D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Wow.

I've seen D&D and ENWorld through 3.5 edition changes (->3e, ->3.5, ->4e, ->5e).

This is no bag on anyone in particular in this thread but...

Amazing how the arguments and dialogue are the same... only the actors change.

Go back to old issues of Dragon covering OD&D=>1E or 1E=>2E. Nothing has changed beyond the actors as you have mentioned.

Phaezen

First Post
Also: what biological property does hit points measure, which a harpy exemplifies to a greater degree than an ogre?

None, other than an abstract quality that measure how tough something is to kill based on a combination of physical bulk, toughness, willpower, experience and other.

pemerton

Legend
None, other than an abstract quality that measure how tough something is to kill based on a combination of physical bulk, toughness, willpower, experience and other.
Well sure, but that's the line I'm running! Ie hit points don't measure any biological property or quantity at all.

I've got nothing against people playing with hp as meat if they want to.

I've got nothing against people taking the view that, for them, every rules resolution procedure must correspond to an ingame causal process, and using this as a criterion for ingame consistency in their play.

But I do get a bit put out by someone who takes these views then saying that everyone else, who doesn't accept either premise in the way they play the game, therefore has an inconsistent gameworld. There is nothing inconsistent about my gameworld - it's just that I don't assume that the procedures used to play the game at the table actually correspond in any isomorphic way to ingame causal processes.

The point of the rules is to enable resolution of declared actions involving these beings, not to frame an alternative universe in which the same labels are used but the things themselves are radically different.
They aren't radically different. They're recognizably different. Beowulf was a great swimmer, and while someone like Michael Phelps might be a better one in real life, we know for a fact that the laws of physics are at least subtly different because there's no way you could get a huge giant (humanoid), or a gargantuan flier, if they were using our own laws of physics. So they tweak it, to better fit the fantasy stories we want to tell, and the logical extension of those tweaks is to encourage the fighter to go swimming while the rogue sits on the sideline.

Also: what biological property does hit points measure, which a harpy exemplifies to a greater degree than an ogre?
Hit Points are possibly the only mechanic which are hard to pin down satisfactorily, because they try to make it cover so many different aspects. It is explicitly the ability of a creature to not be incapacitated by attacks, but that's an aggregate of a number of different features like toughness, skill, determination, luck, divine favor, etc.

Which isn't to say that those factors couldn't be independently quantified. It's merely that, from our perspective, separating them out is more trouble than it's worth, so we don't have all of the information necessary to accurately reconstruct those factors. The game rules are only a pale imitation of the reality of the game world.

Kind of like how you might have three different components to your SAT score, but the first pass at the admissions office can get enough information out of just your total that it doesn't need to look at the components.

Last edited:

- it's just that I don't assume that the procedures used to play the game at the table actually correspond in any isomorphic way to ingame causal processes.
I believe that is actually the definition of "process sim", as detailed in these forums a couple of months ago. That's the kind of game I've always run D&D as, with little to no difficulty throughout the earlier editions (and making a hard break at 4E). It's the sort of thing that I require from any game I play, if I'm going to consider it worth my time.

pemerton

Legend
I believe that is actually the definition of "process sim", as detailed in these forums a couple of months ago.
The isomorphic requirement is a particularly strong version of process-sim. As I posted upthread, I don't think any of RM, RQ or Classic Traveller is committed to it. (For instance, RM permits multiple processes for concussion hit loss when struck by a weapon - read off an attack table, or read of a crit result, or (less commonly) read off a fumble result - but they are not different sorts of events in the gameworld.)

(Post not directed at permerton; just a general response.)

Example Hit Point Breakdown:

1st-level Human Fighter; 12 hp
  • 6 hp = physical trauma necessary to kill him
  • 6 hp = stance and dodging to reduce incoming damage

10th-level Human Fighter; 84 hp
  • 15 hp = physical trauma necessary to kill him (increased via physical conditioning)
  • 69 hp = stance and dodging to reduce incoming damage

Typical Encountered Ogre; 29 hp
  • 20 hp = physical trauma necessary to kill him
  • 9 hp = stance and dodging to reduce incoming damage

Typical Encountered Harpy; 31 hp
  • 11 hp = physical trauma necessary to kill her (includes superior biology granting greated tensile strength to muscles and ligaments)
  • 20 hp = stance and dodging to reduce incoming damage

Example Damage Taken From an Incoming Longsword Attack:

Longsword Attack vs. 1st-level Human Fighter; 8 hp slashing damage
  • 3 hp = physical trauma received
  • 3 hp = trauma avoided via stance and dodging

Longsword Attack vs. 10th-level Human Fighter; 8 hp slashing damage
  • 2 hp = physical trauma received
  • 6 hp = trauma avoided via stance and dodging

Longsword Attack vs. Typical Encountered Ogre; 8 hp slashing damage
  • 5 hp = physical trauma received
Longsword Attack vs. Typical Encountered Harpy; 8 hp slashing damage
  • 5 hp = trauma avoided via stance and dodging

One could also include separate factors for stamina or luck if so desired, without invalidating this sort of simulationist approach.

Interpretation of Official, Published Texts:

Simulationist Approach:
  • Not all hp of damage taken represent physical (or in rare cases, psychic) trauma, but:
  • A minimum component of any hit point loss is considered to actually be representative of the damage type (in the example, slashing damage)

Narrativist Approach:
  • Damage can represent a variety of different sources, any of which may be absent in an individual damage-taking instance, so:
  • Regardless of damage type, actual hit point loss need not be attributed to any particular damage type (in the example, the characters may have completely avoided taking any slashing injury)

It is extremely difficult to make a valid argument than any version of the rules dictated either of those approaches.

Everyone Agrees:

• Not all hit points lost to an attack necessarily represent physical trauma received
  • The amount of damage that can possibly be attributed to physical trauma varies by creature type of level (ie, a 10th-level fighter doesn't have more "meat" than a couple heavy warhorses)

The Rules Can Be Interpreted to Support
  • Hit points can be lost due to slashing damage, even though the attack completely fails to make contact or slash the target; or conversely that:
  • Hit points lost due to slashing damage must include actual physical contact resulting in slashing damage

If you (directed at no one in particular) disagree, feel free to hunt for evidence that contradicts my assertion that the rules books can support either view. I could be wrong. My research consulted 1e, 2e, 3e, and 4e, but wasn't entirely intensive.

Unless someone can clearly and unequivocally provide evidence to the contrary, it is purely a matter of choice, playstyle, and preference as to how it is interpreted. Personal interpretations tend to fall along simulationist vs. narrativist "camps."

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
You have it backwards. A harpy doesn't have 31 hit points because it's CR 4; a harpy is CR 4 because it has 31 hit points. The game stats (hit points, strength score, maneuverability, etc) all have explicit in-game meaning, and the meta-game stats like CR are only descriptive of.

Is it inconsistent for a harpy to have more hit points than an ogre? Not necessarily, because hit points have a lot of factors to them. It wouldn't even be inconsistent if harpies had higher strength than ogres, because chimps are stronger than humans in spite of being smaller - there are a lot of reasons for why something might be strong or weak, even though strength itself is fairly well defined.

It's just saying, that whatever this these stats mean - whatever the reality within the game world that is being reflected with these stats - they are consistent.

What you seem to be confusing for inconsistency is actually just verisimilitude. There are tons of things within the game world, even discounting the elves and dragons and whatnot, that don't follow the laws of reality. They don't follow the complicated laws of our reality, or the story logic from any particular novels. But they don't have to be. Adherence to outside sources is not a requirement for internal consistency.

Who said anything about CR? CR is a relative scale based on how hard it would be for four average PC's of a given level to defeat this monster. It's derived AFTER the creature is built, not before. ((Well, I suppose you could build to CR, but, that's another issue as well - certainly one I would think the simulationist crowd would have an issue with))

And it's got nothing to do with verisimilitude and everything to do with consistency. Bigger creatures have more HP. That's a given isn't it? So, why does a harpy have more HP than an ogre? Why does a halfling have the same HP as a human and gain HP (through levels) at exactly the same rate?

It's not about CR or the choice of how many HD a monster has. Those are purely gamist decisions to give DM's a palette of monsters to use based on the level of the PC's. After all, why is a troll between an ogre and a hill giant. There's no particular reason why a troll is that size. But, it's that size because you need a giant type creature between 4 and 8 HD.

So, my issue is entirely about consistency. There simply isn't any. If the rules for HP were consistent, you'd be able to tell me what those rules were. But, no one can. Not one single person can explain to me why a Harpy or a Medusa has more base HP than an ogre, despite being about 1/4 the size.

And it's got nothing to do with verisimilitude and everything to do with consistency. Bigger creatures have more HP. That's a given isn't it? So, why does a harpy have more HP than an ogre? Why does a halfling have the same HP as a human and gain HP (through levels) at exactly the same rate?
No, it is not a given that bigger creatures have more Hit Points, because Hit Points are a collective name for many different things which each contribute to making something less likely to fall.

All else being equal, sure, a bigger creature is going to have more Hit Points than a smaller one. All else being equal, a skilled combatant will have more Hit Points than a less-skilled one. If nothing is equal, and the bigger creature is less skilled, then we don't have enough information to say which will have more Hit Points.

It's not inconsistency. It's just a multi-variable equation.

pemerton

Legend
Longsword Attack vs. 1st-level Human Fighter; 8 hp slashing damage
That's a nice breakdown. Just a question about these longsword attacks - if the 1st level human fighter has 1 hp left, and is ht by a longsword for 8 hp, are you saying the breakdown wold be the same as if the character was at full (12 hp) and took the same hit?

The reason I ask is because it seems to me that a wound that knocks you unconscious (or, in 1st ed AD&D or earlier editions kills you, because dropping you to -6 in a single blow) is of necessity physically more traumatic than a wound that does not knock you unconscious or kill you.

Remove ads