D&D 5E How does the Phantasmal Force spell work correctly?

Undrhil

Explorer
Some more examples of how I would use PF -

In a combat with wolves, I would summon an illusion of a halfling on one of them. The wolf would immediately attack it, but would likely realize it's not real since it can't smell it and would ignore it. However, without doing the INT (Investigation) check and succeeding it, the spell continues on, so the wolf is ignoring the "halfling" but the spell is still doing damage to the wolf. Maybe after a couple of rounds, the wolf would try again to attack the illusion. Or it might, at this point, "reason it out" and do the check. I'm not a wolf, so I don't know how they think or if it would even bother, perhaps just opting to try to run away when it cannot damage the thing hurting it?

In a combat with some Kobolds, use PF to create the image of a Dragon (a Wyrmling, perhaps, due to the 10' cube size limitation) and that dragon would just be as majestic as possible to the one Kobold, so that Kobold would throw itself prostrate before it in worship. After a round or two of grovelling, it might wonder why the dragon hasn't spoken to it or moved or anything. Then, the Kobold would get up and investigate it.

Phantasmal Force is more about control than damage. Any turn in which the target of Phantasmal Force is interacting with the illusion (or investigating it) is a turn in which it is not attacking the party. This is a good thing and should be encouraged whole-heartedly. In fact, a Warlock with Hex could curse the target and let it have disadvantage on INT checks before the Wizard throws PF on it, making it even more likely to not be able to break away from the illusion.

It seems like people who complain about this spell have a hard time working out the illusion aspect of the spell. It's not a *real* illusion, in that anyone can see it: the illusion is in the mind of the target. Since it is in their mind, the illusion can do pretty much anything that the target believes it can do. Dragon illusion might Polymorph into something else or breathe fire, lightning, cone of cold. Chains will feel solid, rattle, etc. All of these things are part of the spell. Until the target makes the INT (Investigation) check (or passes the initial INT saving throw), the illusion is *real* to the target.

I am a wizard. I summoned chains around your arms. What are you going to do about it?

I am a wizard. I summoned a box over your head. What are you going to do about it?

I am a wizard. I summoned a gelatinous cube over you. What are you going to do about it?

I am a wizard. I summoned skeleton hands coming out of the ground at your feet, grabbing at your ankles and slashing you. What are you going to do about it?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The time spent at minimum is one action, not one turn. It would still deal damage on your first turn, however. And there are not many conditions one can actually inflict that actually are binding (as in, can take hold, not "binding" binding).

Again, compare it to Hold Person. Hold Person targets a different save (possibly worse, can't really confirm but i'll take it for true by your words), is limited in the kind of things one can target. But the minimum duration assuming no save is one of the target turns, during which the target is paralyzed - and that's HUGE. Auto crit huge. Auto fail saves huge.
There's way more creatures with a high con than there are with a high int. Even things that are described as cunning manipulative spellcasters get an int of 13-15. The sole exception is dragons.

Explain why phantasmal force cannot paralyze the target? if you can create any visible phenomenon and you can also determine the end result of that, then there isn't anything stopping you creating a full body force field that holds the target motionless.
Suggestion can be used to keep one creatures out of a fight directly - again, limitations on targeting - and a duration that's VERY long. It can also be used for other uses, possibly more than PF can, and Hold Person is limited for it.
Yeah, suggestion is a busted spell IMO. There's a reason that command's single word instruction was considered too powerful and reduced to a simple menu.
Blindness/Deafness do not require concetration so if you are using concentration for something else B/D is one of the few options. Way less utility, however, of Hold Person, if this is even possible.
Right, but blindness/deafness does one thing and one thing only. It doesn't eliminate a foe from a fight: it reduces their effectiveness. Hold person and phantasmal force can potentially not only eliminate a foe from a fight, but also let you kill them super good.
By having the target of the spell have to roll with his action if said action is used to interact with the illusion would brings the spell in line with B/D and HP - one check a turn. Less powerful that HP - it burns only an action, not a turn -, more than B/D - doesn't restrict action economy, restricts the pool of actions. Suggestion does not have other saves, but has an auto free condition.
Again: you are considering only the combat applications of the spell and ignoring any intelligent use. Phantasmal force used to do the same thing as these spells should be less effective. Otherwise why would you memorize these spells instead of phantasmal force?
By adding an auto free condition you are reducing the spell a little bit too much Imho.
First: the auto free condition (in this case) probably won't come up anyway: even the strongest foe only has a 30% chance to bust out of basic equipment manacles - it's a fundamentally bad course of action to take.

Secondly: I'm encouraging the illusionist to pick out something appropriate to his target instead of just encasing everything in an invincible field of opaque burning energy, which just becomes the default if the only way to free yourself is an investigation check.

lkwpeter

Explorer
Explain why phantasmal force cannot paralyze the target? if you can create any visible phenomenon and you can also determine the end result of that, then there isn't anything stopping you creating a full body force field that holds the target motionless.
For the hundredth time, you are not able to physically hold a person with Phatansmal Force! Therefore, it's not possible to "create a full body force field that holds the target motionless". The example given in the spell's description says that the target can't step on the bridge, but it falls through it, because the bridge isn't there. Even damage by acid/fire/creatures is psychic damage, not physic damage! So, there is no physic power/force that could hold/paralyze a person!

Your problem is the following:

• You make the spell more powerful than it is (adding elements).
  • You complain about the spell being too powerful.
  • You add alternative options to free from the spell effect that are not intended (to compensate).
  • In this way, you not only compensate your overpowered elements, but the whole spell.
  • With the result that the whole spell ist weaker than intended.
  • Congrats!

You may argument, that there is no official statement from WotC about that. But if you treat the spell effect analogously to the example of the bridge (not possible to step on it, because no physic power), it's quite clear. Read the reddits about PF, read this topic. Actually, almost everybody agrees to this point - except you. If you would stop adding new features to this spell (physic power) there wouldn't even be large intersections with spells like Hold Person, etc. So please, don't create problems, where there aren't any!

Last edited:

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
This wouldn't paralyze the target though, because the target would struggle against the force, and the target would succeed because there is nothing physically stopping them from moving since the full body force is an illusion. The only result of this would be the target feel a force trying to hold them down, it not working, and then the target rationalizing it like "Good thing I was strong enough to overcome that."

ThePolarBear

First Post
[MENTION=6804713]lkwpeter[/MENTION]

[sblock]
Just one question: Are you for or against asking for an INT (Investigation) check very early on? I read your post and agreed to your argumentation. At the end, I was surprised in the outcome, because I understand your wording that you would initiate the investigation of the illusion very quickly (e.g. after realizing that the bear takes no damage after hitting him a few times). Am I misunderstanding you?

I'm in for making a player roll for investigation if said player spends an Action interacting in some way with the illusion, if said interaction provides some sort of "examination". Attacking it, trying to break free of it, stuff like that. So yeah, i'm in for having the check done een on the first action possible.

This however depends also on how one plays their game with their group. A full open group has no problem with any of this since the first thing the DM would say is "you are under PF now, you see this and that. Take x damage". Such a group relies on trust and ability of players and DM to play in a way that can be consistent with the separation of player and character knowledge (and trust the various members at the table to act accordingly) or simply does not care about that and has fun anyway. In both cases the problem is not there to begin with.

This is the solution i found that works for me and my players, since we play with informations given via descriptions and not directly stated where possible. As such is important for me to have a way to make the player understand what's going on and how to "get out of it", and this way we found to be a way we like - "OOOoooh i see! It's an illusion then, my character is under a spell and this is how you end the effect...". It can change according to preferences exactly how one can use open rolling or DM hidden rolls.

In general, there are two things I want to throw into the middle:

1.)Fighting monsters:

The question rasised, if the spell's target would notice that something weird is going on after attacking the illusionary creature a few times (maybe noticing it can't be hit or damaged). The rules explicitly state the option to create an attacking monsters. So, I would be surprised, if WotC would give an example of something that is only half valid and therefore trigger an investigation check. Otherwise they would have said so.

Questions about "how to explain that the monster can't be hit or damaged" seem to be made up problems that are obsolete. The target rationalizes it in whatever way. Full stop. I think, there is no need to make things more complicated than they are.

In advance, keep in mind that the target doesn't have to attack the bear. It still can attack any other target. And it might even treat 1D6 damage not as the biggest thread. So, I don't believe that a 1D6 DOT effect is being liable to become game breaking. Therefore, I don't sse a need of an investigation check to nerf the spell.

Absolutely. The problem i have with the spell is that in fact the target rationalizes every inconsistency, every illogic interaction. Even "they can't see it and are telling me that itìs not there" gets rationalized. There's nothing that does not fit the bill, so there must be a reason for the existance of the check and the ability of a player to ask one. The player should know that the spell is there, but make a character act without such a knowledge. My "interaction means investigation" clears the DM of any possible problem of "it wouldn't investigate!" that might crop up while letting the DM be free to ignore the illusion should that be the logical thing to do anyway. It also allows the playstyle of my table to go on.

2.) Reasons for investigating the illusion:

As a lot of your previous posts already say, the target rationalizes most of the inconsistencies. So, that can't be a reason to ask for an investigation check, because the creature/character wouldn't normally do this with other creatures/objects, etc. as well (as @ThePolarBear also said).

Therefore, one possibility (perhaps not the only one) might lie in external influences - e.g. by other players/monsters. For example, companions could realize that the target is doing weird stuff and shout at him: "Hey, why are you fighting the air?" or "Move! Don't just stand there!". Dependend on the way they do that and the type of effect, this may take from one to a couple of rounds, until the creature believes them and starts investigating the illusion.

External influences are still illogical outcomes. They still get rationalized. If i were to tell you "that cellphone on the table isn't real" would you believe me or not? You would check the phone, right? And rationalize that your hand goes through or whatever. What's the difference between a sword and your hand? You are rationalizing anyway. Rationalizing illogical outcomes makes investigating impossible, everything would end up "ok", no matter how wrong it really is. If a player knows your character is under a spell then it CAN take an action, that gets narrate however one pleases, to identify the illusion. If a player does not know or has to make so that the disbelieving is "acceptable" there must be something to have that knowledge across. I found the way that works for me.

To cut a long story short:

• I think, the only logical way to legitimize an investigation check is, if the target has doubts about the effect. Otherwise it wouldn't investigate it, because it wouldn't do so in other situations (e.g. in a real fight, or with real objects).
  • The problem is, that these doubts raise very hard, because the target rationalizes everything itself. If that wouldn't be absolutely intended than the spell wouldn't say so.
  • Therefore there are only a very few valid reasons to trigger a check. One of them could be given by external influences.

A little thing: For my view there's a window of opportunity for such check to be made the moment an Action is spent in a way that triggers an illogical outcome with the illusion (objective: try to avoid wasted actions/many other benefits cons: Many).
If you prefer to work with external influences: Perfectly fine :D

Closing:

Regardless of the illusionary effect (attacking monster, status effect, object), I don't see this spell to be game breaking anymore. Yes, it's versatile. But neither its damage (1D6/round) nor its distraction / crowd control options (e.g. a fire cage) are too bad in comparism with other level 2 spells (e.g. Hold Person) - not even, if they are combined!

In this topic, we talked a lot about restrictions. In the beginning there were people that allowed "chaining a creature" or making it "extinguish in a pool of illusionary water". Looking back, a lot of these improper usages have been corrected. In the end, there will always be some parts/usages that rely on DM's discretion. But in my view, the spell doesn't appear to be broken as it was before this discussion.

Regards

Happy to have been useful if you found my comments to be of some worth :D

Have a nice game and have fun!
[/sblock]
[MENTION=5890]Saeviomagy[/MENTION]

[sblock]
There's way more creatures with a high con than there are with a high int. Even things that are described as cunning manipulative spellcasters get an int of 13-15. The sole exception is dragons.

Con? I suppose you meant Wis? Hold Person is Wisdom, as is Suggestion. B/D is Con, but in the part you quoted there was no mention of it.

Because you do not create a full body force field, but the illusion of a full body force field. The target can see, hear, smell, taste and recieves tactile feedback on the proprieties of said field (does it make your hair rise since it is electric in nature? Is it hot? Cold? Is it smooth?) but it does not exists and cannot impede or support physical actions.

An illusory bridge can't hold a person on it.
An illusory sword won't cut.
An illusory force field will not contain anything.

The target will know that there's a force field and that said force field would normally hold him so tight to be paralyzed, but that does not happen. And proceeds to rationalize this illogical result.

Right, but blindness/deafness does one thing and one thing only. It doesn't eliminate a foe from a fight: it reduces their effectiveness. Hold person and phantasmal force can potentially not only eliminate a foe from a fight, but also let you kill them super good.

Only HP does that. Phantasmal Force doesn't. At most, it forces some sort of sensorial impedment (blind due to bag on the head) or provokes a reaction on the target that might be what you had in mind when creating the illusion (like stopping a person running towards you creating a pool of lava on the floor). The reaction the target has, however, depends on what the caster creates and how the target can in the end do: you can create the illusion of a bridge on a chasm you just crossed to have one of your pursuers try to step on it and fall. If your pursuer can fly, however, why use the bridge in the first place? "Yeah, it's there, i can still fly."

Same for Suggestion. It has the ability to remove a fighter from a fight but it depends on the situation: during a taver brawl a suggestion like "just stop fighting and leave. It's not worth risking injuries over something this small" is very likely to be considered reasonable, while the same in the lair of a dragon is not going to be valid, if cast on a Dragon defending its hoard.

Again: you are considering only the combat applications of the spell and ignoring any intelligent use. Phantasmal force used to do the same thing as these spells should be less effective. Otherwise why would you memorize these spells instead of phantasmal force?
Different schools of specialization for once. Second because each does something different in different situations. Phantasmal Force is versatile but it's weaker than any other spell in each of every other spell in regards to what that spell does. Also, PF does not scale with slot level.

First: the auto free condition (in this case) probably won't come up anyway: even the strongest foe only has a 30% chance to bust out of basic equipment manacles - it's a fundamentally bad course of action to take.

Basic real manacles. Illusionary manacles it's impossible,at least physically, if the illusion is "manacles on the wrists". This does not mean that those manacles can restrict the target in any way unless the target restricts himself for some reason (like going prone if he believes there's a cloud of gas above his head, or choosing not to move if inside a cage). No one forces the target to take any action in a way that would constrict himself - he does so because he belives that's the best course of action, until proven otherwise (like trying to check if those manacle restrict his movement in any way)

Secondly: I'm encouraging the illusionist to pick out something appropriate to his target instead of just encasing everything in an invincible field of opaque burning energy, which just becomes the default if the only way to free yourself is an investigation check.

... that only deal 1d6 of damage, since said field is not going to stop anyone to try and find themselves able to move on turn 1 which is not even a roll - no one was ever really impeded.

How do i deal with it instead of having an action "wasted"? Your attempt to free yourself ended with you learning something about the effect - you examined it. You roll to see if you rationalize or realize what's happening. In the end, you spent your action investigating the effect if you spent an action in some way interacting with the illusion.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Undrhil

Explorer
In regards to rationalizing outside influences: no, the target wouldn't rationalize anything their allies say to them. Because that is not interacting with the illusion.

The illusion *can move* with the target, so a target trying to walk through it would instead rationalize that the force field was moving with them, which is why they cannot simply walk through it.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Just a point: I don't think the spell can physically restrain you.

However hold person is not physically restraining you either, or it would have a physical save.

Just as with manacles, phantasmal force can create something which appears to confine you to the point where you should be paralysed. If you struggle against it, it won't hold you: just like the illusory manacles. And then you will rationalize it as the field being weak or broken. It doesn't really matter which: you aren't going to be held by it any more.

lkwpeter

Explorer
Investigation check:

A little thing: For my view there's a window of opportunity for such check to be made the moment an Action is spent in a way that triggers an illogical outcome with the illusion (objective: try to avoid wasted actions/many other benefits cons: Many).
If you prefer to work with external influences: Perfectly fine :D
Hm...but that would somehow totally negate the "The target rationalizes any illogical outcomes from interacting with the phantasm" part of the spell's description. I believe, WotC would just have written that the investigation check would (or could) be triggered after the target has been rationalized inconsistency once. But they didn't which I gather from that it's not intended to end the spell effect so fast. As a player, I would be a bit disappointed, if my DM would end that spell effect so fast.

External influences:

External influences are still illogical outcomes.
In regards to rationalizing outside influences: no, the target wouldn't rationalize anything their allies say to them. Because that is not interacting with the illusion.
Well, it's hard to prove whether your interpretation or mine is correct. I believe, both are valid. But in this case, I agree to Undrhil. For me, I take the wording of the spell description very verbatim. It says "The target rationalizes any illogical outcomes from interacting with the phantasm." That means two things for me:

1. The target rationalizes everything from interacting with the phantasm (and only with the phantasm).
  2. The target rationalizes inconsistencies only from interacting.
For this reason, I don't include external influences as things being rationalized. It's not like you companion says "hey, that's not real." and you instantly free yourself. But it might raise doubts and you still would have to investigate the effect. Keep in mind that other characters can't see the illusion, so they won't notice their companion doing weird stuff immediately. Depended from the illusion/situation that might take more or less rounds. But I think that's quite a fair deal.

Also, as I said before, this doesn't seem to be broken at all. There is no rule that the target has to take the illusion as first priority. If it's caged - fine - then it still could cast spells from its position, use objects and attack with a ranged weapon. If you created an illusionary creature: Okay, but the target could also attack different creatures (as it would do normally).

In my opinion, the trigger of an investigation check is intended to be harder. Otherwise, WotC wouldn't have chosen such an unusual and rare wording in the description (that most of the other illusion spells doesn't contain).

Moving illusions:

The illusion *can move* with the target, so a target trying to walk through it would instead rationalize that the force field was moving with them, which is why they cannot simply walk through it.
In my view, the object would only move, if it the "real version" of it would move as well:

• Manacles would move with the target, if they are not chained to the wall.
  • A bridge would not move, because it wouldn't move in reality.
  • For this reason, a gelatinous cube also would not move, because it wouldn't if it was real.
This is actually a very consistent and easy rule to prove, whether or not a created illusion would move with the target or not.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
If a person moves beyond the reach of illusionary chains they break, leaving a broken length of chain dangling from you wrists, it seems pretty straight forward to me, I don't know why all the arguing is for.

Phantasmal Force can only hold you if you don't challenge it, either by an investigation check by attempting to over come it, at which point the illusion adapts to the new circumstances, such as broken chains dangling from your wrists.

As for putting a "bucket" over the target's head, the targets conscious mind is convinced that is blinded and makes choices based on that, but it's not actually blinded, light still reaches its eyes and the eyes still send the signal to the brain so the target still reacts physically and instinctually as if it can see, so it will instinctively still Dodge an attack, (there is actually a real world form of blondness like this, they can't see on a conscious level, as far they are concerned they only precieve darkness, but throw a ball at them and they will catch it, because the eyes work fine).

This keeps Phantasmal interesting, but not overpowered.

Some more examples of how I would use PF -

In a combat with wolves, I would summon an illusion of a halfling on one of them. The wolf would immediately attack it, but would likely realize it's not real since it can't smell it and would ignore it. However, without doing the INT (Investigation) check and succeeding it, the spell continues on, so the wolf is ignoring the "halfling" but the spell is still doing damage to the wolf. Maybe after a couple of rounds, the wolf would try again to attack the illusion. Or it might, at this point, "reason it out" and do the check. I'm not a wolf, so I don't know how they think or if it would even bother, perhaps just opting to try to run away when it cannot damage the thing hurting it?

In a combat with some Kobolds, use PF to create the image of a Dragon (a Wyrmling, perhaps, due to the 10' cube size limitation) and that dragon would just be as majestic as possible to the one Kobold, so that Kobold would throw itself prostrate before it in worship. After a round or two of grovelling, it might wonder why the dragon hasn't spoken to it or moved or anything. Then, the Kobold would get up and investigate it.

Phantasmal Force is more about control than damage. Any turn in which the target of Phantasmal Force is interacting with the illusion (or investigating it) is a turn in which it is not attacking the party. This is a good thing and should be encouraged whole-heartedly. In fact, a Warlock with Hex could curse the target and let it have disadvantage on INT checks before the Wizard throws PF on it, making it even more likely to not be able to break away from the illusion.

It seems like people who complain about this spell have a hard time working out the illusion aspect of the spell. It's not a *real* illusion, in that anyone can see it: the illusion is in the mind of the target. Since it is in their mind, the illusion can do pretty much anything that the target believes it can do. Dragon illusion might Polymorph into something else or breathe fire, lightning, cone of cold. Chains will feel solid, rattle, etc. All of these things are part of the spell. Until the target makes the INT (Investigation) check (or passes the initial INT saving throw), the illusion is *real* to the target.

I am a wizard. I summoned chains around your arms. What are you going to do about it?

DM: the caster will have to have experienced what it feels like to have been wrapped in chains - if you didn't spend time "practicing" with the effect, it counts as a poor quality spell.

I am a wizard. I summoned a box over your head. What are you going to do about it?

The victim may attempt to remove the box, or have a servant or have an npc remove it. Otherwise, it may delay the victim's action(s), or allow a saving throw to disbelieve.

I am a wizard. I summoned a gelatinous cube over you. What are you going to do about it?

DM: (checks notes and players' list of "monsters encountered"; if gelatatinous cube has never been encountered, the spell fails).

I am a wizard. I summoned skeleton hands coming out of the ground at your feet, grabbing at your ankles and slashing you. What are you going to do about it?

Again, "visual experience" is the key. The victim will still probably get some kind of save; and even if failed, the maximum damage is 1d6.

Remove ads