Ritualist [Wizard School]

Yunru

Banned
Banned
2 - Ritual Savant: Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy a ritual spell into your Spellbook is halved.
2 - Beginning at 2nd level, the time it takes for you to cast a spell as a ritual is halved.
6 - Formalcraft: Starting at 6th level, you can copy any ritual spell into your Spellbook if it is off a level you can cast. A spell copied this way can only be cast as a ritual unless you could cast it normally.
10 -
14 - Ritualistic: Starting at 14th level, you may cast any spell of 5th level or lower as a ritual.

What I'm looking for, other than feedback on balance and flavour obviously, is a suitable level 10 feature, as, as you may have noticed, I'm currently missing one.

snickersnax

Explorer
I've always been fond of the Arduin runeweaver. As I recall, they would take 10 times as long to cast a spell, but would gain 10 times the duration. Maybe some kind of extend spell metamagic like feature for level 10?

ruy343

Explorer
Some options that immediately came to mind (they're not meant to all apply at once, but you might consider using one of these in place of your "rituals now take only 5 minutes" thing, because I worry that it wouldn't make a meaningful difference to the players in-game, based on my experience):

-Casting rituals is no longer a strenuous activity for you - You may now cast rituals at will while you take a short of long rest.
-When you cast a ritual spell, you may choose to have the area that it effects double in size (all applicable dimensions), or double in duration; you may not choose both.
-When you cast a ritual spell that has a duration, you may choose to make its duration permanent. You may only have one permanent ritual from this ability active at a time, and that spell doesn't require concentration while made permanent. For example: you may have an Unseen Servant perpetually active, and cast Glyph of Warding as a ritual without affecting your Unseen Servant (because Glyph of Warding does not have a listed duration), but if you cast Detect Magic and wish to make its duration permanent, you must dispel your Unseen Servant. Note: divination rituals that involve a set number of questions or similar effects still end after such conditions are met, though you may take as long as you wish in asking them.
-The cost in gold or other material components needed to cast a ritual is halved for you.

Overall, after people give more feedback here and this becomes more refined, I'd like to add it to my "classes/sublasses that I allow at my table). I'm really curious what kinds of naughtiness I could get into as a result of being able to cast any spell as a ritual at level 14... free fly spell for my rogue to scout out the enemy? Freely cast Fabricate or Stone Shape? Ooooh... the possibilities!

Question: the 6th level ability to add spells to my spellbook of a level I can cast - can I choose such a spell when I level up? After all, other classes don't use spellbooks, so where would you find a written copy of Raise Dead for example?

Bishop_

First Post
Casting rituals is no longer a strenuous activity for you - You may now cast rituals at will while you take a short of long rest.

I think this is a good idea. Either for level 6 or 10.

Question: the 6th level ability to add spells to my spellbook of a level I can cast - can I choose such a spell when I level up? After all, other classes don't use spellbooks, so where would you find a written copy of Raise Dead for example?

And I think this is a good question.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'll return to the rest of the thread sometime tomorrow, but to address this point: the samw place as a player who takes Ritual Caster currently does.

In world, presumably someone's noted down how a ritual is performed. By it's very nature Rituals should be easily recordable.

If need be I'll expand it to allow you to add rituals you can cast that you've seen performed too.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

I think it's a great idea, but rather under-powered at level 2 and includes math.

*ponders*

How about....

Level 2: Master Ritualist - You can copy any ritual from any class into your spellbook, if the level of the ritual is equal to or less than the highest level Wizard spell you can cast normally. You can only cast spells gained in this way as rituals. You *can* choose such a spell as one of your two spells known upon gaining a Wizard level.

Level 6: Casual Ritualist - As long as you can reasonably perform the associated Verbal and Somatic components of a ritual, and have access to your spellbook as usual, you can cast it while doing other things. Concentrating upon or casting another spell, being forced to make a saving throw, or making a skill or ability test are always too distracting even for casual rituals.

Level 10: Inspired Ritualist - You can cast any ritual you know in a single action rather than the ritual casting time, using a spell slot of the appropriate level, without needing to prepare the ritual.

Level 14: Unshackled Ritualist - You no longer need a spellbook to cast any ritual you know.

Anyway,

Ken

Remove ads