Greek-inspired Odyssey of the Dragonlords From ex-Bioware designers On Kickstarter

Odyssey of the Dragonlords, a Greek myth inspired D&D setting by ex-Bioware designers Jesse Sky and James Ohlen is now on Kickstarter. It's a 280-page book being co-published by Modiphius (who now officially publish all the RPGs ever written, I think!) and describes the world of Thylea.

Players Guide.jpg

You can already download a copy of the Player's Guide. "The booklet contains everything you need to get started as a hero within the world including a brief overview of the world of Thylea, new character backstories, rules for the new Centaur and Satyr races and epic paths for your heroes. This revised edition includes two more martial archetypes as well as updated rules based on your feedback for the Satyr and Centaur races available within the booklet."

And there's a short story called Dragon's Wager, by Drew Karpyshyn, which gives you a look at the setting's flavour.

Odyssey Landscape.jpg

"At the dawn of time, a war between the gods and Titans left the world of Thylea forever changed. Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon. The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance. You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all. Poets will sing of your deeds for centuries to come... if you survive."

Arcanum's World is the publisher created by ex-BioWare lead designers James Ohlen and Jesse Sky (Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, Baldurs Gate I & II, Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: The Old Republic) and Drew Karpyshyn, BioWare senior writer on Mass Effect I & II and Knights of the Old Republic.

Odyssey Titan.jpg

Find it on Kickstarter here.

pukunui

Legend
New stretch goals include nymph and minotaur as playable races and new subclasses, including the Amazonian huntress (ranger) and Oath of the Dragonlord (paladin).

Staffan

Legend
So much Mythic Greek goodness.
I've also backed Arkadia (another 5e mythic Greek Kickstarter). I'm eager to see how these two products compare.

A big difference appears to be that Arkadia is designed as a setting where you do your own stuff, whereas Odyssey of the Dragonlords is built as a campaign with a setting around it. This is rather novel when it comes to TRPG settings, but fairly common with computer games - particularly Bioware's.

For example, look at Dragon Age: Origins. The point of Ferelden is to tell the story of the Warden and the Darkspawn incursion. It's a rather well-done setting, but the things in it are there because they need to be there for the story. Dragonlords seems to be the same in this regard, whereas Arkadia is more like a regular D&D setting.

gyor

Legend
Don't forget that RPG extrodinare, Ken Hite also has a Hellenistika KS on the way. https://handiwork.games/hellenistika

Honestly comparing Hellenistika and Odyssey of the Dragonlords, I'm leaning heavily towards Hellenistika, it's got the Greek flavour, but a much broader setting for one thing.

For another +$5000 for +1 Monster, really, even if the art was half of that, it's one or two pages max. For $5000 it should be more like 10 monsters.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Stretch goals like these always confuse me a little. I'm skeptical that these monsters, areas and so on weren't going to be created anyway. Maybe the art has to be commissioned, but I suspect this supplement was always planned and, as it's probably in a less-finished state, what piece of art gets created for what monster is still in flux.

These "stretch goals" seem more like a way to keep the audience engaged and talking up the project. Which is fine -- this looks like a really high quality project and the art is gorgeous.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's sad to me that as soon as I read ex-Bioware designer I thought Quality RPG.

On the other hand, Quality RPG!
That seems like the opposite of sad. Baldur's Gate 3 (or at least 2.5) from one of the main designers, but for 5E and tabletop? That feels like something a lot of people would be excited about.

I don't know how well successful tabletop third party publishing pays, but I'd love to see more CRPG designers taking their shot in the tabletop space.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
That seems like the opposite of sad. Baldur's Gate 3 (or at least 2.5) from one of the main designers, but for 5E and tabletop? That feels like something a lot of people would be excited about.

I don't know how well successful tabletop third party publishing pays, but I'd love to see more CRPG designers taking their shot in the tabletop space.

I'm sad because "current bioware designer" wouldn't inspire the same thoughts of quality RPG work that "ex-bioware designer" does.

Oh yes I'm excited to see what they will do in the TRPG space, but I'd love a NWN 3, KOTOR 3, or new RPG made by people who make brilliant work.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases