Why deciding to round down multiclassing spellcaster levels was stupid

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Yes, you describe it correctly. On half the levels it shifts it up by one. Considering the whole post what that half the time it shifts it down by one, I hope you can see how that's a big deal.

A Paladin 1 / Sorcerer 1 has the same spell slots as a Sorcerer 2 using your math, plus all the extra goodies a half-caster gets because they shouldn't be advancing their magic as quickly.

Except they don't. A Paladin 3/Sorcerer 1 doesn't have Paladin 4 features, nor does it have the same features as a Sorcerer 3, let alone a Sorcerer 4.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Except they don't. A Paladin 3/Sorcerer 1 doesn't have Paladin 4 features, nor does it have the same features as a Sorcerer 3, let alone a Sorcerer 4.

Except that you're debating things I never said.

Let's take it from the top.

Are a paladin in the PHB, and the exact same paladin except with full casting the same power?

If you say yes, there's no point in continuing this conversation, so I assume you're going to say no.

Yet by your round up, when you combine an odd number of levels of paladin with any full caster, one of their levels becomes a "full caster" level in addition to all the rest that paladin gives you. Paladin 3 is caster level 1.5, while Paladin 3 / Sorcerer 1 gains two whole casting levels from Paladin.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Except that you're debating things I never said.

Let's take it from the top.

Are a paladin in the PHB, and the exact same paladin except with full casting the same power?

If you say yes, there's no point in continuing this conversation, so I assume you're going to say no.

Yet by your round up, when you combine an odd number of levels of paladin with any full caster, one of their levels becomes a "full caster" level in addition to all the rest that paladin gives you. Paladin 3 is caster level 1.5, while Paladin 3 / Sorcerer 1 gains two whole casting levels from Paladin.

All the Paladin odd levels are already full caster levels. A Paladin 3 has the same spell slots as a full caster 2. It's only when multiclassed that they're not.
That was... kinda the whole point of the thread.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
A Paladin 1 / Sorcerer 1 has the same spell slots as a Sorcerer 2 using your math, plus all the extra goodies a half-caster gets because they shouldn't be advancing their magic as quickly.
Even using Yunru's rule, a Paladin 1/Sorcerer 1 only has Sorc 1 casting, as a Paladin 1 is not a spellcaster, and doesn't qualify for the multiclass spellcasting rules.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Even using Yunru's rule, a Paladin 1/Sorcerer 1 only has Sorc 1 casting, as a Paladin 1 is not a spellcaster, and doesn't qualify for the multiclass spellcasting rules.

Yes, I put up a bad example. Doesn't change the main trust of the argument.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Yes, I put up a bad example. Doesn't change the main trust of the argument.

Ummm... what?
It also applies to any other example possible.
All the 1/2 and 1/3 casters round up in their personal tracks.

And I don't see the argument. A Paladin taking a level in a full caster goes up by... 1 caster level. I see no issue?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Captain obvious much?

Oh come on, my reply was well in line with yours. If you want to play the "But no feats" game then don't play the "But no muticlassing" game with me. My point stands that you can in fact simulate a wizard with a champion fighter using feats, which they get more of than anyone else. In fact I was kinda impressed just how much magic you can produce with that build I outlined, and was thinking about which cantrips and first level spell make the most sense and if Charisma is needed for the build despite it being the key ability for their racial spells (was unsure if any actually needed a DC or spell attack roll). The Sage or Cloistered Scholar backgrounds both fit pretty well also. In Waterdeep, Guild Artisan: Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors would work as well.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
[MENTION=6780961]Yunru[/MENTION], I'm entirely onboard with you here. If I have a multiclasser, I'll be rounding up after dividing levels and adding them together. The Eldritch Knight and Paladin progressions are rounding up. There's nothing a Paladin/Ranger gains that should require them to loose "caster levels". The Spell Point system does this to characters too.

G

Guest 6801328

This sounds to me a bit like saying that tying ASIs to class instead of character is "stupid".

I mean, you clearly disagree with their intentional design decision, but it's kind of hard to take you seriously when you jump on adjectives like "stupid", just because you think multi-classing shouldn't have any penalties.

Remove ads