D&D 5E Anyone else finding character advancement pretty dull?

Is 5e character advancement boring?

• Yes, extremely dull!

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • It's fine but not more than that

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • No, I love 5e character advancement

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 9 4.9%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Fair point. Yes some of these passive bonuses are significant. I was thinking about decisions and choices in combat. I just mean that in combat I make two decisions - rage or not rage and reckless attack or not. A few more choices and depth in building archetypes would be nice IMO.

And I agree with wanting more options. On the other hand, having a really simple class is in my opinion, necessary to the game. I've had many players who just didn't want to play spellcasters or other complex classes because there was too much to think about. They played fighters a whole lot. Perhaps a path with more choices can be developed.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm thinking the main reason is because the "we" you speak of is a minority. Highly vocal and passionate, yes, but a minority.

Lots of us think 5e has plenty of crunch, tyvm, and it's one of the reasons we came back to the franchise after many years away.
Sorry Mr Straw Man, but I don't have to choose.

I like 5E. I would have liked it more if it offered more player-side crunch.

CapnZapp

Legend
Put another way, WotC is putting the content at the pace and level they are now due to popular demand and commercial pressure.
Didn't know you too had a need to be WotC's mouthpiece.

Why you lot feel you must defend them I'll never understand.

Myself, I can critique works I like.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wouldn’t say very happy with it. I like the wealth of options, but it still needs a lot of polish to be something I’d describe myself as “very happy with.” It’s still got that awful 3e-era rules-as-game-engine design philosophy holding it back.

- an unsatisfied option-hungry 4e fan.
Yes.

- an unsatisfied option-hungry 5e fan.

CapnZapp

Legend
And I agree with wanting more options. On the other hand, having a really simple class is in my opinion, necessary to the game. I've had many players who just didn't want to play spellcasters or other complex classes because there was too much to think about. They played fighters a whole lot. Perhaps a path with more choices can be developed.
Yes, I don't understand why the people clamoring for a complex Champion doesn't understand the great value in the game having at least one crunch-free subclass.

If they at least said "okay so make a simple Ranger or something" showing me they accept WHY the Champion is so straightforward, but noo...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Didn't know you too had a need to be WotC's mouthpiece.

Why you lot feel you must defend them I'll never understand.

Myself, I can critique works I like.

It really is quite simple: I like what they are doing, and am willing to pay them money and let them know that in surveys. They are not "getting away" with anything other than responding to consumer demand.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Having read Jester's PF2 review one thing that struck me was the magic item choosing for treasure. It is a rethemed magic mart.

Having actual random treasure creates interesting changes in characters. As they level they adapt to the treasure they have found. In contrast to going through the items and picking out the ones they want for their build.

I have a feeling that many who find character advancement dull are also ones who pick their magic Items. That to me is a dull way to play the game. Magic Items should be exciting.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have a feeling that many who find character advancement dull are also ones who pick their magic Items.

Nope, at least not in my case. I don’t even consider magic items part of character building at all, since magic item distribution is the DM’s purview, not the players’. I DM more than I play, but when I play, I go in with the assumption of no magic items at all, that way whatever method of treasure distribution the DM prefers to use, it always exceeds my expectations.

Remove ads