Ooze 6
Undead 13

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Aberration 14
Beast 10
Celestial 15
Construct 14
Dragon 32 - Can we not, with this, again, please?
Elemental 20
Fey 21
Fiend 15
Giant 20
Monstrosity 26 - Fun enough in their own right, and seem the likeliest bet to avoid the above catastrophe
Ooze 6
Undead 13

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Can we not, with this, again, please?
Well it is the single most important monster in the single most important fantasy RPG of all time. I'm surprised anyone downvoted it at all. :D

But then again, someone keeps upvoting Fiends for some reason so I'm kind of at a loss.

Last edited:

Yardiff

Adventurer
Aberration 14
Beast 10
Celestial 15
Construct 14
Dragon 32
Elemental 20
Fey 21
Fiend 15-2=13
Giant 20+1=21
Monstrosity 26
Ooze 6
Undead 13

OB1

Jedi Master
Aberration 14
Beast 10
Celestial 15
Construct 14
Dragon 32
Elemental 20
Fey 21+1=22
Fiend 13
Giant 21
Monstrosity 26
Ooze 6-2=4
Undead 13

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Well it is the single most important monster in the single most important fantasy RPG of all time. I'm surprised anyone downvoted it at all. :D

My problems with Dragons are, much like Tiamat, five-headed:
* They're played out
* What are they even going to do with all that treasure, anyway?
* They're the ultimate "palette swap" monster ("but this one has ice breath!")
* They don't practice informed consent
* What D&D party ever even reaches high enough level to properly fight one?

But then again, someone keeps upvoting Fiends for some reason so I'm kind of at a loss.

I mean, I think we can all agree that these are the real monsters, but they're largely ineffectual so <shrug>

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
[MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION]: My head cannon says that dragons hoard treasure because they serve a draconic god of wealth, and that with enough treasure they can buy immortality. I wouldn't say that they are "played out," but more often than not I think they are played badly. And I think that the pallete swapping is a feature, not a bug...once I created a dragon that breathed swarms of beetles instead of fire.

You're right about the informed consent, though. And they are even more racist than elves and more xenophobic than beholders. So they aren't perfect. But that makes them all the more fun to slay! :D

Grognerd

Explorer
* What are they even going to do with all that treasure, anyway?
* They're the ultimate "palette swap" monster ("but this one has ice breath!")

A bit off topic, but I remember one of these games (not D&D) actually accounted for the treasure piles in their lore, since the dragons slept on valuable metal since it tends to be softer metal, but wouldn't catch on fire while the dragon slept if the dragon snored out some fire. A little lame, but also a little clever!

Regarding the Palette Swap aspects, I really liked the way that they handled dragons in the Iron Kingdoms when the Monsternomicon was released for 3e. Definitely made dragons scarier than the usual D&D approach!

Tallifer

Hero
Aberration 14
Beast 10
Celestial 15
Construct 14
Dragon 32
Elemental 20
Fey 20
Fiend 13
Giant 21
Monstrosity 27
Ooze 4
Undead 13

While sailing the Astral Sea with some Githzerai pilgrims, our Gladiator-Fighter tamed a Hammerheaded Albatross but had to part tearful ways when we entered the narrow passages beneath the caverns of the Cookie Gnomes and the Mushroom Men.

Hammerheaded Albatross.jpg

Remove ads