Watch Chris Perkins' First Episode of DICE, CAMERA, ACTION

WotC has just launched an official Dungeons & Dragons web show called Dice, Camera, Action. It stars Chris Perkins running a game for Holly Conrad, Jared Knabenbauer, Anna Prosser Robinson, and Nathan Sharp. They are playing Curse of Strahd, so only watch it if you don't mind major spoilers. The video is nearly two-hours long. Enjoy!

WotC has just launched an official Dungeons & Dragons web show called Dice, Camera, Action. It stars Chris Perkins running a game for Holly Conrad, Jared Knabenbauer, Anna Prosser Robinson, and Nathan Sharp. They are playing Curse of Strahd, so only watch it if you don't mind major spoilers. The video is nearly two-hours long. Enjoy!
[video=youtube;a1ZbgywIF6Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZbgywIF6Y[/video]​

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Enjoyed it. Great interplay between the characters, for a livestream/online game. Only critiques: too short, should be at least 4 hours; needs better sound quality, there were times when I had to keep adjusting the volume.

Rhenny

Adventurer
It is great to see this excellent example of story and roleplaying with just a smattering of die rolling that doesn't get in the way. It will be exciting to see things develop and the action heat up.

Chris Perkins always inspires and entertains. Cheers to him and the players.

It is interesting how most of the PCs are human. I think that will make it more creepy when they actually explore and need light to see.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't see the need to have video at all. There isn't much need to see 5 faces despite the drawings of a sun god pooting.

Really? The facial expressions make it a much better experience. I've listened to podcasts of folks playing DnD and other than Acquisitions Incorporated, I can never stay interested more than a few minutes. Even with AI, I much prefer their PAX videos. I do agree that the cartoons got old fast and detracted from the atmosphere Cris Perkins was trying to build, but I loved Holly's roleplaying so much that I forgive her.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
The sound was perfectly fine at the start. Then it just seemed to suddenly cut too low.

In the end I had to save the video locally and use my sound software to boost the sound before I could really view it.

The 2 lady gamers were there best gamers there.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I enjoyed watching that. They do need to work on their sound quality. I think they have some good mics, but maybe it's bandwidth issue.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

There were issues in the beginning, but for most of the show I found the sound quality to be good.

Tiles

Explorer
I don't know why, but watching it "live" as it was happening helped the experience. Chris P is a true master and each player seemed to bring good intentions. I'm on board to see if new material pops up and to watch a weekly game lead by a level 23 DM.

Can't wait for next week!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Okay, I've watched all of the first episode and part-way through the second one... and can state quite clearly that my opinion of this show is mixed-to-slightly-negative for one huge reason:

None of the characters EXCEPT for Evelyn want to accomplish anything.

Right now you have a SINGLE character trying to do things... and the other three PCs are basically making faces, complaints and not doing a damn thing but simply following the paladin along because the game requires them to. For a game that is meant to get other people to want to play... those CHARACTERIZATIONS SUCK. ESPECIALLY when you have THREE OF THE FOUR of them acting this way.

Characters have WANTS. They have NEEDS. They NEED something, and it's watching them try to attain that something which makes for compelling drama. But right now... Strix, Diath, and Paultin have not shown us a single thing that they want or desire or are looking for. They're just there... acting as an ass-faced Greek chorus whining every time Evelyn makes a choice to help someone. They are passively trying to stop the actions Anna Posser is throwing out there by ridiculing all of her choices.

In improvisation, we call this negging. Deliberately stomping on the offers given to you to start or continue scenes. And by doing so... you can STOP SCENES DEAD. For if the paladin wasn't saying "Let's go here!" or "Let's help this person!"... the party would be doing jack all right now.

Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE character choices made here, and makes for a very irritating show to watch. It's why Critical Role is so much better than most of the other RPG shows of this point, because every single character has a WANT or a NEED, and is always trying to go after it... rather than acting as the fly in the ointment because it's "funny" or because the player hasn't really thought about who their character is or what they want now that they're trapped in this realm.

What this show needs desperately is for [MENTION=82759]WotC_Trevor[/MENTION] to tell the three performers besides Anna to come up with a reason for your character to actually want to accomplish things here so that they become ACTIVE participants in the show, rather than passive wastes of space. Because the show is going to die if they don't... because we as an audience SIMPLY WON'T CARE about them.

I'm going to finish this second episode, and I hope against hope the other three characters actually find a desire to being being active. Because they desperately need it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads