Skills used by players on other players.

G

Guest 6801328

I realize you are very confident on your stance and that trying to bring enlightenment to the unenlightened but if you stopped for just a moment and actually considered his posts as not wrong but from a different correct viewpoint you might actually see that point of view(not agree with it perhaps or want to play that way but at least see that his view isn't based on fallacy but a different view on the rules and spirit of the game).

What it all boils down to for the Skills are rolled verse other players crowd is role playing.

See there just are not any/many rules on role playing. Yes I think maybe somewhere there might be a paragraph about you are supposed to try and actually play your character as not you but instead as a different person and try and keep that personality as different than yours. Like being a actor. Actors do not play a character how THEY want that character to behave but instead how that CHARACTER would react. If the actor is anti-gun in political views the pro-gun character doesn't suddenly change views because he is being played by that particular actor.

In D&D there is little to help a player do this. Almost nothing.

So a great many players do not do this. They run those characters as just basically themselves. Oh sure they might realize and have to deal with different physical capabilities because the game mechanics make them but mental ones? There aren't many at all. A save mod for certain things ect is about it. So it's no wonder they do not think very much about those stats at all. Why not dump your lowest scores into those slots as there is very little drawback! In the vast majority of games they can have a 6 int and still be the brain of the group! Still come up with all the plans and be the one to figure out all the riddles and puzzles ect... It's a game like Poker man, just chill out and lets hack some stuff.

And you know what? if that's what your table wants to do and is having a blast doing then .....there is nothing wrong with that.

Different strokes for different folks.

At my table however, I would like players to not be themselves playing a pen and paper video game. I would rather them role play there characters and that means doing NOT what their players would do but what there characters would do. If one of my players created a extremely foolish pampered dandy PC and wanted to play out his slowly changing over time to a battle hardened veteran soldier, then at 2nd level when the bard of the party tried to con him into doing something foolish and using the Dandies ego to do so i would expect that player to role play that out. Probably with a persuasion roll contested by insight and if that Dandy failed the roll I would hope the Dandy would be role played appropriately.

This is one of the best things about playing rpg's.

It isn't about the DM telling anyone what they think. It isn't one player trying to get over on another. It's role playing.

Now as I said. If you and your group don't have fun doing that and do things totally differently then I'm fine with that. You do YOU! I don't say that while secretly looking down on your point of view. I get it. Your all good man.

I have played this dang game for 41 years this Christmas. I know from experience there are a VAST many ways to play the game. None of them wrong.(ok thats a lie, I have seen a few that are wrong but only because they were unfun for the people playing or predatory towards some of there members, but other than those few cases none of them wrong).

I guess my mistake when I got frustrated the other night and came to post this thread was not aiming it at one particular set of gamer.

As a topic for discussion to the entire play style arena at large of course it was bound to draw ire and fire from styles that just do not agree with the entire premise of my style(of the moment).

That style currently appreciates(at times) inter-party conflict on a wide range of levels as long as those arise from role playing reasons with an eye kept strongly on what is fun for all parties.

In my original post I should have made all this more clear and also mentioned motivation. At the time the player at issue was not a strong role player(but he is coming along slowly in that direction) who suddenly refused to take another players role playing in character into account and refused to role play the fictional character HE had built but instead just wanted to go hack stuff and ignore the role playing portion of the game.He also had a bad week and was a very moody player at the game table as sometimes happens to us all.

Ah, ah another "you're not really roleplaying" argument.

Sorry. No.

You are defining roleplaying in a very narrow, and I think uninteresting, way.

Sure, SOME players will take the liberty offered by other forms of roleplaying to simply powergame/metagame. But that doesn't mean giving players narrative freedom results in bad roleplaying.

If your goal with strict reliance on dice roles is to force people to roleplay, you are going to be sadly disappointed. Your better option is to not game with the people who don't play in the way you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
For me, control can't be the deciding factor here. The DM doesn't control the PC when they call for a climb check or a perception check, any more than they do when they call for an insight check.

I must have missed when this became about insight instead of persuasion. Regardless...

The control point is one about knowledge. The DM has the information needed to determine if a PC attempting to climb something is uncertain (he has the pc abilities, the surface, the equipment, the time pressure, etc) and he takes all that into account when determining whether it’s uncertain. With persuasion, He can’t know the PC in questions thoughts to be able to make a decision about whether there is uncertainty in the first place. The reason he can’t know that is he doesn’t control the PC. Well I guess he could ask the player in question.

The control of the character is the answer to the question of “why the dm can’t determine the uncertainty”. The lack of being able to determine uncertainty is the reason persuasion is different than climbing.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

Yes, it's clear that you're ignoring the bits inconvient to your argument. However, it's also clear that your confusion is due to you ignoring those parts. So long as you ignore the full argument, there's really no where to go here. Maybe you'll reconsider and think through the whole argument, or maybe you won't. Ironically, it's entirely up to you.

No. He should have to roll some dice and let that determine whether or not he understands.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Ah, ah another "you're not really roleplaying" argument.

Sorry. No.

You are defining roleplaying in a very narrow, and I think uninteresting, way.

Sure, SOME players will take the liberty offered by other forms of roleplaying to simply powergame/metagame. But that doesn't mean giving players narrative freedom results in bad roleplaying.

If your goal with strict reliance on dice roles is to force people to roleplay, you are going to be sadly disappointed. Your better option is to not game with the people who don't play in the way you like.

Ah another You'r not really role playing right argument.

Sorry,No.

We can just agree to disagree then. My goal isn't reliance on dice rolls, it's role playing. I'm thrilled for you that you are able to take into account another characters persuasion Charisma skill level and all the mods that go into that and then listen to that role playing activity and then decide on how your fictional characters personality reacts to that outside input without needing the dice rolls to help but my players are not.

Good Luck though in your gaming!

FrogReaver

@clearstream and anyone else on his side that wants to answer

What information is the DM using to determine that the pc bard trying to persuade the pc barbarian has an uncertain outcome?

GameOgre

Adventurer
@clearstream and anyone else on his side that wants to answer

What information is the DM using to determine that the pc bard trying to persuade the pc barbarian has an uncertain outcome?

Mostly the bard speaking in character and then out character rolling the dice and saying"aww crap, I rolled a 8 not so hot, I'ts like I gave that speech while picking my nose! Still my total is a 15! Not too shabby! What does Abtomar The Fierce say?" and then Abtomar the Fierce's Player says something like"Abtomar isn't sure his friend in on the up and up after that entire ghost squirl stunt he pulled last week. I'm gonna use insight to see if i think he is fooling me again or is on the up and up. Player rolls 16 but his -2 modifier drags him down to 14 so in character he says" Abtomar jumps up and draws his Great Axe and charges out of the tavern yelling"you right! but that aint enough! We got to do something NOW!" Out of character the player turns a evil grin towards the bards player"What? you persuaded me to do something about it,you know Abtomar, no reason to wait tomorrow to fight when the night is still young!".

G

Guest 6801328

We can just agree to disagree then. My goal isn't reliance on dice rolls, it's role playing. I'm thrilled for you that you are able to take into account another characters persuasion Charisma skill level and all the mods that go into that and then listen to that role playing activity and then decide on how your fictional characters personality reacts to that outside input without needing the dice rolls to help but my players are not.

That's not speaking very highly of your players. I don't even know them and I'd be willing to be money they are more competent than you seem to think (but maybe with motivations that differ from yours).

Is it they are actually unable to take in the fiction and come up with an appropriate action, or is it that you don't trust them to do so in a way that you think is valid?

GameOgre

Adventurer
That's not speaking very highly of your players. I don't even know them and I'd be willing to be money they are more competent than you seem to think (but maybe with motivations that differ from yours).

Is it they are actually unable to take in the fiction and come up with an appropriate action, or is it that you don't trust them to do so in a way that you think is valid?[/QUO

Mostly they ask me can I roll a check to see if...

ok peoples,im out. you guys have fun

G

Guest 6801328

Mostly the bard speaking in character and then out character rolling the dice and saying"aww crap, I rolled a 8 not so hot, I'ts like I gave that speech while picking my nose! Still my total is a 15! Not too shabby! What does Abtomar The Fierce say?" and then Abtomar the Fierce's Player says something like"Abtomar isn't sure his friend in on the up and up after that entire ghost squirl stunt he pulled last week. I'm gonna use insight to see if i think he is fooling me again or is on the up and up. Player rolls 16 but his -2 modifier drags him down to 14 so in character he says" Abtomar jumps up and draws his Great Axe and charges out of the tavern yelling"you right! but that aint enough! We got to do something NOW!" Out of character the player turns a evil grin towards the bards player"What? you persuaded me to do something about it,you know Abtomar, no reason to wait tomorrow to fight when the night is still young!".

Unless I'm mistaken, this story has changed a lot since the beginning of this thread.

Now it shows the player voluntarily using the dice to decide his action...which is totally fine, if that's what he wants to do. Early on in this thread it was a discussion of whether the player was required to roll the dice and abide by the result.

And the most important thing is that regardless of how the dice come up, the player should be free to take whatever action they want. "Yeah, I used the dice to see if I was persuaded, and I guess I was, but this other motivation still outweighs the force of argument..."

FrogReaver

In that whole exchange where was there ever any uncertainty and how does the DM determine that there was?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases