Sell me on Numenera

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In an attempt not to say anything I shouldn't:

http://www.numenera.com/game-play/ and http://www.numenera.com/character-creation/ gives a good gameplay summary.

I don't want to speak for him, but I think he was asking for peoples' opinions, not links to promotional material. :)

@Corrosive , I don't think you're going to get what you're after until after Monte Cook lets the NDA'd people talk about it. I guess a related question, then, is: does anybody know when that will be? It's gone to the printer and will be on sale very soon. Hey, @CharlesRyan , do you have any info on that?

CAFRedblade

Explorer
The best thing at the moment [MENTION=6747584]Corrosive[/MENTION] can do is listen to the podcasts on the Ninth World Hub. They give a general discussion on things from the Playtest without giving specifics. As mentioned by [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] it'll probably be the best until the NDA's are lifted with the release... I can say I really like character creation, and am looking foward to some further playing once I have time. I don't think that'll break anything.. :)

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I don't want to speak for him, but I think he was asking for peoples' opinions, not links to promotional material. :)
True. However, he asked what gameplay was like and I think those thinks explain it pretty well.

I'm not even the one to ask about how the rules work in practicality. I donated enough to get access to the rules but never was able to find a group of people to playtest it. So, I read them and I think they are interesting but I'm waiting for the release like everyone else so that I can actually see how they work at the table.

I guess a related question, then, is: does anybody know when that will be?
From my reading of the NDA, that date is when "the materials become publicly available" that they stop being confidential.

Unless Monte chooses to release us early, I'm fairly certain we can't say anything until the books go on sale.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I don't want to get fired...
Let me summarize what Monte has posted that I've seen for sure then(these are all copy and pasted or at least paraphrased from posts Monte has made in his blog):

The mechanics use a d20 roll to determine success for all types of actions. There aren't many modifiers, instead you use skills and other assets to lower the difficulty. You also use a limited resource called effort to choose when to focus on a specific task and lower its difficulty further.

On a 17 or 18, you get a Minor Effect. Basically, if this is a successful roll, you get to state something special that happens as a part of that action.

On a 19 or 20, you get a Major Effect. This is similar to the Minor Effect, but, you know, bigger in some way.

On a 1, a GM can use “GM Intrusion” without awarding any experience points for it. Basically, things just get more complicated.

The GM determines how hard the task will be, on a scale from 1 to 10. Each difficulty level (1-10) has a target number associated. It’s basically 3 times the level. That’s the number you need to roll on a d20 (or higher) to succeed. If you can reduce the difficulty of an action down to zero, no roll is needed at all.

This is how everything in the game works, whether its climbing a wall, sweet talking the guard, or fighting some bio-engineered horror. The players are always making the rolls, and the GM is moderating the task levels. So in combat, when the character attacks, the player rolls for the attack. When the NPC attacks the character, the player rolls for her character to dodge.

The focus of the game is on exploration and discovery. Which is what you get XP for in the game, not killing monsters. Also, the DM can intrude and make things more complicated by giving XP to the party. Also, the players can give each other XP.

XP can be spent for either short term benefits, modifying dice rolls, increasing character abilities, or going up levels.

Character creation is based on 3 features: class, descriptor, focus.

There are 3 classes: Glaives, Nanos, Jacks. Then you choose a descriptor such as clever, tough, strong-willed, or mystical. Third you choose a focus. These can vary from crafting illusions to becoming a master of a single weapon, from wielding magnetism to being a great leader.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
That "Intrusion" verbiage for the GM is interesting. How much should I be reading into that?
Quoted verbatim from Monte's Blog:

For the GM, experience points are a narrative tool. The GM can introduce complications into the game that affects a specific player whenever it seems appropriate, but when he does so, he offers that player 1 xp. The player can “refuse” it, but then it costs the player 1 xp.

Here’s how that might work in play. Say the PCs find a hidden console with some buttons. They learn the right order to press the buttons, and a section of the floor disappears (this happened in the second playtest session I wrote about). As GM, I don’t have the players specifically tell me where they’re standing. Instead, I give one player an XP and say, “unfortunately, you are standing directly over this new hole in the floor.” Now, if he wanted, the player could refuse the XP and spend one of his own, and then he would say, “I leap aside to safety.” Or, he could just make the defensive roll that the GM calls for and let it play out.

There's more. The link the the full article is: http://www.montecookgames.com/experience-points-and-the-numenera-gm/

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Download and listen to them at home? Gotta be a way to do that for you.
One of the podcasts actually has Monte on it being interviewed.
For [MENTION=6747584]Corrosive[/MENTION]

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I'm kind of interested in people's opinions of DM Intrusion, actually. It's one of the concepts in the rules that I feel the most torn about. On one hand, I think it will make the game more dynamic. On the other hand, I could see being on the other side of a DM who abused this rule being no fun at all.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Hey, Russ (and all)!

I really can't spill the beans ahead of anything Monte says. Buuuuuut. . . .

We just sent out a preview to retailers that gives them an exclusive look at a bit of the core rules. Again, I can't spoil something that someone else is supposed to be getting first, but if you asked your local retailer, they may give you a look. (The preview just went out yesterday, so it's possible not all retailers have it yet.)

It's not a huge preview, but it's one of a series with more coming out every couple of weeks. So you might touch base with your retailer on a regular basis.

(Just to be clear: The preview is a PDF document that is sent to retailers by their distributors. It's not a physical item, and we don't know or have control over which retailer receives it and when. (But if you talk to your retailer and they HAVEN'T seen this, tell them to contact us at info [at] montecookgames [dot] com.))

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases