D&D 5E So Now We Are Paying for Early Access?

oreofox

Explorer
Maybe! It was an honest question on my part. I haven't bought the PDF and haven't had time to read UA yet.

July's UA is a reprint of the races from the Wayfarer's Guide. So, you can get that for free if that's all you would want from this. Most of the Wayfarer's Guide seems to be stuff about Sharn and the world (there's about 176 pages worth of information in the Guide).

D&D has a history of reprinting things within the same edition. They've done it in 5th (Xanathar's, Mordenkainen's, and I think Volo's all had stuff reprinted from previous books, mostly the adventures). I don't know about 4th edition, but 3rd had tons of reprints (such as about 5 different entries for Thri-kreen at least), there were a number in 2nd edition as well. There's a good chance a few things will be reprinted from this pdf.

And like I said earlier, I have no problem purchasing this. If it helps more Eberron and other settings get things made for them, then it will be well worth it.

Zardnaar

Legend
The fact they are putting the mechanics up for free alleviates a lot of my concerns. $20 is no problem for me but I don't like the idea of putting up playtest material behind a paywall.

LizardWizard00

Explorer
Maybe! It was an honest question on my part. I haven't bought the PDF and haven't had time to read UA yet.[/Schmoe]

My understanding is the unfinished bits will be released for free in UA and the PDF willl be update when they are finalized. Anyone who bought the PDF is auto notified and can download the updated PDF for free.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm just upset that I went and spent $20, and THEN found out that all the race stuff was ALSO available for free on Unearthed Arcana this month, and it's not AL legal, and despite being published in a first party book is apparently still "Playtest material".

Mrgrgrgrgr

Maybe some people should actually do a little research before just randomly buying something. Caveat Emptor and all that.

I'm mostly annoyed that this has set a precedent for "Even first party paid content on our PDF content stream isn't AL legal".
Yet.

It's not like any of the other Unearthed Arcana content is AL legal. After it gets tested and they get some feedback it's very likely the races will be added.

I'm just upset that I went and spent $20, and THEN found out that all the race stuff was ALSO available for free on Unearthed Arcana this month, and it's not AL legal, and despite being published in a first party book is apparently still "Playtest material".
Contact support: https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Ask for a refund. They likely won't be able to give you your money back, but they should be able to credit your account for the $20 and you can buy some product you do want, such as some AL modules.

Zardnaar

Legend
So everyone has bought it recommends it? Are warforged the old UA ones, Bakers version or a 3rd version?

And Dragonmarks are archetypes?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So everyone has bought it recommends it? Are warforged the old UA ones, Bakers version or a 3rd version?

And Dragonmarks are archetypes?
Dragonmarks replace you subrace or alter the base race in regard to humans, half-elves, and half-orcs.

To check out just the races you can download the last UA which has them.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

The way I see it, it's only "Paying for alpha" if you actually go pay for it (e.g., put money down at the store and take the book home). Feel like it's a rip off? Don't. Buy. It.

There's a reason there is the saying "Patience is a virtue". Just wait until it's "finalized". It's not going to kill you.*

*Unless you can't put your phone away and not look at it for 24 hours without getting the cold sweats and heart palpitations....then, well, yeah...it might kill you. ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads