D&D 5E My sister wants to be a Halfling Barbarian (Starter Set)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I’m not sure why providing advice based on providing internal logic in a fantasy world along with a rational, is any less appropriate than advising someone to rearrange their stats for tactical/strategic reasons…..but whatever, dude…enjoy your game!

Because it is your internal logic, not the internal logic of the game system, or of many experienced DMs. Although well intentioned, your advice is too specific for a given DMing style, a style that most games do not use.

Don't worry everyone, all advice is appreciated :)

[MENTION=27252]TrippyHippy[/MENTION]

I agree that if the average (Human) Commoner only has 10 on all stats then having a halfling only half their size be much stronger than them can seem a bit off.

I'm trying to find a good balance between realism and fun.
If my sister thinks it's fun to make a little raging guy full of muscles to be kicking the butt of things twice as big as her then I'm going to let her.

But believe me, it's not what I had in mind either :D

I'm just rolling with it, I've learned alot about being a new DM (from this board and others) and one of the most important things was always try to say Yes (even though it might be followed by a but ...)

Like in this case I told her that she couldn’t use Heavy weapons because of her size, which she didn’t care that much about.
All good. Enjoy your game. :)

Because it is your internal logic, not the internal logic of the game system, or of many experienced DMs. Although well intentioned, your advice is too specific for a given DMing style, a style that most games do not use.
It’s not my internal logic…by definition, it’s the internal logic of the game world….sheesh! The original poster is cool with the advise; I’m cool with his response. Just let it be!

Wepwawet

Explorer
How about finesse weapons?

I don't know much about the barbarian, but he can use finesse weapons, can't he? That way the halfling can pump up Dexterity and forget about Strength.

Halflings are known to be be very agile, her character could be a Battledancer, or a Raging Whirling Dervish (not sure about the names, but I'm certain there is a fantasy archetype like that)

Paraxis

Explorer
How about finesse weapons?

I don't know much about the barbarian, but he can use finesse weapons, can't he? That way the halfling can pump up Dexterity and forget about Strength.

Halflings are known to be be very agile, her character could be a Battledancer, or a Raging Whirling Dervish (not sure about the names, but I'm certain there is a fantasy archetype like that)

If a barbarian uses Dex to attack with while during rage, they don't get to add the rage damage bonus. So you are sacrificing a key component of the class if you use finesse weapons.

Dausuul

Legend
Also, I would change the default array and instead buy some stats with point buy. It would be much better to go for a 16 Strength, just to get into the +5 to hit range. You could afford to lose a point in Dexterity or Constitution without much in the way of a drawback, or possibly both.
Point buy doesn't let you buy up higher than 15. You can of course go beyond that with racial mods, but halflings don't get +Str. The starting Strength mod for a halfling can't exceed 2 unless you roll stats.

That said, I do agree that point buy is the way to go here. I'd probably go with base stats of Str 14/Dex 14/Con 15/Int 8/Wis 12/Cha 8. Halfling mods boost that to Str 14/Dex 16/Con 16/Int 8/Wis 12/Cha 8, for a very solid AC 16 at level 1 (18 with a shield). Then pump Strength every time she gets a stat boost.

As an alternative, you could go Str 15/Dex 15/Con 15/Int 8/Wis 8/Cha 8. That leads to Str 15/Dex 17/Con 16/Int 8/Wis 8/Cha 8 with halfling mods; split the first stat boost between Str and Dex. Just be sure to go Path of the Berserker with this one, or every two-bit enchanter will have her attacking her own teammates.

Astrosicebear

First Post
I do however, find it a bit incredulous to have 35lb Halflings with a Strength of 15. There is no official ruling for this but I find it so defying of physical reality that it is disruptive to my suspension of disbelief at the game table.

I house rule that diminutive races (Halflings and Gnomes) should basically use their lowest stat for Strength. It’s my one and only house rule. Some may find this unfair, but why play a small race if you want to play a powerhouse character I say?

Your argument is invalid.

talented-kids-youngest-bodybuilder.jpg

drjones

Explorer
In a world where people can start huge raging fires by mumbling and twiddling their fingers and completely novel sentient races walk the planet I see no reason that said novel creatures musculature needs to work like real world humans.

But Capn is right, the time to start houseruling stuff and saying 'NO!!!!!' to player ideas is not your first game ever. Learn how the game works and how you and your players like to play before tinkering. And even then, try to find ways to say Yes rather than excuses to justify a No.

sgtscott658

First Post
If you you think of your game as an anime / manga type of world, then you should have no worries about real world limitations.

Scott

Using the default array, you could go 16 CON and 14 STR and 15 DEX easily. (Swapping CON and STR (14 and 15)
Which is a very solid 15 AC without armor. And a lot of HP.

Didn´t think about that switch around.

But still, this is a minor optimization. 15 STR alllows for taking a feat which gives +1 Str and something extra. The game is deadly at low levels, rewarding careful playing and only going into battle with major advantages, so +1 hp and 1 AC may spell the difference between life and death, but usually it won´t.
At level 2-3, it does not matter anymore, since she should be able to afford chain or better. And HP are high enough so it usually does not matter. At level 4, the ability boost will equal all out.
[MENTION=27252]TrippyHippy[/MENTION]:
15 STR is not all that much. If you don´t like it, ok. But don´t tell anyone that it is badwrongfun. And forcing anyone to use their lowest stat on str seems really unfun. Creatures that are smaller are relatively stronger and more robust. They can swing a hammer quite fine. Just give a hammer to a random child and ask it to hit you on the head with it as hard as they can.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases