D&D 5E Psychic Class

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I have just uploaded Psychic Class to the downloads area.

[MENTION=58172]Yaarel[/MENTION] made me do it!

Story-wise, I called it the "Psychic" because it's kind of part-way between the classic D&D psionicist and the modern pop-culture depiction of a person with psychic powers. I wanted to cover character concepts like Eleven, Firestarter, Jean Grey, Professor X, and the Shadow. The subclasses are meant to represent these story archetypes rather than being tied to particular abilities.

Mechanics-wise, the class is a full spellcaster because that's just easiest to balance and it seems to work. It uses spells-known but with a sharply limited spell list, built up from "disciplines" -- each psychic picks what disciplines they know, which in turn determines their spell list. The psychic can enhance their spells by spending extra spell slots when casting.

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

Last edited:

Kristiano Tiago

First Post
For me, this is way better than the mystic class presented in Unearthed Arcana.

Question: Is this class OGL? May I use it on my own website (creating new Thought Patterns suitable to urban fantasy campaigns)?

Anyway, great work!

Zardnaar

Legend
Not bad I think I would let this class use the spell point variant rule and rename it to PSP's or something to make it a bit different to the normal spellcasters.

Can I steal it for my Darksun game and tweak it to spell points?

stuffnsuch

Explorer
Meditative Recovery

Can I check that this ability was intended to be double the strength of a wizard's Arcane Recovery which uses half their wizard level in order to balance out their Discipline Understanding mechanic?

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Yes, that was the idea. Plus, this subclass doesn't get much oomph other than more "spells known," so I feel like they are already behind the wizard in some respects, and giving them double the recovery felt fine. In hindsight I should have probably phrased this ability similar to Arcane Recovery to make it really clear that it was double-strength.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
FYI, I have a new version of this class that uses power points instead of spell slots. The power points recover on a short rest, and it's pretty sweet. I just want to clean it up a little before posting to make sure I haven't messed up any math too badly.

Remove ads