D&D 5E Beadle & Grimm's Waterdeep: Dragon Heist - Platinum Edition

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The only thing I'm worried about at the moment is worst case, they crash and burn, by the time it's "planned" to be out in November will be past yam credit card charge back 90 day time frame. I'm maybe 5% worried so,etching like this happens so it's a slight nagging in the back of my mind.

The sectional book is a selling point to me. With no PDF, being able to keep relevant pages handy without having a full book on the table is nice. Heck, make the maps available as jpeg so I can display them on my tv that's laying flat on my table although I think physical battle maps are going to be included for keyed encounters.

Dausuul

Legend
So, according to them, they are five middle-aged D&D players with kids and jobs who decided to start a D&D company as their version of a mid-life crisis. That's in their own words.

At that point, I don't even care what the package is supposed to contain. I've worked at a start-up company. It is a lot of work. A lot of stuff goes wrong. And when it does, you have to deal with it, and if you're working till 3 in the morning as a result, that's just how it is. Customers who have shelled out $500 are not gonna be all laid-back and understanding when the product gets shipped to the wrong address, or the wrong items get put in the package, or a supplier doesn't come through and there's a two-week delay, or it gets lost in transit, or somebody screws up data entry and the order falls through the cracks and doesn't get shipped at all and you have no record of the transaction but a customer is showing you a $500 debit on their bank statement.

It is not a job for five guys with busy lives and regular jobs who are doing it on a lark. If they had experience with this kind of thing, maybe... but from what people are saying about their responses to contact requests, they are in way over their heads.

I'm sure they aren't intentionally scamming anybody. But if they take your $500 and don't deliver, it comes out the same.

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm sure they aren't intentionally scamming anybody. But if they take your $500 and don't deliver, it comes out the same.
At this point, I'd settle for some way to just give them my money. But here we are a month after their "launch", and their website still only permits order to US locations (despite claims on Facebook that this was fixed), and they still don't reply to any correspondence whatsoever. I should probably be happy that this situation is saving me $500, but I'm more annoyed that WotC issued a product licence to company so poorly run that they simply refuse to engage with their (probably quite limited) pool of customers.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm still contemplating this (depending on book sales). For me, it seems to be what I wished the 1e City System box was, with everything needed to run Waterdeep. While I already have a TON of miniatures, both prepainted and Reaper Bones, I'm sure there will be something I can use.

As far of maps of Waterdeep, Wizards has a map pack coming this fall, but I can't recall if it is at the time of Dragon Heist or Mad Mage. This product may be worth it. I'd like to trust in this company, though I may just print what I need from my Dragonlock. There has to be something else in it, maybe more of these?View attachment 98937

Woah, where's that from?

lkj

Hero
So they have a table at Gen Con, where they have apparently revealed everything in the box. Has anyone see it?

AD

lkj

Hero
So they have a table at Gen Con, where they have apparently revealed everything in the box. Has anyone see it?

AD

Well, I haven't been to Gen Con, lkj, but I did find this link that lists a lot of what's in the box (spoiler warning for the adventure, albeit mild spoilers):

https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/spoilers/

Also comes with a code to unlock the Dragon Heist content on D&D Beyond (prepare for host of complaints that that code should have been in the PHB when it was released, somehow).

Interestingly, they still don't reveal everything to avoid spoiling the adventure. I have to think this is a very severe marketing challenge for such an expensive item.

AD

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Ugh. What really frustrates me is that HASBRO should be releasing playsets to go along with the new APs. I don't need premium, I would be happy with a set of paper battlemats, minis, an AP-specific DM screen, and perhaps so fancy handouts.

Also, it seems that an enterprising game store could pull together a set from WoTC, WizKids, etc. and put together their own sets. But Hasbro should be able to do it at a scale that could make it more affordable. Also, they could include rules to a mini game so that they could sell the set for non-DnD play.

For 500 USD, Beadle and Grimm better be packing it with ***t-ton of pre-painted minis.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

AD

Video here:

https://twitter.com/BeadleAndGrimm/status/1025381400336363526

DjmKdKrUwAIcpmq.jpg

That looks underwhelming. But at that price, I think most of us were already predisposed towards a lack of whelming. Don't get me wrong, the stuff looks pretty cool. But if someone asked me "how much would it sell for?" I'd guess in the $200-$250 range.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
On the 30 July, I also finally got an answer to the mail I sent them on 2 June about international shipping. This will apparently be "out soon", although I'm really hoping that today's addition of "Canada" as one alternative option to "United States" doesn't mean it is going to take two months to add each additional country.

Remove ads