Pathfinder 1E So far not impressed with Pathfinder

ggeilman

First Post
Well in the "it could be worse territory" I used to run a small design company and have either designed or had a hand in designing nearly a dozen products over the years, mostly 3.x. The company went defunct when the publisher decided to go in house only and only publish under their own old 30+ year old universal format. Most of my designers won't touch 3.x yet pathfinder and stick with 1E style gaming. I have tried to at least be progressive enough to try and learn the new systems. About a year ago in order to attract more players our group decided to start the switch to pathfinder. In some ways that recruitment has been almost too successful as been noted about the number of players. It has been a bumpy road, but we will figure it out as we always have. If it means splitting into more games we have the dms and the resources to do so. I have so far tried to be nice and accommodate whomever came to the table. My limit has been 13 and have run some successful sessions with that many even with pathfinder and found ways to keep everyone involved. As I said I have cut that to 8 and if need be we will cut it to 6. I have decided to cut back to Core classes only for awhile so we can better learn the system. And I have been having fun with it. Something I haven't had for quite a few years so that is not an issue. The table issue has just crept up the last few weeks and the game has been running fairly smoothly since August. It is largely an issue between one new player and most of the older players on gaming style issues.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The table issue has just crept up the last few weeks and the game has been running fairly smoothly since August. It is largely an issue between one new player and most of the older players on gaming style issues.

It would be nice to find a GM who meshes with the new player's style a bit more. Then you could form a table around it. I know it's for the good of the game played at the table, but it is sad when you have to turn someone away for game style issues.

sheadunne

Explorer
Seems more like the end years of 3.5 with ever increasing complexity in options and power. Pathfinder picked up the mantle of 3.5 in more ways than one. ;)

Although the release schedule is much slower than the 3x schedule, it's bound to happen, as with any game that releases expansions.

ggeilman

First Post
Seems more like the end years of 3.5 with ever increasing complexity in options and power. Pathfinder picked up the mantle of 3.5 in more ways than one. ;)

That is my concern with the system. It is also why in 3.5 we cut off the expansions when Players Handbook II came out. From that point on it became a different game IMHO. Pathfinder seems to be an extension of the end of 3.5 rather than its core. From there on we got the march towards 4E which was a total failure.

D'karr

Adventurer
From there on we got the march towards 4E which was a total failure.

Jeesh, this again? Thanks, but can we even concentrate on PATHFINDER in a PATHFINDER thread without the same stupid commentary about 4e.

In 4e an expansion book at the end of the publishing cycle was as viable as options in the PHB. 4e has been the first and only RPG in which I've been able to allow all options from any book, with hardly any issues. It's not perfect, but damn it truly eliminated a great amount of the power creep issues.

PATHFINDER has it's problems, like most games. 4e is not perfect either, but can you please concentrate on looking at the PATHFINDER issues on a thread for PATHFINDER?

Dragonblade

Adventurer
From there on we got the march towards 4E which was a total failure.

Personally, I have found 4e to be mechanically robust, engaging, and fun. Its also the only edition of D&D I have ever played where I feel comfortable allowing all material from all books and have never had a single balance problem. I'm having more fun running my 4e game then I have had in years of DMing.

Pathfinder is solid too. I have two ongoing Paizo subs and play both games. In fact my 4e game is a Pathfinder AP converted over. Pathfinder offers a different gameplay experience and sometimes I prefer it over 4e. Nothing wrong with that. Its ok prefer one over the other, but lets not forget that they both have something fun to offer depending on one's preferences.

Remove ads