Big Changes in ICv2's RPG Industry Charts, as Pathfinder Drops Off Before 2E's Release!

ICv2 has just released its Fall 2018 industry chart of the top selling hobby channel roleplaying games, and for the first time since the game launched, Pathfinder - no doubt affected by the impending release of Pathfinder 2E - is not in the top five!

ICv2 has just released its Fall 2018 industry chart of the top selling hobby channel roleplaying games, and for the first time since the game launched, Pathfinder - no doubt affected by the impending release of Pathfinder 2E - is not in the top five!

Pathfinder01.jpg

1Dungeons & DragonsWotC
2Legend of the Five RingsFFG
3Star Wars RPGFFG
4StarfinderPaizo
5VampireWhite Wolf

Pathfinder has been in the top 5 since it launched in 2009. Traditionally, it holds the #2 spot, just after D&D, although for three years from Spring 2011 to Summer 2014 it knocked D&D off its perch and claimed the top position. Since then, it's pretty much been D&D - Pathfinder - Star Wars, with the fourth and fifth positions battled over by the latest hotness.​

D&D dropped off the chart back in Spring 2014, just before D&D 5E launched. With Pathfinder 2 coming in August, this looks like the same effect.

In Pathfinder's absence, Fantasy Flight Games makes a strong showing with Legend of the Five Rings and Star Wars, and White Wolf's Vampire - despite the controversy, sneaks in at #5.

Kurviak

Explorer
No it's not. It's been explained why too.

Yes - and it is not the statement I made.

My own preferences about Pathfinder or not is irrelevent to the conversation - I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about how Pathfinder 2nd edition will fare. I'd be happy to see Pathfinder increase it's sales, as I regard Lisa Stevens as one of the outstanding RPG executives of the last three decades, in fact. But I am critical of the design and approach of the prospective new core rules, and think they will have real challenges in maintaining their sales status of the last decade. You cannot seem to disconnect the criticism away from tribalism, however.

Again, this is disappointing because you are making an ad hominem attack rather than addressing the arguments.

And you still think you know better than Lisa Stevens and Paizo's marketing team about the market share target for the 2nd edition of a game they have been successfully selling for a decade without having any of the real marketing & research data they have?

And you still think you know better than Lisa Stevens and Paizo's marketing team about the market share target for the 2nd edition of a game they have been successfully selling for a decade without having any of the real marketing & research data they have?
It's not whether they have managed to sell for the previous decade that will be tested out by their new edition - it's whether they will maintain it. They've made a new edition because their marketing and managing team have identified that they need to boost sales, and they are taking their own calculated risks as every business does. The decisions made are not infallible, and people making criticism are not automatically incorrect. If that was the case, then every business would be fine and dandy forever. The criticism made here is the same as elsewhere by others too incidentally, and any marketing team worth their salt would be noticing this. As stated before, time will tell.

I don’t understand what that means. It’s a quote.
No, it's your assertion that changes my impersonal statement into a personal one.

But *that* is not what you said. You said 600 pages was bad design. You were talking about the format of the book.
Yes it is, because my criticism of 600 pages was based on the premise that I was being critical of the design and approach of the prospective new core rules, and think they will have real challenges in maintaining their sales status of the last decade. 600 pages is bad design, because it puts up barriers to new audiences and is largely made up of stuff the core game could have withheld or been more considerate about.

If you don’t like the actual game, that’s a different conversation.
And it's one you have already asserted in this conversation to making it a conversation about my tastes.

Yeah, insults aren’t going to help. Don’t do that, please.
'Ad hominem' is not an insult - it's pointing out that you have attempted to discredit me rather than my arguments. You already made the comment that I was being 'snotty' by criticising 600 pages as a bad design choice, and then pushed my impersonal arguments into arguments about my personal taste, within the context that I 'just don't buy it' and 'I think it's clear you will' and the insinuation that my arguments are based on anti-Pathfinder tribalism. You are insulting me, not the other way round.

Remove ads

Remove ads