Have you ever played a pacifist character?

[MENTION=6801225]Igwilly[/MENTION], I think that the murder hobo term comes from the fact that some players are more focused on the mechanics and combat than anything else. Their PCs go from dungeon to dungeon killing and looting only to do it again and again. The kind of PCs that have more GP value in their clothing than the entire kingdom's treasury but don't have two coppers to rub together to afford a night at the sleaziest inn in town. The kind of PCs that cannot even remember the name of the king that sent them off on their quest in the first place and think Monty Haul is their best friend.
[MENTION=30438]Ralif Redhammer[/MENTION] I proposed a healer that suffered from hemophobia as a character. It was shot down pretty quick.

Hahahah, that's a gleefully contrary character concept!

Yeah, in some ways, while a murderhobo might do a lot of the things a regular PC would do, there’s little-to-nothing in them beyond kill the monster/NPC and take the stuff. Little-to-no investment in the world the DM is trying to craft, and little-to-no personality. Just a bundle of mechanics strung together.

To be fair, there’s nothing wrong with appreciating the thrill of combat and the rewards of treasure. But when that’s all a PC cares about, it makes DMing for them much less interesting, and gives me less to work with to craft interesting and involving adventures.

But, getting back to pacifism in D&D, another concept could use the Rogue-Mastermind class. The ability to use the Aid action from afar, and as a bonus action, can really be helpful. That, plus the Expertise feature, would still make for a contributing PC.

[MENTION=6801225]Igwilly[/MENTION], I think that the murder hobo term comes from the fact that some players are more focused on the mechanics and combat than anything else. Their PCs go from dungeon to dungeon killing and looting only to do it again and again. The kind of PCs that have more GP value in their clothing than the entire kingdom's treasury but don't have two coppers to rub together to afford a night at the sleaziest inn in town. The kind of PCs that cannot even remember the name of the king that sent them off on their quest in the first place and think Monty Haul is their best friend.
[MENTION=30438]Ralif Redhammer[/MENTION] I proposed a healer that suffered from hemophobia as a character. It was shot down pretty quick.

was

Adventurer
...I haven't run one. I have seen bard and cleric characters who were non-violent and argued against violence. In combat, these folks usually helped out by casting defensive and healing spells.

Lylandra

Adventurer
As a side note, my first, noobish D&D character was actually a rather peaceful bard in a planescape campaign who tried to talk to *everyone* ("Greetings, dear ogre!"). Back then, my players followed good ol' Capt'n Kirk's habit of shooting first, asking questions later, so she eventually got fed up with them and started complaining about their violence. Later, our DM took a pity on me and had her actually befriend a Balor wizard who happened to save our lives more than once (ironically he had to save us because of our player's violent habits in diplomatic situations... you simply don't murder an ambassador on sight just because he's a drow and you're an elf...). Our own wizard then slowly adopted the art of diplomacy-fu, so I guess it still counts as a success story :)

Remove ads