D&D 5E The Final Announcement from The Descent Live Stream: Eberron Hardcover

The final announcement at the end of The Descent stream is a hardcover book for the Eberron setting!
No details have been announced, but Nathan Stewart closed out the live stream event for The Descent by proclaiming the final book out this year would be a hardcover setting book for Eberron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

lkj

Hero
They have been saying from the beginning that success with the Eberron PDF could lead to a hardcover. They have also said the hardcover would be complementary to the PDF with perhaps a little overlap. The whole idea being to avoid people feeling like they are buying the same thing twice. In other words, the hardback is an expansion to existing material.

So, while I sympathize with folks who wish they were doing something else rather than fleshing out Eberron, the argument that this is a snub or that they are trying to make your pay twice really seems misplaced.

AD

P.S. I'll try do dig up a citation tomorrow but my memory is pretty clear on this

Abstruse

Legend
There are a lot of people posting opinions about this topic.

I am not interested in their opinions.

I think this will be a good book.

I will buy this book.

- Dr. Bull
Good for you.

This is a comments section.

It is a place for people to express their opinions within the bounds of the rules of the site.

Regardless of my personal issues, I hope this book is successful and many people buy it.

People buying books means the companies have more money and can produce more books, one of which may be more to my personal tastes.

However, I also don't look down on people who have legitimate grievances with the business practices involved in creating said book.

I hope you don't either.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
The fan demand for Spelljammer and Planescape is enough for them to do it. We will see it within a few years.

The fan's have been demanding an updated Planescape since 3.0 first came out and it seemed really hopeful that with them doing this Descent Into Hell promotion which is linked to the Blood War that following that up with an actual Planescape setting book would have been a truly logical next step but Nope.

It's just Eberron. Again. Probably set in the same exact time period, with no change in timelines. Again. With the same story repeated. Again.

I would have rather another Magic setting book over Eberron since Planescape and Spelljammer are once again ... *sigh*

Disappointing.

lkj

Hero
They have been saying from the beginning that success with the Eberron PDF could lead to a hardcover. They have also said the hardcover would be complementary to the PDF with perhaps a little overlap. The whole idea being to avoid people feeling like they are buying the same thing twice. In other words, the hardback is an expansion to existing material.

So, while I sympathize with folks who wish they were doing something else rather than fleshing out Eberron, the argument that this is a snub or that they are trying to make your pay twice really seems misplaced.

AD

P.S. I'll try do dig up a citation tomorrow but my memory is pretty clear on this

Ah, citation was easier to find than I thought. Someone already compiled it:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/07/27/eberron-will-there-be-a-print-on-demand-option/

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
Good for you.

This is a comments section.

It is a place for people to express their opinions within the bounds of the rules of the site.

Regardless of my personal issues, I hope this book is successful and many people buy it.

People buying books means the companies have more money and can produce more books, one of which may be more to my personal tastes.

However, I also don't look down on people who have legitimate grievances with the business practices involved in creating said book.

I hope you don't either.

Nope. I don't.

But please don't misuse the term "legitimate grievance" as a term in this discussion. A legitimate grievance would be something like liability for "severe bodily injury," "malpractice," or "sexual harassment". This is an artistic difference of opinion.

"I enjoy playing in Eberron, Spelljammer, Planescape, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, and Dragonlance."
- That's my opinion... And it is ONLY my opinion. It's not factual.

a.everett1287

Explorer
Forgive me. I'm tired or maybe just dense, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

AD

A random number that was floated as the level of overlap between the two products.

Really, at this point, being overly enthusiastic or pessimistic about the product because you paid 20 bucks for a PDF one time is kind of nonsense, considering we have NO INFORMATION.

Your grievances aren't automatically legitimate because something might be true; if your grievances are based more on whether you like something or not, those are true, but they don't carry any more weight than me saying 'I like toast more than bagels, because bagels have a weird consistency, and I bought this donut that looked like a bagel.' I have a gripe with bagels, but I don't think that makes my gripe a 'legitimate grievance.'

Abstruse

Legend
Forgive me. I'm tired or maybe just dense, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

AD
Yeah, I'm curious too. Seems that Mearls is saying that people who bought Wayfarer's Guide would get full updates until they're out of "playtest" (which only affects you if you're playing Adventurer's League)...but that goes counter to the "New hardback, cough up another $50" announcement tonight. Which is the big problem with the announcement is that it gives NO details. Which is what causes speculation, particularly in a niche hobby like this, negative speculation.

I do not know what their PR department was thinking...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases