Another Look at the D&D Essentials Kit

Here's a closer look at the upcoming D&D Essentials Kit.

519DX_EssentialsKit_ProductImgFullv1.png

D&D Essentials Kit (September 3rd; June 24th in the US)
Boxed Set

Everything you need to create characters and play the new adventures in this introduction to the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Dungeons & Dragons is a cooperative storytelling game that harnesses your imagination and invites you to explore a fantastic world of adventure, where heroes battle monsters, find treasures, and overcome quests. The D&D Essentials Kitis a new introductory product meant to bring D&D to audiences interested in jumping into a fantasy story.

This box contains the essentials you need to run a D&D game with one Dungeon Master and one to five adventurers. A newly designed rulebook on-boards players by teaching them how to make characters, and the included adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak, introduces a new 1-on-1 rules variant.

ddaley

Explorer
it probably doesn't help that Lost Mine of Phandelver has run its course after 5 years. almost every D&D night/intro to D&D DM will use it, and it also doesn't help most popular actual play groups have used it as well.

If you backed Odyssey of the Dragonlords, or followed the comments, you would have noticed that that kickstarter is getting people to play D&D who have never played before. I recommended LMoP to them as a way to learn how to play and DM while waiting for that kickstarter to fulfill. So, I wouldn't say that it has completely run its course yet.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I always roll in the open, but I love a useful D&D screen for quick references.

Anyway, I lent my copy of the 5e starter set to a friend years ago ans since it remains in his possession I think I'll pick this up for sure.

ddaley

Explorer
I always roll in the open, but I love a useful D&D screen for quick references.

Anyway, I lent my copy of the 5e starter set to a friend years ago ans since it remains in his possession I think I'll pick this up for sure.

I'll likely pick up this starter set primarily for the adventure. I love low level adventures. I have been playing D&D since the early 80s and don't think I have ever played a character beyond 7th level.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
If you backed Odyssey of the Dragonlords, or followed the comments, you would have noticed that that kickstarter is getting people to play D&D who have never played before. I recommended LMoP to them as a way to learn how to play and DM while waiting for that kickstarter to fulfill. So, I wouldn't say that it has completely run its course yet.

....what? I've never heard of this kickstarter before, and I'm sure there are countless other starting modules that people have written, it doesn't change the fact that Lost Mine of Phandelver is not only popular, but also an official WotC product packaged in every copy of the product designed to teach people how to play D&D (which once upon a time was the only starting module people could buy for 5e).

Mercurius

Legend
So let me get this straight: the Essentials Kit is basically an updated/improved version of the Starter Set and an expansion of it at the same time? Seems like a win-win. Five years is a lot of time to learn how to improve the starter set; seems like a good time to come out with something new. And I haven't looked at in awhile, but didn't the Starter Set only have pre-gens?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I'll likely pick up this starter set primarily for the adventure. I love low level adventures. I have been playing D&D since the early 80s and don't think I have ever played a character beyond 7th level.

I've only been playing for 5 years, but I did just get a character to level 6 for the first time. So That seems to jive with my experience.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This is so close to what I've been hoping they put out for a starter set. They finally have the proper number of dice and the treasure and condition cards are nice to have. I roll in the open, but the D&D screen is a helpful aid for new DMs (this is a more flimsy cardstock version, but it still serves its purpose and keeps the price reasonable).

Only thing missing is battlemaps and minis. They could just use token/pog style minis (1" diameter cardboard disks) and paper mats.

Still, I'm glad to see this and will probably buy it in the hopes my younger son will use it.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases