Discovery Trailer

Ryujin

Legend
I believe to be not above any form of "low-brow" humor, but I can't help but feeling that there joke timing isn't all that bad.
They just often don't really fit well into the story. Farscape (or maybe a more watched show, Stargate) did have a lot of humor, too, but it integrated better.

I think that's something they really need to work on.

I think that they'll eventually work out the timing. The 3rd and 4th episodes were noticeably better than the first two. And who doesn't like, "Could you open this jar of pickles for me?"

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Okay, so with ep 3 things are getting a bit more clear. Random observations:

SPOILERS

* Last ep ended on the promise of showing the "seedy underbelly" of the Federation. A prison mine? How will she escape? Will she meet someone she'll bring with her...

...and then it took a whole ten seconds to do away with all that promise... 😛

Of course I realize she would reach the Discovery this ep, but I did hope "let it not be she's personally picked by the captain, let it not be she's personally picked by the captain"... and then they went all she's personally picked by the captain...

* the captain might have made his "not evil" speech at the end... but he's evil, alright...

* isn't this story overdone? I must say the "we're at war, let's make moral compromise" is "edgy Trek", and I wonder if MacFarlane isn't onto something - that what we want is classic idealistic optimistic Trek...

* not sure I like distrust between crew members. Sure it's realistic, but that doesn't mean I like it. Cast intros were either hostile or stupidly naive. That makes a good first impression much harder.

* the male friendship / partners were incredibly weak-sauce. We got two seconds of fuzzy avatar head and then the meatblender to help us feel the tech officer's loss...

* please don't say they're aware we want brightly lit sets, and went ahead and made up a story reason why they won't give it to us?

* is it just me or is it blindingly obvious that the super-weapon won't work and can't be allowed to work? Why not ditch that stupid story and focus on something they might actually pull off. Isn't Trek about us sharing into the hopefulness of the crew?

In summary: good sci-fi action but not necessarily a better Trek experience than the maligned movies...

...in stark contrast to that other show, which gets a decidedly better audience approval rate. Go figure.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Ryujin

Legend
There are four episodes of the Orville and three of Discovery.

Sorry, meant 3rd, but had just finished typing 4th for The Orville.

Okay, so with ep 3 things are getting a bit more clear. Random observations:

SPOILERS

* Last ep ended on the promise of showing the "seedy underbelly" of the Federation. A prison mine? How will she escape? Will she meet someone she'll bring with her...

...and then it took a whole ten seconds to do away with all that promise... 😛

Of course I realize she would reach the Discovery this ep, but I did hope "let it not be she's personally picked by the captain, let it not be she's personally picked by the captain"... and then they went all she's personally picked by the captain...

* the captain might have made his "not evil" speech at the end... but he's evil, alright...

* isn't this story overdone? I must say the "we're at war, let's make moral compromise" is "edgy Trek", and I wonder if MacFarlane isn't onto something - that what we want is classic idealistic optimistic Trek...

* not sure I like distrust between crew members. Sure it's realistic, but that doesn't mean I like it. Cast intros were either hostile or stupidly naive. That makes a good first impression much harder.

* the male friendship / partners were incredibly weak-sauce. We got two seconds of fuzzy avatar head and then the meatblender to help us feel the tech officer's loss...

* please don't say they're aware we want brightly lit sets, and went ahead and made up a story reason why they won't give it to us?

* is it just me or is it blindingly obvious that the super-weapon won't work and can't be allowed to work? Why not ditch that stupid story and focus on something they might actually pull off. Isn't Trek about us sharing into the hopefulness of the crew?

In summary: good sci-fi action but not necessarily a better Trek experience than the maligned movies...

...in stark contrast to that other show, which gets a decidedly better audience approval rate. Go figure.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Interesting that I got the feel of much of that, from just the few minutes I saw of last night's episode. After seeing the first two episodes something was tugging at the back of my mind, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Because I've been a Trekkie (-er?) since the show first came on the air, back in the '60s, I gave the premiere episodes another chance over the weekend. (The Canadian SciFi network SPACE has been pushing it hard and showed them two or three more times over the weekend). With that second viewing it finally struck me what had been bothering me about them; The Federation doesn't shoot first BUT they are fully willing to commit a war crime in order to end a fight.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Watched it!

Interesting episode. This is really the first episode. The previous two were just a prologue.

I liked the focus on shipboard life, on normal crew not just the command crew, the feel of the ship (it felt like a real, busy, operational vessel).

Special effects were gorgeous. I know some people aren’t so keen on the tech looking prettier than TOS, but TOS tech looks silly these days. At some point, you have to just accept the franchise can’t stick with 1960s prop and set design forever.

The plot? Not so sure. There are space slides which let you transport a person or a ship anywhere in the universe? And they’re connected to some kind of space dinosaur they keep in a cage? I didn’t quite get that. Maybe I should watch it again.

MarkB

Legend
The plot? Not so sure. There are space slides which let you transport a person or a ship anywhere in the universe? And they’re connected to some kind of space dinosaur they keep in a cage? I didn’t quite get that. Maybe I should watch it again.

I wasn't quite sure from the way it was shown whether Burnham was actually being transported all over the cosmos, or just shown a slide-show of 'memories' from places the spores had been.

On the other hand, if personal transportation is possible, then one adverse side-effect of such an experiment going awry might be the inadvertent transportation of some creature from elsewhere into the ship.

Hussar

Legend
I'm not entirely sure I liked the 3rd ep. Some good, bad and very bad.

The Good:

Yup, I agree with [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], this show is freaking GORGEOUS. And, it's probably the hardest SF version of Trek to date. I kinda like that they're giving it a more hard SF look. Yup, the sets are too damn dark. Grr. Hopefully that will shift later on.

Michael is a badass. I do love the scene where she kicks the crap out of the convicts. Although, that being said, she's appearing to be a LOT more emotional and a lot less Vulcan in this episode. Guess it makes sense. Just a big shift in how I saw the character.

The interplay between Saru and Michael. That's a great dynamic. You can tell Saru truly respects Michael but, also doesn't trust her and blames her for the death of the Captain. I realy look forward to seeing how this plays out.

"Did he just shush us?" is probably the best line I've heard in a long, long time.

The Bad:

Ok, why did we have the prison transport scene? Three throwaway characters for Michael to put the slippers to?

Curly Haired Barklay - come on. Massive allergies and some pretty serious personal issues gets to be a Star Fleet officer? Gimme a break. Think about it - why wouldn't that have been something during her initial training and medical workup? Seriously, do we really need awkward socially inept geek character? Ah well, at least they didn't make her a kid.

The Ugly:

The captain is a bad guy? Really? We're going to go there?

And, exactly why did they blow up an entire star ship? Umm, that's a pretty expensive piece of equipment there and you folks just turned it into ash because ... reasons? How about funerals for the crew? Next of kin? And, why the hell does the captain have a Predator esque trophy room of alien bits?

-----

Although, if you think about it, this could tie into the new Trek movies. How did Khan transport from planet to planet? Well, maybe this will explain that. And possibly explain why we don't do it. Of course, the whole accident thing turning you inside out might be a clue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases