The Next Dungeons & Dragons Storyline Will Be...

And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...
And the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition is...

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! The plot will focus on an urban treasure hunt and a focus on urban and city-based adventures with special rules for running games in that environment. The adventure itself will have variable goals and antagonists similar to the original I6: Ravenloft module, where the DM chooses what "villain" will be the secret villain of the campaign, which will change outcomes of various events. The adventure itself will also have downtime built into the adventure along with the ability to own property in Waterdeep. The adventure for Level 1-5 will be released on September 18, 2018, with an MSRP of $49.95.

A second announcement is anticipated later this weekend, as the product codenamed "Catacombs" has a release date of November 20 and is also a 256-page hardcover book. This would make Waterdeep: Dragon Heist the codename "Broadway" (which also had a custom dice release announced for solicitation last year with the other products, including "Marathon" which turned out to be Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes).

Wizards of the coast made the announcement as part of a weekend-long live streaming event on their Twitch channel, "Stream of Many Eyes". Other products announced during the live stream include updates to the Neverwinter MMO and its Barovia expansion, a new official history artbook about Dungeons & Dragons with images throughout the history of the game, and a new series of boxed sets with props and handouts for published adventures released so far as well as for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.

This article will be updated with more information as the Wizards of the Coast live stream continues.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

No announcement yet. And ya, possible it isn’t today. I think think the announcement happens this weekend. Maybe tomorrow since it’s only 4 Games so time slots are more open.
Doesn't sound like any more news today.

But here's the thing... we also haven't heard from Gale Force 9 or WizKids who tend to do a bunch of products tied to the storyline. No board game, no prepainted miniature set, no DM screen, no resin deluxe minis, etc. And the Neverwinter announcement is based on Ravenloft, which launches in June and is unrelated.
That's a LOT of announcements.

I really think they might be planning a second event or later reveal where they show off all the other stuff that's associated with the November release.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
So...I watched that entire stream... I am glad that Wizards of the Coast put so much effort into it. I'm thrilled that thousands of people watched live and enjoyed it. I was not one of them. This was not a thing for me. Not everything needs to be a thing for me. I'm cool with that.

But I asked various representatives from Wizards of the Coast at various levels in various mediums - as press - if they were doing any product announcements during today's stream and the only response I got was a coy "Maybe *winky smile*". So I have officially wasted my entire day because WotC wouldn't do the simple courtesy of just telling me "No, we're not doing any product announcements today".

WotC is not beholden to your schedule. Your decision to watch the stream on the chance that there might have been a reveal, so you could know immediately, was yours. You were not coerced.
If you didn't care about the stream, there are alternate venues where you can get the news of a new product announcement (notably, the one we are on now). I have no sympathy for you.

Abstruse

Legend
WotC is not beholden to your schedule. Your decision to watch the stream on the chance that there might have been a reveal, so you could know immediately, was yours. You were not coerced.
If you didn't care about the stream, there are alternate venues where you can get the news of a new product announcement (notably, the one we are on now). I have no sympathy for you.

Who do you think WROTE this column?

Abstruse

Legend
Oh forgive me. I forgot you were the only person watching the stream capable of sharing the news

I am sure the news might have taken at least five minutes more to appear had you not shared it. :p
Considering I'm the only news writer for EN World that was available today to cover this...no, it wouldn't have been up until Monday if I didn't cover it.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Considering I'm the only news writer for EN World that was available today to cover this...no, it wouldn't have been up until Monday if I didn't cover it.

Okay fine. I concede your point. But there were thousands of us watching this stream for our own enjoyment. So it rubs me a little wrong to see you complaining that WotC was refusing to give you inside information and failed to deliver on something you hypothesized.

WotC was very clear about what hour of what day the new book would be announced and made no further promises. This entire event was set up to disseminate infirmation. Does being press make you believe you are entitled to more information sooner than the rest of us? Or course WotC teased you the way they did. You basically asked if the final day was worth warching. Were they supposed to say 'No? "

Abstruse

Legend
Were they supposed to say 'No? "
Yes. They should have. That's pretty standard if you're doing product announcements to let the press know when those announcements are so they can properly cover them and allocate resources appropriately. So if it's a staff reporter, the news outlet isn't wasting that reporter's salary having them sit around doing nothing or, for freelancers, so they're not spending all day they could be working on paying work losing out on that work because if they don't have news to write about, they don't get paid. I promise you that none of the game companies at E3 are going to make companies sit around for eight hours saying "Maybe we'll have an announcement, maybe we won't, who knows? LOL" Even Devolver Digital only does that for an hour...

Remove ads

Remove ads