• warlord

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • warlock

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • wizard

Votes: 95 94.1%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Every class is redundant. My proposal is to create a single class called "Adventurer" and then create a point buy system designed to allow anyone to build up any of the existing classes via point allocations...

[Sounds of individual getting pummeled by 4th edition Champions and Fantasy Hero rulebooks]

I'm sorry - what were we talking about?
Ask and ye shall receive.

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7MxaZV26WwHwzaP-eD

Stormonu

Legend
I voted for the big four - fighter, cleric, Rogue and sorcerer (I think the sorcerer is the better option over wizard). Most of the others can be replicated via multiclassing or paths, with the exception of the monk and the warlock - so they’re my extra two choices.

And while monk has oriental connotations, I feel it’s still a good class for the game; it’s just pugilistic mystic doesn’t quite roll off the tongue...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Somehow Fighter has ended up with more votes (69) than voters (64).

In addition to the core four, I added Druid, Bard, and Paladin. But since that's 7, I didn't vote for fighter.

Dausuul

Legend
Interesting results so far, and turns some assumptions upside down. Barbarian has been there since 3e, but the warlord, artificer, and mystic are much higher. It would feel weird for me to be in a room with designers and saying that we'll omit the barbarian class for one of the other three because it feels....wrong somehow. But clearly the fanbase favors different things that "tradition".
The barbarian has absolutely no reason to exist other than tradition. It would be trivial to make it a fighter subclass. If it had not been a stand-alone class in previous editions, no one would ever have suggested making it one in 5E. Ditto paladins, rangers, sorcerers, druids, and bards.

Fighter, Warlord, Rogue, Mystic, Warlock, Wizard.
Wizard is magic driven by knowledge and esoteric techniques. Subsumes artificer and bard.
Warlock is magic provided and controlled by pacts with supernatural entities. Subsumes clerics and shaman types.
Mystic is internal, often psychic magic. Subsumes monk and sorcerer.

Fighter subsumes barbarian.
Rogue subsumes ranger.
Warlord subsumes paladin.
I originally had cleric in place of warlord, but you have convinced me to change my vote.

However, I would say the bard and the warlord should merge into a "herald" class, whose core is a "lazylord" design that focuses entirely on being the party face and on inspiring other PCs. That would give it a distinct identity not covered by any other class. The 4E warlord design is too close to fighter; it should be a herald subclass, not the core class. Likewise, the bard would be a herald subclass with partial spellcasting, eldritch knight-style.

As for paladin, the herald might slice off a few bits like the aura, but the rest should become a fighter subclass.

Shiroiken

Legend
Thematically, almost every class are variations on the Core 4. Barbarian, Monk, and Warlord are all types of Fighters. Druids are Nature Clerics. Sorcerers and Warlocks are variants on the Wizard (the original magic user). Bards, Paladins, and Rangers are variants of Rogue/Wizard, Fighter/Cleric, and Fighter/Rogue/Cleric. Pretty much only the Artificer and Mystic are actual new themes, and even those are tenuous (not to mention neither is really appropriate for all campaign worlds).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases