Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Toledo

Explorer
Bellairs, John 19
Brackett, Leigh 10
Brown, Frederic 16
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 23
Carter, Lin 18
de Camp & Pratt 19
Dunsany, Lord 20
Gardner, Fox 19
Howard, R.E. 10
Lanier, Sterling 18
Leiber, Fritz 26-2=24
Merritt, A. 18
Moorcock, Michael 18
Norton, Andre 22
Offutt, Andrew J. 16
Pratt, Fletcher 18
St. Clair, Margaret 21
Tolkien, J. R. R. 17+1=18
Weinbaum, Stanley 16
Wellman, Manley Wade 16
Williamson, Jack 18
Zelazny, Roger 24

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Holy cow, that was a lot of firepower directed at Tolkien just now.
I'm surprised Tolkien has lasted this long in this contest, honestly. We all know he's the most influential choice on the list, but...well, some folks have waited years to be given a platform from which to voice their distaste for Tolkien. A chance to finally argue for the separation of the two, no matter how futile that argument might be. Some people have already decided that Tolkien must be removed, period. Maybe so other authors can enjoy the spotlight for a change? That's not a bad reason...every author on this list is worth a read, in my opinion.

But we all know the score.

Bellairs, John 19
Brackett, Leigh 10
Brown, Frederic 16
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 23
Carter, Lin 18
de Camp & Pratt 19
Dunsany, Lord 20
Gardner, Fox 19
Howard, R.E. 10-2=8
Lanier, Sterling 18
Leiber, Fritz 24
Merritt, A. 18
Moorcock, Michael 18
Norton, Andre 22
Offutt, Andrew J. 16
Pratt, Fletcher 18
St. Clair, Margaret 21
Tolkien, J. R. R. 18+1=19
Weinbaum, Stanley 16
Wellman, Manley Wade 16
Williamson, Jack 18
Zelazny, Roger 24

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm surprised Tolkien has lasted this long in this contest, honestly. We all know he's the most influential choice on the list, but...well, some folks have waited years to be given a platform from which to voice their distaste for Tolkien. A chance to finally argue for the separation of the two, no matter how futile that argument might be. Some people have already decided that Tolkien must be removed, period. Maybe so other authors can enjoy the spotlight for a change? That's not a bad reason...every author on this list is worth a read, in my opinion.

But we all know the score.

Bellairs, John 19
Brackett, Leigh 10
Brown, Frederic 16
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 23
Carter, Lin 18
de Camp & Pratt 19
Dunsany, Lord 20
Gardner, Fox 19
Howard, R.E. 10-2=8
Lanier, Sterling 18
Leiber, Fritz 24
Merritt, A. 18
Moorcock, Michael 18
Norton, Andre 22
Offutt, Andrew J. 16
Pratt, Fletcher 18
St. Clair, Margaret 21
Tolkien, J. R. R. 18+1=19
Weinbaum, Stanley 16
Wellman, Manley Wade 16
Williamson, Jack 18
Zelazny, Roger 24

Yup, Tolkien is the most underrated author on this worthy list.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm surprised Tolkien has lasted this long in this contest, honestly. We all know he's the most influential choice on the list, but...well, some folks have waited years to be given a platform from which to voice their distaste for Tolkien.

You seriously think that people have waited years to voice their distaste of Tolkien, and just now, on this thread, finally have their opportunity? OK then.

Or...maybe some people just aren't fans of his work. It's subjective. This isn't a thread about who as most influential, it's a popularity contest, of who you like most. I swear to God, between this and the video game contest with Planescape fans, there's a lot of butthurt going around of people not being able to handle other people not sharing their opinions. Heck, in that thread Paul even had the audacity to call people who didn't like Planescape mentally broken people.

Chill out dudes.

Bellairs, John 19
Brackett, Leigh 10
Brown, Frederic 16
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 23
Carter, Lin 18
de Camp & Pratt 19
Dunsany, Lord 20
Gardner, Fox 19
Howard, R.E. 6
Lanier, Sterling 18
Leiber, Fritz 24
Merritt, A. 18
Moorcock, Michael 18
Norton, Andre 23
Offutt, Andrew J. 16
Pratt, Fletcher 18
St. Clair, Margaret 21
Tolkien, J. R. R. 19
Weinbaum, Stanley 16
Wellman, Manley Wade 16
Williamson, Jack 18
Zelazny, Roger 24

Imaro

Legend
Bellairs, John 19
Brackett, Leigh 10
Brown, Frederic 16
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 23
Carter, Lin 18
de Camp & Pratt 19
Dunsany, Lord 20
Gardner, Fox 19
Howard, R.E. 4
Lanier, Sterling 18
Leiber, Fritz 24
Merritt, A. 18
Moorcock, Michael 19
Norton, Andre 23
Offutt, Andrew J. 16
Pratt, Fletcher 18
St. Clair, Margaret 21
Tolkien, J. R. R. 19
Weinbaum, Stanley 16
Wellman, Manley Wade 16
Williamson, Jack 18
Zelazny, Roger 24

Dausuul

Legend
You seriously think that people have waited years to voice their distaste of Tolkien, and just now, on this thread, finally have their opportunity? OK then.

Or...maybe some people just aren't fans of his work. It's subjective. This isn't a thread about who as most influential, it's a popularity contest, of who you like most.
It's not even a popularity contest, exactly. It's more like a popularity Game of Thrones, with everyone pursuing their own agendas, making alliances of convenience, and stabbing each other in the back for any reason or no reason.

I mean, I am a fan of Tolkien's work. He is deservedly one of the giants of the genre. But he's not my top pick from this list, and he looks like the biggest threat--or did until he got dogpiled today--so I've been downvoting him to boost my guy's chances of victory. (And arguing with the people who want to make him out the second coming of Shakespeare, which he ain't.)

I mean, I am a fan of Tolkien's work. He is deservedly one of the giants of the genre. But he's not my top pick from this list, and he looks like the biggest threat--or did until he got dogpiled today--so I've been downvoting him to boost my guy's chances of victory. (And arguing with the people who want to make him out the second coming of Shakespeare, which he ain't.)

I pretty much agree with Dausuul here. Tolkien would make my top ten, but not my top three. However, he's the biggest threat for a runaway, so he's getting downvotes until a bunch of the derivative pikers hit the trash heap (Linwood Carter, I'm eyeing you).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This isn't a thread about who as most influential, it's a popularity contest, of who you like most.
Appendix N is a list of authors that Gygax listed as "most influential," so that's how I've been choosing my votes. (Otherwise I don't know how I would ever be able to choose between, say, Burroughs and Zelazny. That's like trying to choose between burritos and pizza.) I was snarky, sure, but I meant it in jest...I'm not trying to silence or insult anyone.

I stand by what I said: I'm surprised that Tolkien has lasted this long, having seen how the other similar contests and threads have shaken out. And if you enjoy reading sci-fi and fantasy, every author on this list is worth your time.

Remove ads