Grogbards, Tell Me Stories of Greyhawk

Shiroiken

Legend
Does anyone know where the most recent, up-to-date WotC advanced timeline can be found? I want to know what year it is in Greyhawk now according to WotC.

I find it interesting that most people consider living Greyhawk not to be canon. I think my question might actually have been better phrased as "what happened during the events of Living Greyhawk?" since that is information I cannot seem to find ANYWHERE.
The best source of LG is probably the articles archive found at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/arch/dndlg (I hope I did that right).

LG was designed to be a private gaming league run by non-WotC staff. They had little to no input into the LG campaign, and provided minimal support for it. This makes it non-canon in the same way the Living City campaign isn't canon for Forgotten Realms.

Pauln6

Hero
LG was uneven but had some nifty ideas. I think that, given the short time frame, there was too much regime change amongst the rulers but if you focus on one region you can have a lot of fun. Bandit Kingdoms did a write up on their plot lines which you can buy, fun because it features Iuz's Boneheart. I also thought that Keoland and Geoff had a lot of magical flavour and good characterisation among their NPCs. The liberation of Geoff in particular is a great overall arc and you can incorporate Against the Giants quite easily in there too.

Don't forget Aulicus, the Dragon Prophet of the Hool Marshes. From the Tomb of the Lizard King and given more personality when he tried to obtain diplomatic immunity as the High Herald of the resurrected Sakatha. Don't worry though, Keoland's sensible laws on resurrection mean that the dead can't revoke their wills and they can't reclaim their titles.

Luz

Explorer
Against the Giants has a few dragons, including two white and one red. In the original modules (G1-G3) they were not named. However, in the 5e update (Yawning Portal), they named the red dragon 'Brazzemal'.

Actually, Brazzemal was named in the original G3 module, not the 5e update, so I guess he could be considered the first named dragon of the setting (at least by Gygax). Brazzemal also made an appearance in the Age of Worms adventure path from Paizo which added quite a few more named dragons to the GH list.

Dragon Magazine #230 has a good article by Roger Moore called "The Orbs of Dragonkind" that introduces the Fiery Kings - a family of powerful red dragons that fought with the Mages of Power of the Suel Empire. Well worth reading.

Not sure what the current year is for GH nowadays, it seems to have fizzled out around 597 CY, AFAIK. There was a movement in 2013 called Greyhawk Reborn that may have moved the timeline forward, but this isn't official canon. If you haven't seen Steve Wilson's exhaustive Greychrondex yet, then it is a must-have.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Actually, Brazzemal was named in the original G3 module, not the 5e update, so I guess he could be considered the first named dragon of the setting (at least by Gygax). Brazzemal also made an appearance in the Age of Worms adventure path from Paizo which added quite a few more named dragons to the GH list.

Dragon Magazine #230 has a good article by Roger Moore called "The Orbs of Dragonkind" that introduces the Fiery Kings - a family of powerful red dragons that fought with the Mages of Power of the Suel Empire. Well worth reading.

Not sure what the current year is for GH nowadays, it seems to have fizzled out around 597 CY, AFAIK. There was a movement in 2013 called Greyhawk Reborn that may have moved the timeline forward, but this isn't official canon. If you haven't seen Steve Wilson's exhaustive Greychrondex yet, then it is a must-have.

My mistake! Just re-read the 1978 version of G3 and indeed he is named.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Oh, thanks everybody for the info!

At first for some reason I thought the only response I got was [MENTION=6872597]Volund[/MENTION]'s so the entirety of my initial response was:

Weird! I have actually run I2...in SPLINTER of all things as part of the playtest for Sometimes Little Wondrous Things, Ugly Things, and the reworked SPLINTER core rules.

Aulicus was the inspiration for the Baphomet in Ugly Things because all True Dragons in SPLINTER are AL 10--which is the equivalent in D&D of CR20+--powerful enough to wipe the floor with the party and too powerful to be working for the Lizard King. All True Dragons in SPLINTER were ancient by default, so while not a dragon, the dragon-like Baphomet monster was created (even in chromatic flavors if I remember right, which True Dragons don't have in SPLINTER) to fill the role of the "Young Adult Dragon" slot in the bestiary.

IIRC, the PCs killed him with an RPG (rocket-propelled grenade). I'm not against using Aulicus in my unnamed Greyhawk thingy, but I will always remember the SPLINTER version of him getting killed with a rocket launcher by my PCs.

That was a really fun campaign. Probably the most fun I've had running something online, not to mention purely for reasons of playtesting.

Don't forget Aulicus, the Dragon Prophet of the Hool Marshes. From the Tomb of the Lizard King and given more personality when he tried to obtain diplomatic immunity as the High Herald of the resurrected Sakatha.

Please tell me more, if you can. (My recollection of Tomb of the Lizard King is tainted by my thorough SPLINTER-ification of it but what happened afterwards sounds even more interesting.)

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
Somebody will have to remind me of the author. I used to copy the emails to steal ideas for my own campaign but I didn't always copy everything:

The Prophet marveled at how much had changed in the nest – no, a city, that was their term for it – of humans since he had last observed it. He new of some of his ilk that preferred to change form into one of the mammals, to walk through their crude paved causeways and gardens of twisting, growing things. The Prophet scoffed at this. He preferred to enter the city as one of his breed should.

Like a conquering god.

He had chosen to arrive under cover of darkness; not to camouflage himself, but because the mammals, since they were hiding in caves and peering fearfully into the shadows of the wild, had feared the first one to night. Looking down, the Prophet smiled; it was still there. The memory of the superstitious peasants was undimmed, despite the absence of eight hundred seasons of the great Flamyltox. They need remembered the words of one of his kind. Now, he would give them another proclamation.

The enormous black dragon alighted on Dragon Roost Rock, in the center of Niole Dra. The creature's titanic weight did not budge the rock one bit; Flamyltox had nested here, and his mass was even greater than the Prophet's own. Wings of inky darkness furled around him, cloak-like.

The dragon recognized the King instantly. Not by the gaudy piece of metal on his head, but because he was the only one to break the line of fearful guardsmen and had the courage to ignore the fear his presence caused and approach. The Prophet scowled at the man. He knew of this one – strong of heart and arm – and he was not to be underestimated. His hair was graying, but his hands betrayed that
this was no simpering fop-king.

The Prophet let out a low rumble and slowly lowered his great head to the level of the King, looking eye-to-eye. The creature's head looked like a scorched, horned skull. It took a tentative sniff in the air and recoiled somewhat. It regarded the King with new hatred, and scowled. "You bear Nightbane, mammal," he snarled, regarding the blade at the King's hip with rage. "Do you mean to test yourself
against me?"

"No," said the King. He spoke carefully and evenly. No trace of a tremor was heard in his voice. Yes, the dragon mused, this was a formidable human indeed. "This weapon was gifted to my family by the hero that used it, years ago, to slay one of your ilk in the swamps of Steffenmoor to the south."

The dragon growled. He desired to snatch this arrogant warm-blooded wretch and swallow him with a single gulp, but the human's reputation, his poise, the blade at his hip, and the orders of the dragon's master all served to keep the dragon in check. "I am Aulicus. I am the Prophet. I bring a gift for you, King Kimbertos Skotti, House of Lizhal, Lord of the Lion Throne."

"A gift?"

The beast released a hiss. "A prophecy. To foretell of that which will come."

"Then speak," said the King. The old man's eyes blazed; he was unafraid. "Speak, and begone from my city."

"WRETCH!" the Prophet bellowed. Drippings of acid dribbled excitedly down the beast's maw, bubbling the cobblestones where they fell. Its voice dropped to a throaty rumble. "Listen well, King of Keoland. The prophecy is thus:"

"From one, you will hear tell of three."
"Find these three, and you will find three."
"Within that three, beware of one."

The King's eyes narrowed. "Why tell me this?"

The dragon unfurled its great wings, slowly rising. "You may find," he said, alighting his massive bulk into the air with an impossibly powerful stroke of his wings, "that although you have many allies that are secretly enemies, some of your enemies may ultimately become allies."

The King watched the great beast disappear to the southwest. He watched it go, and touched the crown on his head. It seemed to grow just a little bit heavier.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases