D&D 5E Whatever "lore" is, it isn't "rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's a bit involved. I think it varied a bit between editions, but typically the wizard received a bonus/penalty to both caster level and saving throws against his spells depending on the fullness of his associated moon and then there were other events (like moons in conjunction) that also gave stacking adjustments.

Thank you. :)

I knew that. What I am looking for was the way he did it in that game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
When a goblin dies to a fireball but doesn't die to a 2-hp longsword wound, it's "lore."
No, it's straight mechanics:

The goblin has 5 h.p., the fireball does 16. End of goblin.
The next goblin has 5 h.p., the longsword does 2. Goblin fights on.
Fireballs more reliably kill goblins than longswords in the lore because they do so in the mechanics.
Lore has nothing to do with it. The goblin lives or dies in these examples by sheer numerical mechanics, nothing else.

Where lore comes in is the narration of the in-game effects of these mechanical events: "The goblin screams briefly then falls silent as its charred corpse crumples to the floor." "The sword hits the goblin hard, staggers it a bit, and puts a small cut in its shoulder; but the creature looks determined to fight on.". And there's nothing whatsoever that says these narrations have to be the same every time, or even ever the same twice...the narration is not bound by any rule saying what they must be or say. The only expectation is that the narration will at least vaguely hew to what the underlying mechanical results suggest.

Again, I think this distinction between "mechanical" rules and "non-mechanical rules" isn't a meaningful distinction. D&D is played by pretending to be a character, and the mechanics of pretending to be a character include referencing backstory. That is one mechanism by which "pretending to be a character" is accomplished. Backstory is a mechanic.
Different definition of 'mechanic' than I (and I suspect others) would use.

A mechanic is something that is hard-coded, usually with numbers attached somehow; and is either a rule unto itself or is part of one. "A Dwarf character gains +1 Str +1 Con and -1 Cha" is a hard-coded game mechanical rule.

Lore is something else, much less definable or code-able, and falls under guidelines rather than rules. "Dwarf characters tend to be tougher than most, but also tend to be harder to get along with" is a set of guidelines only, but not a rule unless there's something somewhere else that mechanically reflects that lore by changing the numeric stats for Dwarves.

It's also useful to see things through that lens, because it avoids entrenching or trivializing either of these things, and recognizes that using backstory is like using encumbrance: it's something some players get a kick out of, but others might not. You can also find different rules that work at different tables. Perhaps you have some other mechanism to use backstory that works better for your group. Perhaps PC's in your campaign have no backstory, and you're cool with that. Backstory, encumbrance, these things are in the same category: they tell you how the game is played.
Well...not quite. Encumbrance tells you how the game is played and has specific mechanical ramifications e.g. move rate. Backstory helps to (but does not fully) tell you what might make your character tick and gives you some RP ideas to flesh out, but most of the time has no mechanical impact whatsoever*.

* - unless your game is using some sort of social-status mechanics a la Birthright, but that's a corner case.

Lan-"despite how it might seem from what I'm posting these days, I really do prefer a rules-lighter type of game"-efan

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Japan is part of Asia, much like Madagascar is part of Africa or the island I'm sitting on (Vancouver Island) is part of North America as are all of Canada's Arctic islands. The definition of a continent usually includes those islands close around it; oddballs such as Hawaii in the middle of oceans are...well...whatever they are. :)

Australia, however, is not a continent; both it and Tasmania are part of Oceania which is kind of its own mess when it comes to trying to define these things.

Lan-"I knew that degree in geography would come in useful some day"-efan

Did anyone say that Australia is a continent?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Gygax's MM has stats for lions. It describes lions thus (p 61):

Lions generally inhabit warmer climates - warm temperate to tropical. They will thrive in any region, from desert to jungle, swamp to savannah. Lions hunt in packs (prides), the males seldom doing any actual stalking/killing of prey. The lioness is the real huntress. . . . Lions do not climb trees well and they dislike swimming.​

What animal do you think this is describing, if not the African lion? Yet the gameworlds that this creature is used in by default do not include Africa. (As I posted, the real-world geographical references in the MM are confined to Sumatra, Japan, China and India.)

So if you, as a D&D player, are shocked by having your PC encounter these creatures outside of Africa, I think you're in a minority.

The problem is that Garys MM is not actually describing African Lions. For example it claims that "Lions do not climb trees well and yet here we have an entire pride up a tree:

lions-29-638.jpg

so if the description is not an African Lion then maybe it is for a DnD Lion that appears to be a very different beast indeed and therefore irrelevant to discussions around African Lions.

The fixed damage is simply to ease handling. My point is that their fixed damage is half the average damage for a standard creature of that level (eg a 2nd level standard does an average of 10 damage - say, 2d6+3 - whereas a 2nd level minion does fixed 5 damage).

Right, fixed damge. Everything in 4e was based on the mechanics with the lore draped loosely over top so every level 2 minion will be doing X damage because that is how much damage a level 2 minion does according to the spread sheet.

Huh?

Your (non-FR specific) questions (in post 775) were: "Is the magic system like DL or not? If it is now an opt in or opt out choice then did I get that choice when I created my Wizard? Is there some Wizards guild hunting me down because I am casting spells wrong or not? . . . Can I play one? "

And I answered: the WoHS magic depends on the phases of the moon, and is robe-specific; they are a distinct order; you can play one (5 WoHS PCs over the life of that campaign, maybe even a couple more that I'm forgetting); and they are a political force in the Great Kingdom but not as important in the City of GH.

I don't see what's so confusing. Certainly none of the players in my game were the least bit confused.

Mainly it appears to be confusing because, as per my post, we are not even talking about your GH game. We already know that your players had no idea what was going on and so of course had no idea what to expect or not - that is irrelevant. If you insist on mixing conversations then no wonder you get confused.

I didn't say we shouldn't have it. I said it's not required to have a mechanic to draw a distinction in the fiction. One fighter can be of peasant background, the other of noble background, without there being any calling out of that in the PC building mechanics.

And in ADnD a peasant background is as relevant as a noble background. You could say you were the God-King of Fantasystan and it would be just as relevant to the game.

This is ridiculous. It's like saying living in a house is a cost because I have to remember my address; or having a job is a cost because I have to remember where I work.

Keeping track of stories and the fiction isn't a cost in RPGing. It's a core part of the experience.

And yet we have people who want to discuss what is canon or not that are trying to remember stories they read 20 years ago and wondering why what they remember is not what is actually written. They can not even remember main plot points like Raistlin making a pact with Fistandantilus. It puts the lie to the claim that remembering something is insignificant.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION], [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION]:

Wizards Presents: Worlds & Monsters, p 62:

[T]he design for elementals themselves had to change. . . . The elemental archons are a good example of a new creature born of this design approach. THey were created by the primordials to be elite soldiers . . . In the elemental hierarchy, they form the basis of world-scouring armies.​

The designers know that these are new creatures - they are not a reconcepting of Jeff Grubb's creation. It surprises me that this is even contentious.

Again, contrast eladrin: from pp 40-41 of the same book:

Some of the existing good-aligned monsters did incorporate neeat designs that we wanted to preserve and improve upon. Most of the eladrins fell into that category. . . . [W]e noted their generally fey appearance, and this led to a natural association with the Feywild. . . . Eladrins were already powerful magical beings in previous editions of the game. Now they have a very similar role, but as mysterious lords and ladies of the Feywild.​

When they are reworking an existing creature, they tell us (and also tell us why).

pemerton

Legend
They made a new thing, mechanically, and gave it the name of something else they already had. If that's not changing what an archon is, what that term means, in D&D canon then we're way down that rabbit hole.
When some person in Tennessee decided to name a town Memphis, they weren't changing anything about Egypt. They were just recycling a name.

Recycling a name may cause confusion (qv someone who thinks they'll find Elvis's shrine in Egypt, or who goes to Tennessee hoping to see N-thousand year old pyramids). But it doesn't change anything about the thing whose name has been reused.

I mean, judging from your user name your name might be Bill. Does your identity get shaken every time a newborn is named Bill? I'm guessing not.

pemerton

Legend
Astrology is not magical power. It's astrology. "You were born under the sign of Kord." and all that jazz.
So now you're making up your own GH lore in an attempt to show that my GH campaign contradicted canon?

From the big book in the boxed set, p 4:

The heavesn are far more important and interesting. We must study the stars, those which wander and those which are fixed, to properly understand Astrology. . . .

When both Mistress [Luna] and Handmaiden [Celene] are full, things of great portent are likely to occur, depending upon the positions of the five wandering stars in the Lairs, naturally.​

That doesn't say that "Astrology is not magical power". It implies the exact opposite!

What were the bonuses granted by the moons above and beyond what normal Greyhawk wizards received?
It's 20 years, so I don't recall precisely. The details are in Dragonlance Adventures: bonus spells and caster levels when the moon is full, I think, and correpsonding penalties when the moon is new.

EDIT: Ninja'd by [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION].

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads