The Wandmaker Patron

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Your patron is both your sponsor and your wand-crafter. For what reason might they have chosen you for this power?

Expanded Spell List:
The Wandmaker lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.
1st: Magic Missile, Shield
2nd: Levitate, Scorching Ray
3rd: Animate Dead, Call Lightning
4th: Compulsion, Confusion
5th: Animate Objects, Modify Memory​

The Wand:
Starting at 1st level, you get a wand focus unique to you. This wand may be used as a focus for any spells you know, and only works for you. You can make your wand appear in your hand as a bonus action.
Additionally, while wielding your unique focus, you can cast the Thaumaturgy and Predigistation cantrips. Starting at 6th level, you also gain access to a single additional 1st level Pact Magic spell slot. You gain access to an additional 2nd level Pact Magic spell slot at 10th level, and an additional 3rd level Pact Magic spell slot at 14th level.​

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It seems like a very interesting start of a subclass, but needs more detail.

How many charges do the wands get? Are they subject to the usual rules about having a chance of fizzling if the last charge is expended?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It seems like a very interesting start of a subclass, but needs more detail.
It's complete? You have a feature at levels 1, 6, 10 and 14, and an expanded spell list.

How many charges do the wands get? Are they subject to the usual rules about having a chance of fizzling if the last charge is expended?
I don't understand?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It's complete? You have a feature at levels 1, 6, 10 and 14, and an expanded spell list.
The features are about the wands, though, and unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything about how the wands work. I admit I've never played a warlock, so maybe things that seem obvious to someone who has played one just aren't jumping out at me.

I don't understand?
Wands in the DMG typically have a set number of charges and regain a certain number each day. There is also very often a chance that the wand will break and become unusable when the last charge is expended, encouraging players not to use it all up in one day if possible. See these wands from the SRD, for example:

http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/magic-items/rods-staves-wands#TOC-Wand-of-Binding

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The features are about the wands, though, and unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything about how the wands work.
It's about a specific wand, that it gives you.
It can be used as a foci for any spell, only you can use it, and as you gain more Warlock levels it gives you more Pact Magic spell slots.
That's all it does.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It's about a specific wand, that it gives you.
It can be used as a foci for any spell, only you can use it, and as you gain more Warlock levels it gives you more Pact Magic spell slots.
That's all it does.
Ah, okay. Maybe just add a sentence saying that the wand does not have charges, then?

Satyrn

First Post
Also, the 1st level feature is super-weak. I could just but an arcane focus on the shape of a wand and get the same benefit.

Edit: no, it's worse than that. An arcane focus is already part of the warlock's default starting gear. All this feature grants me is that it only works for me. Is that ever gonna matter?

Last edited:

Remove ads