon Skill (WS) – close-quarters fighting ability
  • Ballistic Skill (BS) – ranged fighting ability
  • Strength (S) – physical strength
  • Toughness (T) – hardiness and healthiness
  • Initiative (I) – speed of thought, reaction, and awareness
  • Agility (Agi) – coordination and natural athleticism
  • Dexterity (Dex) – ability to perform delicate manual tasks
  • Intelligence (Int) – powers of thought, analysis, and understanding
  • Willpower (WP) – strength of mind and determination
  • Fellowship (Fel) – ability to influence and befriend others
Each of these Characteristics has a numerical value, along the same general scale as those used in the first and second editions of the game. That said, as WFRP4 has no upper limit, some nasty creatures have Characteristics soaring significantly higher than 100! Whatever the number, the first or ‘tens’ digit of each Characteristic is its bonus value, which is used in a variety of different ways, including limiting Talents and defining spells, and determining Wound loss in combat.
Characteristics are used as the basis for your Skills. Much like second edition, skills come in two kinds, basic and advanced. Everyone has access to basic Skills, but advanced Skills can only be used if you have learned them, for example as part of your career.

You’ll note that we have Dexterity and Agility — why both? Those familiar with RPGs will have seen those terms used interchangeably. Dwarfs are a great example for why we wanted to include each as a discrete Characteristic. Dwarfs are known for their exquisite works of craftmanship rather than for being flexible acrobatics, and we believed supporting that difference was important, allowing Dwarfs to make intricate machines, jewellery, and artefacts, but not have a natural flair for dance. So we used Dexterity to reflect manual dexterity, leaving Agility to define nimbleness of the body.

Similarly, we wanted to differentiate between speed of body and speed of mind, so we have both Agility and Initiative. Agility is used for tests involving dodging, dancing and similar movements of the body. By comparison, Initiative is used for perceiving, reacting and intuiting what’s happening in the world around you."

Psikerlord#

Explorer
My gut reaction is I dont like the split of agility and dexterity. Confusing and unnecessary. I can live with it though, once I get used to it.

The C7 site has the pdf releasing in June with the book in July...home stretch to seeing it in some form.

From Facebook, 3 days ago, re PDF publish date: "Cubicle 7 Entertainment: We're working on it Corey, if it isn't June it shouldn't be far into July. We'll keep you posted on progress here. The previews will lead up to the retail launch though, so it's not just about the PDF release"

Jhaelen

First Post
My gut reaction is I dont like the split of agility and dexterity.
I think there's probably more RPGs out there that have this split than RPGs that combine both into the same stat.
Imho, it all depends on how granular you want your basic stats to be. It can also help to provide a better balance: You generally don't want a single stat to be too 'useful', otherwise every character will try to max it.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised that 'Weapon Skill' and 'Ballistic Skill' are considered stats. Even the naming suggests, that they're not! Although, I suppose in a game where there's 'only war', it makes sense ;-)
(Or is that only the case in Warhammer 40k?)

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Defiantly more excited for this than Pathfinder 2e. Talked to C7 at Origins and they were looking at July for PDF and book in late July or August.

Oh I hadn't seen the piece of art before for some reason! I like that a lot!

... is it on sale now?

It's available for pre order, PDF is out either the end of the month or early next. Not 100% sure of the physical copies. There is a real neat, but expensive collectors box, the core rules book, or a starter box (looks similar to 5E)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads