D&D 2E Returning to 2nd Edition

As presented in the core books, the rules for XP and advancement have the same authority as the rules that prescribe the damage of an attack with a long sword or the range of a fireball spell. DMs who choose to adapt the pace of leveling to the specific needs of their groups, in this sense, are using a house rule.
ALL rules are house rules. The ones that are printed in books are just the ones that everybody starts with and have no greater "authority" than what the DM and players agree to give them. Whether a particular edition has ever said it in so many words or not, the printed rules are subject to change, sometimes even at the mere whim of the DM. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should, and if the players and DM disagree strongly enough on the changes a compromise needs to be found, but that still doesn't mean the printed rules have the final authority.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I have but had a page of houserules and I used BAB over THACO. Dumped level limits, buffed humans kept racial and alignment restrictions.

It's better balanced than 3E and you can use it as s 2.5 or hard core OSR. And you can play the settings bas intended.

2E is the best toolbox D&D as well.

What buffs did you give humans?

ALL rules are house rules. The ones that are printed in books are just the ones that everybody starts with and have no greater "authority" than what the DM and players agree to give them.

I agree with you that, in the context of a given group, the RAW have no more authority than any house rule they choose to apply to their games. Saying that all rules are house rules, though, is the strangest relativization of the concept of house rule that I've ever seen. One rule is written in the manual for general use, other is adopted by a specific group, in a specific situation, to suit their specific needs. Those are very different categories, as far as the nature of game rules matters for any discussion.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I love the way that Dave “zeb” cook wrote PHB 2E. Almost everything was listed as an optional rule. You will not find an official rule for initiative. Just several different optional rules.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Just a notion, but while they might all be optional, that doesn't mean there aren't elements of internal balance. Changing random rules without some foresight and planning is like managing an acne problem with a chainsaw. Unintended consequences could be rife.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Just a notion, but while they might all be optional, that doesn't mean there aren't elements of internal balance. Changing random rules without some foresight and planning is like managing an acne problem with a chainsaw. Unintended consequences could be rife.

Yes. 2E was an edition where it was the DM’s job to bring balance to the game. Some optional rules changes the balance. 2E may not be for some people. I have no problem balancing a 2E game on the fly. But I’ve been doing it for over 30 years. This was just kind of expected by my generation imho. You were supposed to customize for the type of setting or game you wanted to play.

alienux

Explorer
I've been tempted for the last couple of years to go back and completely re-read my 2E PHB and DMG. I've skimmed through them several times in the last few years, but I've considered reading through enough to play a module or two, but I haven't yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases