Joker Teaser Trailer

OTOH, Vader doesn't need any other character to be interesting. Or iconic. The Joker isn't iconic without Batman. Full stop.

If the Star Wars prequels have taught us anything, it's that sand gets everywhere, and that exploring an iconic villains origins isn't always as interesting as it initially sounds on paper. In fact, it can harm the image of the villain a bit.

In my perception, the Joker started off as a pretty goofball villain, as many of Batman's villains did in the original comic. It's later artists that have added a lot more layers to him (and to Batman as well). He is a great villain because of so many years of different takes on him, resulting in a couple of really original ideas. To me, the original Joker was already entertaining, because I really like a villain with a good gimmick. But it's later comics that really made him more than just a gimmick.

I can't say for sure if a Joker movie will work. Maybe with the right actor and a really good script it could become something truly unique. But I have my doubts wether such an iconic villain works as a protagonist, without greatly making changes to his villainous side. That to me is the biggest worry; that they'll make great changes to his character to make him sympathetic and likable, to the point where he is no longer the Joker. The Joker is such a psychopath, that you might need to completely rewrite him, to make him work as the main character. But then what is even the point? On the other hand, if you make him very unlikable, then you're basically watching a movie about an unlikeable protagonist... which did not work out well for Vader.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The utter beauty of the Joker is that every take on him is totally different. In the comics, on TV, and in the movies. He's had different origins, different personalities, different appearances. There is no true Joker. Even Gotham is about to present the final version of their take on the Joker. Guess what? That's different again.

Anybody who sees an interpretation of the Joker and says "that's not the Joker" doesn't know much about the Joker. He's a multiple-choice origin. We will never know what the truth is, but we will see many versions of him. This is just one more. There will be others.

In The Dark Knight, he provided three different origin stories in just one film! In Batman 1999 he was Jack Napier, and killed Bruce Wayne's parents and fell into a vat of acid at Axis Chemicals. In Gotham he's Jeremiah Valeska. In The Killing Joke he's a failed comedian. In Batman Confidential he was a criminal who Batman scarred. Back in the 50s he was the Red Hood. In recent comics continuity they revealed there were actually three Jokers.

This version looks a lot like the Killing Joke version, which is one of the most popular Joker origin stories. If any one is default, it's that one.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You’re doing a lot of begging the question there. Your initial premise isn’t one others agree with, and therefore your conclusions as to why it is true lack foundation.

I'm not sure that paragraph actually says anything, Morrus.

But feel free to argue against the premise, if you disagree with it.

After Leto's horrible take on The Joker I think that having someone like Phoenix play him could be a balm for the soul.

To give credit where credit is due, I actually thought Jared Leto did a really good job as an actor in that role. It was the way the character was written/conceived/directed in Suicide Squad was absolutely terrible. Leto did an impressive job considering what he was given.

The utter beauty of the Joker is that every take on him is totally different. In the comics, on TV, and in the movies. He's had different origins, different personalities, different appearances. There is no true Joker. Even Gotham is about to present the final version of their take on the Joker. Guess what? That's different again.

In The Dark Knight, he provided three different origin stories in just one film! In Batman 1999 he was Jack Napier, and killed Bruce Wayne's parents and fell into a vat of acid at Axis Chemicals. In Gotham he's Jeremiah Valeska. In The Killing Joke he's a failed comedian. In Batman Confidential he was a criminal who Batman scarred. Back in the 50s he was the Red Hood. In recent comics continuity they revealed there were actually three Jokers.

I like Terry's explanation (from Batman beyond Return of the joker, which I know he said just to get under Mr. J's skin but it's still funny) "So you fell in a vat of acid, got your skin bleached, and decided to become a super-villain. What, you couldn't get work as a rodeo clown?"

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
No love for Mark Hamil's Joker? Kevin Conroy should be counted among the best Batmen (?). Is that the correct plural?

No love for Mark Hamil's Joker? Kevin Conroy should be counted among the best Batmen (?). Is that the correct plural?

my favorite Joker moments are both Hamil :
[video=youtube;3KCJxXwq20U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KCJxXwq20U[/video] and [video=youtube;G56VgsLfKY4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4[/video]

Remove ads