D&D 4E Mike Mearls on how D&D 4E could have looked

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving...

OK on this "I would’ve much preferred the ability to adopt any role within the core 4 by giving players a big choice at level 1, an option that placed an overlay on every power you used or that gave you a new way to use them."
Basically have Source Specific Powers and less class powers. But I think combining that with having BIG differing stances to dynamically switch role might be a better idea so that your hero can adjust role to circumstance. I have to defend this NPC right now vs I have to take down the big bad right now vs I have to do minion cleaning right now, I am inspiring allies in my interesting way, who need it right now.

and the obligatory
Argghhhh on this. " I wanted classes to have different power acquisition schedules"

And thematic differences seemed to have been carried fine.

darkbard

Legend
I have to admit, it's really, REALLY funny watching people who hate a game, hardly if ever played a game, trying to argue with people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with the game. It really is amusing.

Even though I awarded you XPs for this already, it's worth restating. [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION], [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION], etc. seem to be here for the argument (for argument's sake) as they've proven over the course of many, many threads like this in the past (as well as this one) that they have no real interest in 4E ... other than to jump in on the hate.

Imaro

Legend
I have to admit, it's really, REALLY funny watching people who hate a game, hardly if ever played a game, trying to argue with people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with the game. It really is amusing.

Do you mean 4e or 5e?

Imaro

Legend
Even though I awarded you XPs for this already, it's worth restating. [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION], [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION], etc. seem to be here for the argument (for argument's sake) as they've proven over the course of many, many threads like this in the past (as well as this one) that they have no real interest in 4E ... other than to jump in on the hate.

Lol... disagreement is hate, got it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

4E was an interesting experiment, with some solid ideas. Thinking about why it didn't ultimately work is fruitful, for me at least. I've learned a lot in this thread.

MwaO

Adventurer

I finally hit the point of putting two of them on ignore. It was enough.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is a Move Action to navigate Blocking Terrain.

That is either 1 of 2 things:

1) Its an inconsequential obstacle for the Tier of play, so just "say yes", you move at half your Speed, and give up CA while you're Climbing.

2) The fiction of the obstacle makes it a Tier-relevant threat, therefore climbing it is a Terrain Stunt, therefore the DC should be either Easy, Moderate, or Hard for the Encounter Level. Deploy Climbing rules.

This reads as identical to the process I quoted from the 5E DMG earlier.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

I was just thinking that it is really funny watching people with hundreds if not thousands of hours of experience with a game struggling to find actual written examples to support their house rules while at the same time wondering why the designers of the game dont understand it.

Hussar

Legend
Yes, 1d4 for one minute with Concentration while chanting and waving your hands. Not so hot if you need to spend twenty minutes sneaking through an area.

There is narrative parity, yes.

What?

1. First off, you don't keep casting while concentrating. So, no, you aren't waving and chanting. You cast the spell and you're done. That's why I can cast other spells while concentrating.

2. How many skill checks am I making? Wouldn't it be a single Stealth check? Or do you seriously force your players to reroll every ongoing skill check every six seconds?

Just how far are you going to reach on this?

Of course, that's ignoring the druid who gives +10 to stealth checks to the entire party for an hour. Yup, it cost a spell slot, but, what can your fighter do that comes even remotely close to that?

Hussar

Legend
Do you mean 4e or 5e?

I easily have several hundred hours of play and DMing experience in 5e. Can you say the same with 4e? Actually, that's not true, we've been playing weekly for 4 years now (a bit more actually), so, figure about 150 hours of play per year, that's about 600 hours of play in 5e

You've played what, a handful of sessions in 4e?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads