TSR The Making and Breaking of Deities & Demigods

Gods, Demigods, & Heroes was a D&D supplement that I suggested to Gary [Gygax] and it was published in 1976. It presented gods and heroes for D&D. In those days there was no google or internet research features and so I had to do a great deal of library research to get the book done. I used the Golden Bough for a great deal of the legendary treatment. I read all the novels of the authors I mentioned in the book. The concept was a first attempt at combining gods into the game and sold well.

dad.jpg

Note from Morrus -- this is the fourth of Jim Ward's series of articles here on EN World! Upcoming articles include TSR's Amazing Accounting Department, and The Origin of Monty Haul!

Naturally, when AD&D came out the idea to update the gods book was given as an assignment to me. Rob Kuntz was supposed to do half of the writing, but was busy with other things and I ended up writing most of it. This time around for the 1980 release of the book there was a lot more known about role-playing and I included those features in the work.

I was a History and English teacher in Prairie Du Chien at the time, with a family of three young boys and a pleasant wife. I wrote all of the material for the book during one summer vacation in 1979.

In those days there wasn't the internet. I had my own reference books from the last time I designed the pantheons and I spent more hours and hours in the library, again taking notes and ordering books from other libraries. I wanted to add more value to the new work, than what was in the first pantheon version.

The hardest section to write was the Cthulhu mythology. I had to read all of the Lovecraft books. There were other writers of that type of genre, like August Derleth, but Gary Gygax and I talked it out and decided to just use the plentiful Lovecraft material. The hard part was that those books are truly scary. I read all of them in three months. For months afterward I had nightmares and constantly looked over my shoulder looking in the shadows for nasty things. Dealing with those dark concepts was a trial for the happy go lucky James M. Ward, but I persevered.

Gary gave me a format to use that was much like a monster manual listing. That was fine with me as it gave me an order and focus for each listing. I was given a thousand pieces of photocopied sheets. I put each one in my nonelectric typewriter and I typed up the deities, monsters, heroes, and other things of the pantheon. In the creation of each pantheon I did the exact same thing. I made a list of the deities. I placed an imagined value on their power and influence. This caused me to list them as greater or lesser deities. For example I had Zeus as a greater god, Artemis was listed as a lesser goddess, Heracles was listed as a demi-god for his half god parent. In the research for all the pantheons I came across creatures and heroes that were added to the pantheon. Then I looked at each character and the legends about them and made up magic statistics on the items that legends reported. I sent each pantheon for Gary to review and generally he liked all of them.

I can remember we had a debate over the hit points of the gods. I wanted the leader of the gods in each pantheon to have 1,000 hit points. Gary wanted them to have 400. His point was that they couldn't be killed on the prime material plane. If any deity were killed in a battle with player characters their spirit of some type would go back to their home plane and reform. There was no arguing with that logic. That discussion caused me to invent the Plane of Concordant Opposition among the planes that Gary put together.

I would like to use this forum to set some small bit of controversy straight from my point of view. When I first started outlining the book, Gary Gygax told me there might be a copyright problem with the Lovecraft and Moorcock sections of the book. Gary gave me the addresses of those two groups and suggested I get permission from them to print those sections of the book. I immediately sent out the two letters and a month later got positive replies back from both groups. They were pleased to get their concepts mention in the book. I foolishly gave those letters to the TSR legal department (I wish I had them to show you now). The book was printed and published in 1980 to wide acclaim. Fans liked the mention of temples and divine magic items. They liked the references to monsters associated with this or that religion.

TSR received a cease and desist order from Chaosium. In 1981 Chaosium printed Cthulhu and Elric set of role-playing games and naturally didn't want a competitor doing the same thing. Please note that I don't blame them a bit. They had contracts with those two groups and were supposed to defend their rights to the trademark. Those two groups should have mentioned to TSR that they were signing contracts with another company. I wouldn't have put those pantheons in the book in that event. There are literally hundreds of other pantheons that could have been included. It is my belief that if TSR had gone to California with those two letters and gone to court, the company would have been allowed to continue publishing. In those days TSR management didn't think they had the money to hire a California lawyer, fly out to California where the case would be judged, and take the case to court. They decided to remove those two sections and continue publishing the book.

I'm happy to report that Michael Moorcock was nice enough to declare in print that he did indeed give TSR and myself permission to write about his works.

Naturally, I wasn't pleased because I had gone through the work of getting permission for those two sections. I immediately offered to write two new sections free of charge to TSR. Management said no. Every year since then, some goofy fan on the message boards claims that TSR stole those two concepts and put them in the book. I don't like being accused of plagiarism. I'm here to say I did my due diligence and didn't get the chance to make the situation better.

Jim Ward

Jim Ward

Drawmij the Wizard

Radaceus

Adventurer
It's in the MCU so it must be true.

To be fair, Pegasus, is a unique creature of the Greek mythos. I think Gary and crew are having a little fun here, embellishing on both their adaptation of Pegasus into a species, and the horse riding Valkyries ability to fly ( as per the poem Helgakviða Hundingsbana, in the Völsungakviða edda).

Arial Black

Adventurer
I can say its presentation of Scandinavian animisms is ... inaccurate.

You mean, they got Thor's hit points wrong?

Same goes for Native American animisms.

Vedic texts are sacred texts to modern Hindus.

Well, 'inaccuracy' may be an appropriate criticism of a scholarly work on the subject, but here:-

* the very idea that it's even possible to be 'accurate' regarding a system of belief which changed over 100s of years, that you could capture a moment in time and perfectly replicate those beliefs as 'accurate', is absurd. It would be rendered inaccurate when not talking about that specific time

* even different adherents active at the exact same time have different ideas about what is 'true' regarding their religion! Asking a gaming product to do the impossible shows that this objection cannot rationally apply

* Deities & Demigods is/was a gaming supplement. It was designed with certain goals in mind: to provide the DM with gods and pantheons of gods to use in his campaign world, to inspire further study....to be a game supplement, not an 'accurate' scholarly work!

So until D&D players become mature enough to talk about....Atheism and other traditions...

What now?

...Atheism and other traditions...

Atheism? Tradition? What are you on about? Atheism is a tradition in the same way as 'Not Collecting Stamps' is a hobby! The word 'atheist' tells you absolutely nothing regarding what an atheist believes, only that there is one thing that they do not believe, which is the literal existence of any gods.

What would the 'Atheist Tradition' section of Deities & Demigods look like? Twelve blank pages? The day of the week that is set aside for atheists to not attend any church? What they do with the 10% of their money that they aren't compelled to give away? How many hit points 'No God' has?

...with some sensitivity, we are probably not mature enough to talk about other reallife spiritual heritages either.

It's a mistake to conflate 'real life' and 'spiritual life'. They are mutually exclusive concepts.

Sure, you come across as knowing a lot about dead religions. Well done you. But your criticism of a D&D game supplement for 'inaccuracy' is misplaced. I will continue to enjoy the Marvel comics version of a blond, clean-shaven 'Thor' despite knowing the 'inaccuracies', because the goal of the comics is to entertain, not to be a dissertation on Scandinavian culture intended to get tenure from Harvard!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Atheism? Tradition? What are you on about? Atheism is a tradition in the same way as 'Not Collecting Stamps' is a hobby! The word 'atheist' tells you absolutely nothing regarding what an atheist believes, only that there is one thing that they do not believe, which is the literal existence of any gods.

What would the 'Atheist Tradition' section of Deities & Demigods look like? Twelve blank pages? The day of the week that is set aside for atheists to not attend any church? What they do with the 10% of their money that they aren't compelled to give away? How many hit points 'No God' has?

Pretty sure Atheism was in fact tackled by D&D, though. Planescape included the Athar which did not believe in gods. This is what the Athar believed.

"The "gods" are liars, every single one of them - liars and frauds. They aren't deities. They're mortals - extremely powerful mortals, to be sure, but nothing more. They are given to petty emotions, they require sustenance in the form of prayers and the belief of their followers, and, when denied that, they die. Think about it: If the deities really are the source of all creation, why is it that many clerics can cast divine magic without devoting themselves to any deity? There may indeed be an omnipotent entity (or collection of entities) responsible for making and tending reality, but if so, that power must be completely incomprehensible to the minds of mere mortals. Members of the organization known as the Athar refer to this theoretical true god as "the Great Unknown.""

2e also had clerics that could gain spells to 2nd level on belief in anything. It didn't need to be a god. That takes care of the "traditions" complaint. 3e went even further on this score and allowed full spell casting for clerics who don't have gods.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasper

Rotten DM
Im not sure what needs to be sourced. This is common knowledge.

Dellingr is dawn.

Sunlight is the alfar and by extension Freyr in the sense of good sunshower weather for fertile crops.

Sunlight (corona, rays, beams, gleams) is distinct from the sun disk, who is Sól.

Regarding Baldr. For example, Simek discusses the obscure (and perhaps complex) etymology, and concludes his name means ‘shining day’, which most archeologists accept. The Saxon cognate of Baldr is Baldag, where ‘dag’ means ‘day’.

Norse texts describe Baldr shining all light. His home is a place called ‘broad radiance’.

Note daylight is luminous in beauty, but daylight is also the ‘wisest’ being, luminous and perceptive of mind.
hhhaaaa Young Martian you don't grok. What is Common knowledge for you is a
400 Level College Course on Myth and Religion in Europe
000 Brand new knowledge I never heard of till I read your posts.
PS I find amusing the use of "GroK" which is made up word by an old white guy.

To be fair, Pegasus, is a unique creature of the Greek mythos. I think Gary and crew are having a little fun here, embellishing on both their adaptation of Pegasus into a species, and the horse riding Valkyries ability to fly ( as per the poem Helgakviða Hundingsbana, in the Völsungakviða edda).

If you want to be sensible, myths continue to develop over time, and Valkyries have been depicted riding winged horses for a long time - in paintings, in productions of Wagner etc. In D&D a winged horse is called a pegasus, after the unique Greek winged horse, so it is perfectly valid to state that Valkyries ride pegasii (meaning winged horses).

Yaarel

He Mage
You mean, they got Thor's hit points wrong?

Heh, Deitities & Demigods actually got that part right.

The Norse nature beings are mortals, rather than immortals, and Þórr and other æsir are potentially killable.

The æsir can die of old age for example, and keep themselves young by the use of magic.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I resent someone on a message board providing a narrow definition of "god", then telling me I should ascribe to that, and furthermore I should judge other works by this narrow definition.

I do not resent a fantasy book for providing a narrow definition of "god" that enables play of the game in a certain way. At the end of the day, any set of game rules is just one possible manifestation of things, and has no bearing on what I actually do or believe in my life. If it aids the gameplay, I can play by those rules when I choose to play the game.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases