New D&D Monsters and More in Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica

Do you want dozens of new D&D monsters from Wizards of the Coast? Does exploring a planet spanning city via membership in one of ten competing guilds sound challenging? If you play or DM Dungeons & Dragons, then Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica will have something for you. Gleaned from WotC interviews and news, this is what we know so far about Ravnica.

Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica, releasing in November, is thoroughly a D&D book for D&D players. Magic the Gathering uses colors in the metagame but flavor text on cards do not mention colors. The colors would be meaningless in a D&D world. Guilds are defined based on philosophy not color. The setting focuses on adventurers, not MtG play. An example is new full page art depicting an adventuring party in the rain with four different guild members on a bridge behind them. An image that is grounded in D&D game play.

Ravnica’s ten guilds serve as both government and voluntary organizations. They clash with opposing philosophies and goals. The traditional magical power keeping the peace is the guildpact. The guildpact currently flows from one man and he is often on other planes, leaving Ravnica open to guild intrigue and tension filled conflict.

The guild is the lens through which the PCs see the world. A player may select a guild in place of a background. Guilds are more about exploration and interaction than combat. Guilds provide skills, special abilities, and NPC contacts. The DM looks at all of the PCs’ guilds and builds a campaign around opposing guilds. Advice covers good guilds to serve as adversaries, plots to oppose the PCs, typical NPCs and monsters to use, and what locations would fit the campaign. The players‘ guild choice combined with the advice for DMs provides a solid direction for a campaign.

James Wyatt gives brief guild descriptions. The Boros Legion are paladins, armored mages wielding fire, and military forces. The Golgari Swarm are sewer dwelling elves living in darkness, using insects, and wielding necromancy. The Selesnya Conclave is a cult speaking in one voice and trying to convert others. House Dimir consists of spies and assassins. The Orzhov Syndicate are a combination of organized crime, bank, and church. The Izzet League is home to inventors and conduct grand experiments. The Gruul Clans combine fiery emotion with a connection to the natural world expressed through barbarian clans. The Azorius Senate governs Ravnica and enforces the law. The Cult of Rakdos is a demonic cult circus. The Simic Combine masters life science and is heavily into body modification and hybrid creatures.

D&D players will benefit from a plethora of new content and rules. The number of new monsters nearly equals those in Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes. Rules playtested in Unearthed Arcana debuting officially include new races (centaurs, minotaurs, loxodons, Simic hybrids, vedalken, and viashino), the order domain for clerics, and the circle of spores druid subclass. City design in Guildmasters’ provides local description and street level information rather than block by block descriptions. Maps are isometric and have a painted look.

Monsters from Ravnica could easily cross over to other D&D worlds. The circus in Waterdeep from Dragon Heist could be filled with monsters from Ravnica. And the Cult of Rakdos could actually be that circus. The chase rules in Dragon Heist could be used in Ravnica.

Sources for information from WotC on the upcoming book include the official website, a Wizards of the Coast podcast called Dragon Talk with James Wyatt and Greg Tito, and D&D Beyond on YouTube with James Wyatt, Mike Mearls, and Ari Levitch. James Wyatt started merging Magic the Gathering with D&D in his Plane Shift articles. Guilds of Ravnica for MtG releases on October 5 while the D&D Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica releases on November 20.

This article was contributed by Charles Dunwoody as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am glad you have the time for develop you own setting and homebrew material. Unfortunately I don't have so much time, so I need the official settings. I can use FR o Eberron (after the play-test that will last for some time), but I prefer other settings and those settings were promised a long time ago. And probably also you in the future will lack the time for develop your own material. As you said, you are probably biased :)

They have expressly never promised anything for 5E. They have expressed broad long-term goals.

Hussar

Legend
Just a bit of context to [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION]'s point about the settings and the survey that WotC did. The survey in question was asking what settings would people like updated. It wasn't really asking if people played in one setting or another. The survey was, to some degree, kinda self selecting. If you didn't play in any of those settings, it's unlikely you would answer.

They have expressly never promised anything for 5E. They have expressed broad long-term goals.

I agree. WotC made it clear they wanted to tell stories with D&D which is why we're getting so many adventure paths. Actually getting a hardcover setting thrills me as it indicates they are willing to venture out a bit now.

Muso

Explorer
Experiments designed for and aimed squarely at making money: there is no difference. TSR made so many settings because they wanted money, plain and simple. Waiting twenty years to cross the Streams can hardly be called a quick money grab, in comparison.

Obviously TSR wanted to make money (as WotC/Hasbro now). They are not here for our pleasure, but to make money. That's pretty clear to everyone. On the other hand, some books were clearly just an intent to squeeze money from the D&D fans (and a lot of people at that time was not really happy with those manuals), while others were a gamble and - even if it was not sure to get easy money from them - they was a success. For example TSR didn't come out with another Manual of the Planes - a potential easy-seller - but produced Planescape with the factions and a game full of moral questions. That was a lucky gamble. We cannot say the same for Spelljammer for example.
This is the difference for me: a commercial operation producing easy money or some experimentation that can also turn out to be a flop. Probably at that time people at TSR had more courage (or were more crazy) than the present D&D designers.

Muso

Explorer

OK, probably they never explicitly promised the old settings. But, come on, there is from the play-test at the very begin of the 5E that the designers talk about this or that setting of old. They created a lot of hipe and now they cannot say that it was just a joke.

dave2008

Legend
I am glad you have the time for develop you own setting and homebrew material. Unfortunately I don't have so much time, so I need the official settings. I can use FR o Eberron (after the play-test that will last for some time), but I prefer other settings and those settings were promised a long time ago. And probably also you in the future will lack the time for develop your own material. As you said, you are probably biased :)

My point was that WotC is most concerned with the majority of D&D players. Only about 10-15% of the market (at most) has the desire for a particular setting other than homebrew and FR. They simply cannot focus on that small of a market and make the money they need to under their current model. 5e has only been out for 4years, nothing was promised that long ago. Heck, we switched to 5e in 2014/2015 and my PCs are still only at 12th level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Obviously TSR wanted to make money (as WotC/Hasbro now). They are not here for our pleasure, but to make money. That's pretty clear to everyone. On the other hand, some books were clearly just an intent to squeeze money from the D&D fans (and a lot of people at that time was not really happy with those manuals), while others were a gamble and - even if it was not sure to get easy money from them - they was a success. For example TSR didn't come out with another Manual of the Planes - a potential easy-seller - but produced Planescape with the factions and a game full of moral questions. That was a lucky gamble. We cannot say the same for Spelljammer for example.
This is the difference for me: a commercial operation producing easy money or some experimentation that can also turn out to be a flop. Probably at that time people at TSR had more courage (or were more crazy) than the present D&D designers.

Spelljammer is considered successful by many. At any rate, Ravnica is a passion project for Wyatt, so it is easily in the same catagory as any old TSR product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OK, probably they never explicitly promised the old settings. But, come on, there is from the play-test at the very begin of the 5E that the designers talk about this or that setting of old. They created a lot of hipe and now they cannot say that it was just a joke.

They continue to talk about and make plans: they are in it for the Long haul, not a quick buck.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I wasn’t initailly going to pick this one up but now I’m on the fence out of curiousity.

also did I miss a new post on the site that mentioned Wyatt released another planeshift pdf? Dominaria is on the dmsguild August 14.

dave2008

Legend
Probably at that time people at TSR had more courage (or were more crazy) than the present D&D designers.

I am not sure how RPG companies work, but I would guess that it is not the designers call. If it was simply up to the designers I bet we would get all kinds of wacky stuff.

EDIT. I myself am a designer (but not RPGs) so I know some of the wacky stuff we can think up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases