Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's a great idea- I try to have the starting list be something "objective," or, at least, someone else's list (like this was). That way, people aren't caught up in a dispute as to what should, and shouldn't, be on the list.

If y'all want to brainstorm some way to:

a. Have a list of more recent authors (no repeats); and
b. Have it be something that won't be argued over (the list is the list); then

I'm always game!

I agree with [MENTION=30438]Ralif Redhammer[/MENTION] above, using the 5E PHB Appendix E with the Appendix N authors removed would be fun. Appendix E is both a better, and yet more uneven list, methinks.

It's a great idea- I try to have the starting list be something "objective," or, at least, someone else's list (like this was). That way, people aren't caught up in a dispute as to what should, and shouldn't, be on the list.

If y'all want to brainstorm some way to:

a. Have a list of more recent authors (no repeats); and
b. Have it be something that won't be argued over (the list is the list); then

I'm always game!

How about the winners of the Hugo award for best book covering the years in this millennium.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I also thought of Appendix E, but when I saw that it retained all of the original Appendix N, I gave up on the idea. Simply removing the Appendix N authors is a great solution.

Also, don't forget that the 5E DMG has its own inspirational reading list. But it's far less exciting.

The craziest idea I had was Survivor Winners Survivor... All the winners of previous Survivor threads competing against each other. But talk about comparing apples to oranges. I don't think it would work. But you could do the Top 5 finishers of two similar lists. Top 5 Xanathar's Subclasses & Top 5 SCAG subclasses maybe?

Some other ideas:

9th Level Spells
Schools of Magic
Unearthed Arcana (all the .pdf releases so far)
Languages
Environment (as in the "Creatures by Environment" lists in the DMG and Volo's Guide -- Arctic, Coastal, Desert, Forest, etc.)

Some of these might have been done already.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I can't blame him. I couldn't finish his first book.
Don't you love books that start off reasonably well, then put the whole story on hold so the main character can tell us the story of his life, from the time that he was a small child, in one giant 600-page flashback?

Because I sure as hell don't.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That was just one thread. We've had the same thing every six months or so. You're a prolific poster who has participated in these threads. In every thread, people have talked about Gary's comments on this topic, so yeah, it is common knowledge if it's talked about every time it comes up. I'm not expecting you to do the research for me. I even provided you a link that quotes him from as early as 1974 on the topic (not to mention the many times he was asked about it since). Even after I showed you a direct link, you're still asking me to provide proof? Gary's feelings on Tolkien is about as common knowledge as Gary being ousted from TSR. Just because you're claiming (a claim I don't believe for reasons I just gave) you never knew about it doesn't mean it's not common knowledge.

So sorry, I'm not buying it. You don't seem to be even reading everything I read, and I have a hard time believing that you, as a prolific active poster who has been active in these past threads on this topic, are trying to say you have no idea what Gary said.

So have a good day. I'm not going to continue to have a conversation who doesn't bother to read all of my posts.

First, I missed the second link in that post of yours. Sue me. I only saw the one and I wasn't going to slog through a thread for you. Second, I just went back and looked at the second link and it shows nothing like what you are claiming here. There were two quotes from Gygax, neither of which say that Tolkien wasn't a foundational influence.

The first quote just says that there are other authors he considered as well, which we all know from the list we are voting on. the second quote says that the heroes were kinda boring, but other than the ranger class lifted almost directly from Aragorn, I'm not saying that the heroes are the part of the foundation he took from Tolkien. Then the author of that article goes on to say that Gygax would often tell us which parts of Tolkien he took and which he didn't.

Your link doesn't prove your claim, and your continued "common knowledge" statement is nothing more than an Appeal to Popularity. Lots of things that are "common knowledge" are incorrect. Feel free to leave the conversation or stay, but do you really want to leave the discussion on a fallacy?

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 13
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 10
Merritt, A. 8
Offutt, Andrew J. 6
Tolkien, J.R.R. 11
Wellman, Manley Wade 10
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 13