Monte Cook On Fumble Mechanics

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 18.08.30.png

It can be a divisive issue. If you're like me, you've experimented with fumble mechanics of various kinds over the years. When I was 12, I remember one character accidentally shooting a fellow character in the back of the head and killing him. Monte Cook's thoughts on the matter are that "we don’t want to run games that “punish” players for rolling bad. A GM intrusion isn’t meant to be “punishment”—it’s meant to make things more interesting. But a fumble, for many people, just seems like a moment for everyone to laugh at them, and that’s not always fun."

If you look around, you'll find dozens of fumble house rules for most games. They clearly provide a draw to those who like to tinker with their games. But many games deliberately do not include any such rule.

You can read the rest of Monte's article here. What are your thoughts on fumble mechanics?

Imaro

Legend
Those seem to be the results of simply failing the check. When I think fumble, I think Wicket using the sling. Things get complicated on a failure and things get silly on a fumble, which is probably why I don't use fumbles anymore. I don't use critical success either, for similar reasons.

I've never seen fumbles as "silly".... they can be but IMO they just need to be a failure whose consequences are different from what the consequences of a normal failure in a particular game system would entail.

Celebrim

Legend
No. A major screw-up may directly increase the challenge for the players; but need not. (Eg if the screw-up takes the form of self-injury or injuring an ally the impact may be resource depletion rather than a direct increase in challenge.)

Err... so depleted resources don't increase the challenge... yeah, I think we are done now.

Celebrim

Legend
Those seem to be the results of simply failing the check.

I normally see the results of a failed check as 'nothing happens'. For example, when you make an attack roll to hit a target, if you fail then you do no damage. When you try to open a lock with a skill check, the lock remains locked. Sometimes there are consequences to 'nothing happens', such as failing to make a Hide check to evade a hunting monster - in which case the thing that doesn't happen is that you are not seen and so the ordinary result (you are seen) happens instead. But in general, failure refers to the case when things don't happen. If failure normally referred to the case where something happened, we wouldn't need a concept like "fail forward".

Additional complication is not normally the expectation of simple failure, at least if we are discussing most older 'traditional' game systems.

Things get complicated on a failure and things get silly on a fumble, which is probably why I don't use fumbles anymore.

I don't understand why a fumble should be silly. It sounds like you are speaking from experience, but making fumbles be silly is more a matter of choice than a necessity (unless the system outright encodes for silliness, which is a valid choice if that's what you are going for).

When I think fumble, I think Wicket using the sling.

But even more than I don't understand why a fumble should be silly, I don't understand why Wicket using the sling is in a different class of failure than R2D2 plugging his 'modem' into a power socket and frying himself, or Han Solo snapping a stick as he's sneaking up on Scout Trooper, or Han Solo's attempt to fast talk his way out of problems in the Death Star Detention center and failing so miserably he himself winces listening to himself and ultimately decides to just blast the microphone. They are all potentially comic moments revolving around a protagonist majorly screwing up. Whether you find them silly or not though is a bit subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Err... so depleted resources don't increase the challenge... yeah, I think we are done now.

In many cases, a depleted resource won't increase the challenge. Think of 4 10th level PCs taking on an orc guarding a pie. One PC fumbling and doing 10 or even 20 points of damage to another depletes resources but doesn't really affect the challenge of the encounter.

Celebrim

Legend
In many cases, a depleted resource won't increase the challenge. Think of 4 10th level PCs taking on an orc guarding a pie. One PC fumbling and doing 10 or even 20 points of damage to another depletes resources but doesn't really affect the challenge of the encounter.

Sure, but by the same token, if 4 10th level PC's take on a 1 HD orc guarding a pie, and one fumbles resulting in a second orc showing up to defend the pie, this additional complication doesn't really affect the challenge of the encounter either. This additional orc may well do far less depletion of resources than that 10 to 20 damage you site as not being an increase in the challenge.

I think it is futile to try to finely measure how much additional challenge is added by depletion of resources or any other added problem. That is going to be highly circumstantial and subject to a great deal of opinion. It's also going to be highly system dependent. In D&D pretty much all challenges can be measured by how much you expect them to deplete resources, and certainly in 3e for example, the rules formally equate the two concepts.

The point is that it is an added problem and it does increase the challenge. "Oh yeah, well it doesn't necessarily increase the challenge by much", doesn't strike me as particularly vital observation.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Celebrim, thanks for your response. I think we're both on the same page in terms of the concepts; we differ on what we want to see happen in a game. And that's perfectly cool, of course.

Here's where I'll carry the conversation forward, though: You've drawn a bold line between "things that happen because the character screws up" and "GM whims that are completely arbitrary and unconnected to established events."

If I'm shooting an arrow at an orc, it's certainly possible that the worst case scenario is just as I let fly a hitherto unseen hurtling red dragon swoops out of the clouds between me and the orc and blocks my shot.

I'd argue that there's a vast middle ground between your distinctions. In my experience in real life, no plan survives contact with the enemy, and while that's partially due to the enemy's unpredictable actions, and occaaaaasionally due to a screwup on the part of my team, it's usually some other factor in the situation.

I'll put my money where my mouth is: Based on your example, here are ten possible "on a 1" outcomes that are neither character incompetence nor "dragons out of the blue":

• Remember that rainstorm yesterday? Looks like your bowstring got wet--it's snapped.
  • (Speaking of rain) It starts to rain. Everything gets a little bit harder.
  • You hit the orc. Unfortunatly, the damage is superficial--but the orc stumbles into your friend, who's knocked to the ground.
  • It turns out the orc is an unusually keen tactician (for an orc). He stares at you briefly from across the battlefield, then barks orders to his comrades. They all get a small bonus to their attacks for the rest of the encounter.
  • As you planted your foot for the shot, it tangled in some roots. If you want to move, you'll lose a turn untangling.
  • (Speaking of undergrowth) Holy cats! This brush is filled with stinging nettles! No damage, but the pain is super-distracting for the rest of the encounter!
  • Shaken by the unexpected arrow shot, the orcs move to a defensive posture. They all gain a bonus to their defense for a few rounds.
  • Apparently surprised by your shot, the orc shouts out that he surrenders. Genuine, or a ruse?
  • Surprise! Turns out there were two more orcs, just waiting for the right moment to jump into the fight. Your stray arrow shot flushed them from their hiding spot.
  • The ground is really unstable here. The cliff edge begins to crumble. (Or the dungeon floor begins to cave into the level below, or whatever.)

That's just off the top of my head.

Sticking strictly to character incompetence to explain all the ways the challenge can escalate strikes me as limiting.

Celebrim

Legend
I'll put my money where my mouth is: Based on your example, here are ten possible "on a 1" outcomes that are neither character incompetence nor "dragons out of the blue":

Sure. Obviously, "dragons out of the blue" was meant as a humorous stand in for some actual likely complication to draw attention to what I thought the problem was.

[*]Remember that rainstorm yesterday? Looks like your bowstring got wet--it's snapped.

"Weapon breaks" is a pretty traditional fumble. Is failing to maintain your equipment properly something you completely divorce from PC competence. Tell a Marine drill sergeant about that theory.

[*](Speaking of rain) It starts to rain. Everything gets a little bit harder.

Well, unless you are fighting a fire elemental... and what exactly does "everything gets a little bit harder" mean? If you slip and fall in the mud, is that something that is completely divorced from PC incompetence?

[*]You hit the orc. Unfortunatly, the damage is superficial--but the orc stumbles into your friend, who's knocked to the ground.

Is that result something you completely divorce from PC incompetence? Do you think that in general, tables will separate attacking an orc, rolling 1, and knocking an orc into your ally sending him sprawling from other "funny" results that a player could be teased over? Also this particular complication is one that IMO, will likely create hard feelings in a way that rolling a 1 and tripping over your own feet or even rolling a 1 and accidently hitting an ally wouldn't, because the ultimate target of this failure didn't get a chance to 'save' versus the result. Again, if the goal is to protect the image player's have of their PC from the imputation of incompetence, this fails both for the player that rolled a one and for the player whose character is now sprawled on the ground.

As you planted your foot for the shot, it tangled in some roots. If you want to move, you'll lose a turn untangling.

Is this something you completely separate from PC incompetence? Wasn't the whole point of the article that we should be sheltering the player's image of their PC's competence so that failures didn't seem to be owed to a lack of competence on their part?

That's one category. The other category is the disassociated mechanics where something happens because of metagame but is not theoretically the result of player action. For example:

[*]It turns out the orc is an unusually keen tactician (for an orc). He stares at you briefly from across the battlefield, then barks orders to his comrades. They all get a small bonus to their attacks for the rest of the encounter.

Is that related to your action? If it isn't, would it have happened anyway, or did it only happen the orc was an unusually keen tactician because you tried to do something and failed. In that case, wouldn't a player be "punished" for trying to do something, something the original article said we didn't want to do?

Sticking strictly to character incompetence to explain all the ways the challenge can escalate strikes me as limiting.

And yet half your examples struck me as example of some degree of character incompetence in that a more competent character would have avoided the situation. The remainder strike me as example of disassociated mechanics, which I'm not sure are better for the game than accepting a small amount of 'your character isn't actually a Marty Stu/Mary Sue' and will occasionally screw up. And if we weren't willing to accept that in the first place, perhaps we would have been better off in a system without a fumble mechanic.

So while it might be somewhat limited, in that we have to forgo our lifelong wish to have players accidentally shoot passing dragons while aiming at orcs, I'm not sure it's actually a bad idea to keep the ideas associated even at the risk of occasional 'hurt feelings' (if that really is a serious risk at all, which in my experience, not so much).

sheadunne

Explorer
I normally see the results of a failed check as 'nothing happens'. For example, when you make an attack roll to hit a target, if you fail then you do no damage. When you try to open a lock with a skill check, the lock remains locked. Sometimes there are consequences to 'nothing happens', such as failing to make a Hide check to evade a hunting monster - in which case the thing that doesn't happen is that you are not seen and so the ordinary result (you are seen) happens instead. But in general, failure refers to the case when things don't happen. If failure normally referred to the case where something happened, we wouldn't need a concept like "fail forward".

Additional complication is not normally the expectation of simple failure, at least if we are discussing most older 'traditional' game systems.

Correct. I don't play those systems anymore though. In the games I play, success and failure are determined simultaneously. Failures complicate the scene while success make it easier.

I don't understand why a fumble should be silly. It sounds like you are speaking from experience, but making fumbles be silly is more a matter of choice than a necessity (unless the system outright encodes for silliness, which is a valid choice if that's what you are going for).

I find them silly in the same way that I find critical hits silly. They don't particularly add any drama to the scene, they just make light of the struggle.

[
But even more than I don't understand why a fumble should be silly, I don't understand why Wicket using the screen is in a different class of failure than R2D2 plugging his 'modem' into a power socket and frying himself, or Han Solo snapping a stick as he's sneaking up on Scout Trooper, or Han Solo's attempt to fast talk his way out of problems in the Death Star Detention center and failing so miserably he himself winces listening to himself and ultimately decides to just blast the microphone. They are all potentially comic moments revolving around a protagonist majorly screwing up. Whether you find them silly or not though is a bit subjective.

Wicket's sling scene is a fumble because it only effects him. It doesn't escalate the challenge. Han Solo's stick snap escalated the scene and made it more challenge for everyone, not just him. The same is true of R2D2. Same is true of Han Solo's talking problems. The "failure of the roll" made the scenes more complicated for everyone involved, not just the character who "rolled the dice." A fumble is a personal experience that only impacts that character directly. In my mind/experience that's silly.

Celebrim

Legend
Correct. I don't play those systems anymore though. In the games I play, success and failure are determined simultaneously. Failures complicate the scene while success make it easier.

Sure, but that's a new and different definition of both 'success' and 'failure' that you have just introduced. When I was defining success, I defined it as 'doing what you wanted to do'. Whether or not your intended action would ultimately make things more or less easy isn't related to whether or not you succeeded in your action. I'm pretty sure I can sustain that from examples from last night's play:

1) The party was in a fairly narrow canyon. Ahead they saw a spring with a herd of herbivorous dinosaurs grazing and drinking water. The party decided it would be easier to ferry the party over the herd using their one flying mount than to back track and try to find away around. This plan was implemented successfully, but it made the situation worse because the low flying predatory mount ended up panicing the herd back toward where the party was hiding. Also the flying mount scared off two small ambush predators (wood drakes) that had been hiding on the cliff top waiting suitable prey. No disasters occurred as the party had been wary and everything worked out in the long run, but the successful plan didn't make the scene immediately easier.

2) The party found a hut suspended in midair high above the canyon floor. They found themselves in a missile duel with the huts bow wielding inhabitants as part of a long running feud. The party hunter began climbing up a stone spire from which the hut was suspended in order to gain a vantage point where the parties enemies wouldn't have partial cover, and possible to gain access to the hut itself. While he was implementing this plan successfully, two other party members decided to implement a plan where they would bring the whole hut down by turning part of the stone spire into mud. They ultimately implemented this plan successfully, but now the hunter's successful plan of being on the spire was complicating the scene, leading to some hijinks while he tried to get back down the stone spire and avoid getting buried in the literally hundreds of cubic feet of mud that was sloughing off the spire.

So by "success" I only mean that the players proposal succeeded. Players may propose plans that get themselves into trouble, and even though their intention succeeds it won't necessarily make the scene easier. Likewise, there are times when failures to implement a plan actually work out better in the long run. As a DM and not a real god, I have no way of knowing exactly how the game is going to play out in the future, and thus don't trust myself to always accurate predict what things are going to make the scene come out more or less favorably. For example, bringing the hut down was a very clever plan, but because it was destructive it made finding treasure harder, leaving the PC's with less loot than they might have otherwise obtained. The very successful plan therefore in some sense complicated the scene.

I find them silly in the same way that I find critical hits silly. They don't particularly add any drama to the scene, they just make light of the struggle.

I agree that this is sometimes true. But during a fight with a tyrannosaur last night, that same hunter got a timely critical hit that might have saved the life of the party's sorcerer who at the time was about to be swallowed. The player certainly enjoyed and was satisfied by that conclusion. And while fumbles in my game rarely add to the drama directly, they do help create a visual mental record of the drama. The same to some extent is true of criticals, because they stand out in the mind's of the participants.

Wicket's sling scene is a fumble because it only effects him. It doesn't escalate the challenge. Han Solo's stick snap escalated the scene and made it more challenge for everyone, not just him. The same is true of R2D2. Same is true of Han Solo's talking problems. The "failure of the roll" made the scenes more complicated for everyone involved, not just the character who "rolled the dice." A fumble is a personal experience that only impacts that character directly. In my mind/experience that's silly.

I'm not sure you can draw such a bright line in practice between what effects only you and what escalates the challenge. For example, if the party had tried to flee the tyrannosaurus, it's possible that an ally would have stumbled and fell. This was a personal failure, but if the rest of the party valued the ally enough to want to rescue him, the personal failure leads to a scene complication. And that sort of thing happens all the time in my game even though my game only has the concept of "fumbles as personal experiences that only impact the character directly" and no concept of making the scene more complex, with players that are the focus of unfriendly attention requiring the party to take steps to keep them alive as much as defeat their enemy and thus making the scene more complex and requiring special actions that wouldn't otherwise be undertaken, like bullrushing undead away from fallen allies to prevent the undead from making coup de grace attacks.

The fact that my game only has the concept of what you call a fumble, and no mechanical implementation of what you call a failure, and yet frequently has fumbles escalate the challenge on the party as a whole suggests to me that your definition is flawed.

pemerton

Legend
Err... so depleted resources don't increase the challenge
This was answered by [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION]. Your retort was that you can think of "GM intrusions" that don't increase the challenge either. To which my retort is, those don't sound like very good "GM intrusions".

As well as what [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION] said - which was a relatively extreme case of a high level character facing a single orc - there is a more typical way in which resource depletion doesn't increase the challenge. Unless the PCs are expected to exhaust the bulk of their resources in each challenge/situation, then depleting resources needn't increase the degree of present challenge. Rather, it makes future challenges potentially more difficult.

I normally see the results of a failed check as 'nothing happens'.
This isn't typical in classic D&D:

*A failed reaction check in classic D&D may leave the NPCs/monsters hostile.

*A failed climbing check often results in falling.

*A failed pick pockets check has a reasonable chance of being detected by the NPC whose pocket was to be picked.

*A failed check to open a lock means the lock can't be tried again until the next level is gained.

*A failed check to move silently means that the character is heard.

*Three failed hearing checks in a row require a 5 minute rest before another attempt can be made.

*A failed check to read a scroll can result in a mis-cast.​

There are probably other examples, too, that I'm forgetting.

Remove ads

Remove ads