D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

MagicSN

First Post
I've seen folks elsewhere automatically write of 5e because of this. Aside from being knee-jerk, if you are basing your entire D&D gaming experience (DMing or Playing) on an e-tools app, then you are doing it wrong.

I still do not like handwritten character sheets (if you'd know my handwriting you'd know why). I have been doing printed sheets for years now, why should I "step backwards" with the NEW system ?

Actually I do not like an e-app which requires me to be on the net while playing. I want an offline app where I can generate and print my character, that's all.

halfling rogue

Explorer
I still do not like handwritten character sheets (if you'd know my handwriting you'd know why). I have been doing printed sheets for years now, why should I "step backwards" with the NEW system ?

Actually I do not like an e-app which requires me to be on the net while playing. I want an offline app where I can generate and print my character, that's all.

I'm with you. I want something to do the math for me. But if WotC never releases an electronic version or an app or any such tool, are you unable to play D&D? That's more to my point. Folks who say they can't (or won't) play without electronic assistance have a flaw somewhere in their approach to D&D.

Gilwen

Explorer
It's my understanding that the iOS app was much further along (months) in development than the Android and Web versions and that it was the iOS app that was waiting on final approval (I don't recall from whom approval was waiting...apple, wotc, or both). Maybe more was bitten off than could be reasonable chewed with developing for three platforms concurrently with a small team and the final product was pushed out to far.

All that we really know from those two letters is:

1. Wizards "ended the relationship."
2. Trapdoor, and presumably Dungeonscape in some shape or form, will continue in some form or another ("there is a future").

What we don't know is why. If what [MENTION=1927]Thaumaturge[/MENTION] says is true, that Trapdoor was waiting on WotC's final approval to release the app, then it seems that the final product was more complete than it sounds based upon people's experience with the beta, and that it is likely--or at least possible--that WotC simply didn't like what they saw, or didn't want to be associated with it, or have a "better" option.

What I hope this means is that WotC finally nailed down their license and that it is rather open, so they'd essentially be saying to Trapdoor, "Nice product, but you'll have to do it yourself under our new license."

I sincerely hope that Trapdoor isn't completely left in the lurch, because I imagine that a lot of time and money was put into this project.

Nebulous

Legend
I've seen folks elsewhere automatically write off 5e because of this. Aside from being knee-jerk, if you are basing your entire D&D gaming experience (DMing or Playing) on an e-tools app, then you are doing it wrong.

Uh, yeah. 5e doesn't even NEED a tool app. Especially at this early, early stage of the game. It's not like there are hundreds of resources to draw data from and collate them.

Nebulous

Legend

Well yes, and fortunately there are free utilities out there where you can still do that. I just wanted my slick monster builder interface :(

Boarstorm

First Post
This is disappointing for sure. I suspected something might be wrong when they missed their weekly blog update last Thursday, but I had hoped it was just due to crunch.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's my understanding that the iOS app was much further along (months) in development than the Android and Web versions and that it was the iOS app that was waiting on final approval (I don't recall from whom approval was waiting...apple, wotc, or both). Maybe more was bitten off than could be reasonable chewed with developing for three platforms concurrently with a small team and the final product was pushed out to far.

That would be consistent with my experience - I had signed up to test the web version. They may have been prioritizing testers based on how far along they were in each stream.

It is possible that, among the reasons was WotC not liking the idea of having only one platform available.

Remove ads